Barcelona doesn't know the meaning of the word friendly

I decided to try making a friendly for some of the youngsters as my first team was going to be playing in the Club World Cup (the friendly ended up being after the CWC). Barcelona accepted my request for a friendly; I figured it would be a good opportunity for my top prospects to get some experience against some world class players. Seeing how this was during their winter break, I figured my kids would probably be up against barca youngsters, back ups, and heck maybe even a couple of first teamers if I was lucky.

I never expected this :D:

friendly.png

I wasn't expecting to be up against the same players who beat my first team 4-2 in the second leg of the Champions League Semi Final in the previous season (I won 6-5 on agg.) :D

Needless to say, the kids lost 5-1 (I was quite pleased that they grabbed one).

I have to say though, a part of me feels like this wouldn't have happened in real life. I feel like the AI always takes friendlies way too seriously; they almost always go full strength and they always tackle hard.

Well, at least that how it was in FM10. I dunno if that changed in FM11.

I can only imagine the look on the faces of the members of my starting 11 (who were 16-21....and then 36 yr old Xavi). Imagine if such a thing happened in real life lol

I take your point about friendlies in the game (that teams tackle hard and dont perhaps treat the game as a non-competitive game whilst its being played) but I think you'll find a lot of teams in leagues where there is a winter break will organise friendlies to keep players match fit and will often play strong starting line ups for that very reason.

I take your point about friendlies in the game (that teams tackle hard and dont perhaps treat the game as a non-competitive game whilst its being played) but I think you'll find a lot of teams in leagues where there is a winter break will organise friendlies to keep players match fit and will often play strong starting line ups for that very reason.

Oddly enough that point did not really hit me until after I wrote this up.

Archived