Most Stupid Decisions in Your Career

What have been your most stupid decisions in your career on FM?

Mine would be resigning from Bradford after getting them promoted then getting appointed by Darlington before getting sacked 4 days in. 3 Months later Brighton come knocking, I rejected them. Didn't get another job until end of the season at Burton. Got sacked after 6 month and from then on I never made it past the Conference in terms of jobs. Brighton were in League One at the time and I felt I could do better (stupiddly).

Morale of the story is, don't resign from a club you just got promoted, hoping for a top division job. :o

I Just sold possibly the worlds best right wingers to a league rival, because he was left footed playing on the right, 27 and his contract ended at the end of the season. I ended last season's 33 games with out losing streak with a two nil defeat first game. Its not only him leaving but It didn't help.

What have been your most stupid decisions in your career on FM?

Mine would be resigning from Bradford after getting them promoted then getting appointed by Darlington before getting sacked 4 days in. 3 Months later Brighton come knocking, I rejected them. Didn't get another job until end of the season at Burton. Got sacked after 6 month and from then on I never made it past the Conference in terms of jobs. Brighton were in League One at the time and I felt I could do better (stupiddly).

Morale of the story is, don't resign from a club you just got promoted, hoping for a top division job. :o

I read the excellent book on Clough; "As long as you don't kiss me" (or something like that).

In it, he spoke about Brian Clough always, always drumming in to him "Never, ever, never, ever resign. If you're thinking of resigning, go home and sleep on it and keep doing that until you've decided not to resign". I think Clough was ruminating on his experiences at Derby County. :D

Leaving a team after taking them all the way up to Serie a in Brazil. my passion to help clubs in trouble got the best of me :\

This.

I have a major habbit of starting in BSS/BSN with financially stricken clubs that are struggling to stay in the league, and taking them to the Premiership, then doing it again.

playing as dundee united i beat benfica 3-0 away in the 1st leg of the last 16 in the champions league. 3 days before the 2nd leg we had to play rangers in the final of the scottish league cup. i value cups as important though the board didnt care about this competition. i put out my 1st team and the match went into extra time before we got a late late goal to give us the trophy. sadly all my key players were now very low on fitness and i had to put out a 2nd string for the benfica game. i got destroyed 4-1 at home and went out on the away goals rule.

Thinking how great i could be at other clubs. Example: I was at Brentford doing ok sitting 2 points outside the play offs in march and a few managers got the sack and i thought i would get the job and thinking of the money they are able to spend(i think one of the jobs were Reading) so i quit knowing i would have a better chance of getting the job if i were unemployed but failed to get the job and ended up at Macclesfield.

In FM 09, spending 8 seasons getting Wolves promoted and then established in the Premier League, then deciding to quit for Wolfsburg where I lasted 236 days before getting the ass.

Have always wondered what might have been had I stayed at Wolves to see the fruits of my labour develop. Mind you, this course of events led to my appointment at Salamanca, where I had them promoted to La Liga before heading to Villareal, picking up a few La Liga Titles and a Champions League trophy. Then onward to Juventus and 3 Scudetto's and 4 Champions Leagues on the trot.

Currently at Ligue 2 side LOSC Lille Metropole , in an attempt to get them promoted before FM 12 is released LOL

Deciding to take the role of manager of Fiji. Sure it is a beatiful island and diving there is excellent, but football-wise.... it is a waste of time...

Who has time for football when you are surrounded by island women? ;)

I built a great team with my beloved Sporting Lisbon, lead them to four consecutive Portuguese titles and we reached the CL semifinals for the first time in the previous year. I was offered the job at Barcelona in December and I did what most of the mangers would: I accepted. Meanwhile, Luciano Spalletti took over Sporting. With plenty of money to spend in Cataluña, I signed Hazard, Kroos and a right-back newgen for £95m, won the Champions League with ease and finished second 2 points behind Real Madrid. Barcelona had a great team, but it wasn't MY team. I resigned after just half a season and waited for an offer.

