Any news on how lads on op tours will activate FM12?

In the sticky that is now locked, somebody from SI said they were looking in to how those away from the UK without the online access to activate a game whilst away can buy it this time round or get it sent to them as a gift. Can anyone from SI/Sega shed any light on that, or any update?

It doesn't affect me this year, but affects mates, and may affect me in future if this online activation fluff is here to stay.

Online access is intermittent at best for those on Herrick for example, and a large number will have no access whatsoever until their first R&R in maybe Jan/Feb or even March. I realise that we're not high priority on everyone's lips and our numbers are small towards sales, but as it was mentioned in the locked thread by somebody from SI...wondered what the score was or whether there's an answer I missed?

I don't thing there is or will be a workaround, unfortunately in the first instant the game will have to be activated online however those in the UK, Germany, etc when the game is release can activate it before an operational tour starts.

As you said there will be a few FM regulars already on deployment when the game is launched who will not be able to download or activate until they are on leave which is a shame but as it would obviously require a level of co-operation between SI/Sega & the top-brass I doubt an solution can be found any time soon, you know how the system works.

Barside - I am thinking the same, just have to take the hit on this one. Big shame, but there we are. The RIP for Herrick has just happened and they're in place until Mar/Apr '12, so bit late for them until any R&R but hey ho.

Madsheep - Will do. Thanks.

Barside - I am thinking the same, just have to take the hit on this one. Big shame, but there we are. The RIP for Herrick has just happened and they're in place until Mar/Apr '12, so bit late for them until any R&R but hey ho.

No worries, hope there is a solution. Best of Luck to you and your mates :thup: :thup:

The Army should find a way to get it done by proxy, I mean what are the Royal Signals for ffs?;)

Or Paradigm. :) It's all contracted out. Bet those Paradigm civvies find a way. If all favours weren't being wasted on getting invites in to their underground bars/hooch huts then good call Kriss!!

They contract out comms?:eek: down to what level? What have they done to my Army?:(

Provision of internet in theatre is civvy run. Provision of personal phone lines in theatre is civvy run. Capped usage for those it serves.

If your a civvy on pop star wages bet you can activate online out there onn steam. With drinking dens thrown in to throw empty beer cans at screen when losing 0-1 in 89th minute on football manager whilst talking to wife/dog/gf for hours.

Moral of story is stay a civvy kriss dont go back. never go back

Moral of story is stay a civvy kriss dont go back. never go back

I doubt Kriss is at risk of being called back, I'm sure that when he fought Florence Nightingale was still in service. :D

It appears that he has turned off the PM function on his forum account which is fair enough, I can only imagine the amount of spam that he received from the board users.

If you have a twitter account he is on there & he does take the time to communicate with folk.

No need to skip a year, once the game is activated you do not need to remain online to play it, worst case scenario is a 4 month wait. That's a tad inconvenient but I'm sure FM11 would still get a hammering during any downtime while the lads wait to get out of theatre.

From the Steam FAQ:

Q. Can I activate an imported version of Football Manager 2012 on my Steam account?

A. Yes. The Steam servers are not region locked, so you can activate the game from anywhere. However, you will not be able to buy through Steam in any countries where we don’t sell the game, and we don’t market or localise the game in any of these regions either.

So basically you can activate from anywhere (as long as you can get an internet connection for a few minutes for the initial activation), you just can't buy the game in countries where the game isn't sold.

but can still order it say from amazon to be delivered through bfpo, ok and steam will be fine out there? at least that helps many. Cool.

That helps guys in bastion on wifi but out on the fobs even with own laptop they're screwed (or anywhere without wifi). You can feed that back to the suits at sega, sure the disappointment and shame will give them sleepless nights. ;)

Ah well, thanks Bertie for input. On the brightside, by beginning of next year on r&r or eot it will be fully patched, and good to go right? :D

Archived