Luckily, Spalletti did a great job at Sporting, moved to At. Madrid and I applied for the Sporting job. I was already on their favoured personel and I got back home. Since then, I managed to win another two league titles and a Champions League against Napoli after defeating Barcelona in the semis. :D

Having recently gotten into a 'rising from the bottom career' sort of save I quickly learned not to jump too quickly assuming you could get anything better. Related to that was when I got Sheffield Wednesday promoted to League 1 (it was a long way into the save file), but had a poor start and accepted an offer, to take effect at the end of the season, from a Wycombe side with plenty of money, and looking to get back into the Championship (like I said, it was far in the future). However as the season went on, our form improved considerably to move comfortably into mid-table while Wycombe's playoff charge fell apart. I left after a couple of unsuccessful goes at promotion (though the second saw a playoff final appearance) while my old side romped to an easy promotion. It looked a sensible enough move when I accepted the offer, struggling newly-promoted side to well-fancied promotion candidates isn't a massive leap but is reasonable enough but still counts given how I was judging my prospects with both sides too early in the season, around October/nearly Nov at latest. Things went alright after that at least.

As England manager, turning down the Liverpool job. Didnt know the AI dont like using young players. Could have bought all the young potential stars to Anfield and tried to turn them into world class stars for the national team. Now about 3 years on and other than Shelvey, Wilshere, Rodwell and a couple centre backs theres not alot of young talent under 23 for me to choose from.

Another reason for turning them down is I find it difficult to have a club and country job at the same time, results seem to go bad when I do that.

Three stupid decisions, two in one save in FM09 and the other in FM10

#1) FM09 - leaving Gillingham for Celtic. I might as well just go back to a low level Championship club because it certainly wasn't fun and players were whining about wanting to leave all the time

#2) FM09 - leaving Celtic for Ajax. Never ever manage a rival club you support.. :(

#3) FM10 - leaving Zenit for Real Madrid. I stopped playing the save a week after because it got a bit boring with the abundance of resources at Real, as well as me really missing the club I developed at Zenit.

As the manager of Arbroath, having got them promoted to the SPL and into Europe, accepting an offer from Celtic to become their manager.

Overpaid players, board and fans moaning every time you failed to win 4-0, and their star player decided to start playing really poorly. Definitely should have stayed at Arbroath. I was sort of hoping that the new manager would get them relegated and I could go back later to complete the job, but they've been doing really well since I left.

Leaving Banbury United (who I’d gotten promoted from Southern Premier League to League Two) for Notodden in Norway.

Biggest regret wasn’t leaving… it was for over-writing the save and not being able to go back to Banbury.

Gutted I was. I was only in Notodden for 1 week when I started missing my Banbury players and staff… :-(

Signed Neymar on a free on my AC Milan, agreed at the end of his contract, in 3 weeks time (8th August).

I forgot the foreign rule in Italy, i signed a 4.5star PA youngster on a free, from Argentina.

I lost Neymar, he went to Inter.

He scored 3 times against me.

They won the league that year.

He was top scorer with 33 league goals.

I asked my board to negotiate a contract with an older player who I felt could cement my push for first time promotion from the Championship. He only cost me £210k to buy...

The idiots ended up giving him £79k a week, on a 2 year deal... with a 40% promotion pay rise.

To put it in perspective, my wage budget at the time was 110k a week. I was using 105k a week. The extra 79k a week was... ridiculous. I was expecting 10-20k at most!

That was 8 mil minimum, 10 mil maximum he was going to cost me. If I hadn't been promoted I would have been ruined.

He got a 7.1 in the playoff final, and a season record of Played 22, scored 2, 10 assists and an average of 7.03. We went up, and his wage became even sillier. We went up 4 mil in debt (the first debt of that save... A debt I never fully recovered from until this season, when I've had to gut my side and concentrate on consolidating a top 4 place.

While he helped us gain that promotion, I'm sure we would have done it without him. He was awful in the premiership, and finally left on a mutual termination in March. Over all him leaving saved me (after his payoff) £900k at the back end of that first season.

I've never asked the board since.

Started a new save with Barca...went through hours of setting things up, playing friendlies, first few league matches etc...then I somehow bungled the Champions League squad registration process and managed to leave Messi out of the squad :confused: ...now I always always save before I name a squad

Archived