A Few Important Questions Regarding Sticky FAQ

I would like to point out that this is NOT a thread regarding the issue of Steam activation as it has been covered, so I plead with everyone to not discuss the matters that were in that thread. To make it clear:

Q. What should I do if I’m having issues related to my Steam Account?

A. As stated previously, this is the only thing we cannot assist on; you will need to contact Steam Support directly: (https://support.steampowered.com/)

I have no questions regarding this, so I should be in the 'safe zone' with these few questions regarding David-SEGA's FM2012 Activation/Steam FAQ (locked sticky). If anyone has questions regarding what is stated above please use the Steam Support and refrain from asking in here, thanks.

Q. Can I install Football Manager 2012 on multiple computers?

A. Yes. When activated once on your Steam account, all you have to do to play the game on a new computer is install Steam and re-download the game from your Steam games library. You can do this on as many computers as you like; the only limitation is that you can only log in to your Steam account on one computer at a time.

Q. Can I play more than 1 copy of Football Manager 2012 at a time?

A. As mentioned, you can have the game installed on more than one machine at a time, but you can only play on a single machine. If you were playing on your desktop and then moved to your laptop, you would need to log-in to Steam on your laptop, which would then sign you out of your desktop.

These two points are fairly similar so the question I have is: are there any safety measures regarding this issue? The reason I ask is that let's say, for example, that my computer breaks and/or the hard disk is damaged while my game is in offline mode, will it effect the possibility of logging on to Steam from another/new computer so that I can still play FM?

Q. What happens if I’ve activated the game already and the Steam servers are currently down? Can I play Football Manager 2012?

A. If you have set your Steam client to run in Offline Mode and have checked the game works, then yes, whether the Steam servers are up or not is irrelevant, you will be able to play the game.

So, in other words as long as the FM gammer is in offline mode then you are relatively safe. But for the ones that are online could this mean that you might have problems playing the game while this occurs? What if this problem turns out to be of a more permanent nature, is there a contingency plan in place from SI/SEGA's side?

Q. What happens if I lose or damage my disc?

A. The benefit of Steam is that you can download the complete game direct from Steam. Simply log-in to your Steam account, select the ‘Game Library’ and this will tell you if Football Manager 2012 is installed, if it is not, you can simply click and then select ‘install’. The game downloaded will automatically be the latest version, so there is no need to worry about patches etc, as in previous years.

Not exactly in relation to losing/damaging your disc, but what if you wanted to sell your disc after the install - as many have done in the past on popular sites such as ebay. There has been a lot of talk about the licensing issue but it is still unclear. So, the question: is it illegal to resell your license? And if so, 1: can SI/SEGA state the exact law regarding this so that the FM gamer is fully aware of what they may and may not do (so not to unintentially break any laws due to misinterpretations)? And 2: will it be stated in the boxed version?

NOTE: For the people who do participate in this thread, please refrain from using this thread to slag off any of the decisions made from SI/SEGA's side. This thread is solely to clarify some of the questions regarding David - Sega's FAQ sticky at the top of this forum.

Thanks

LL

These two points are fairly similar so the question I have is: are there any safety measures regarding this issue? The reason I ask is that let's say, for example, that my computer breaks and/or the hard disk is damaged while my game is in offline mode, will it effect the possibility of logging on to Steam from another/new computer so that I can still play FM?

you can install steam onto any computer and log into your account on said computer, doesnt matter if it is set to offline mode if your computer breaks, basically you can access your steam account from any computer as long as its connected to the net, you can then set that computer to offline mode and your good to go.

So, in other words as long as the FM gammer is in offline mode then you are relatively safe. But for the ones that are online could this mean that you might have problems playing the game while this occurs? What if this problem turns out to be of a more permanent nature, is there a contingency plan in place from SI/SEGA's side?

remember with this point there are tens of millions of steam users, steam will do everything possible to get their servers back up as soon as possible if that was to happen, for the record in the 5 years i have used steam i have never had a problem with the steam servers, but that is obviously not to say it could happen at some point. If they were to go down permenantly i would imagine there is a fall back plan. FM users will be a very small percentage of steam users at any time, maybe 1-2% if heaps of us are on at once, steam will not be doing anything more for FM than they would for any other game that requries steam.

Not exactly in relation to losing/damaging your disc, but what if you wanted to sell your disc after the install - as many have done in the past on popular sites such as ebay. There has been a lot of talk about the licensing issue but it is still unclear. So, the question: is it illegal to resell your license? And if so, 1: can SI/SEGA state the exact law regarding this so that the FM gamer is fully aware of what they may and may not do (so not to unintentially break any laws due to misinterpretations)? And 2: will it be stated in the boxed version? Not exactly in relation to losing/damaging your disc, but what if you wanted to sell your disc after the install - as many have done in the past on popular sites such as ebay. There has been a lot of talk about the licensing issue but it is still unclear. So, the question: is it illegal to resell your license? And if so, 1: can SI/SEGA state the exact law regarding this so that the FM gamer is fully aware of what they may and may not do (so not to unintentially break any laws due to misinterpretations)? And 2: will it be stated in the boxed version?

After a version of FM has been linked to an account it cannot be unlinked, SI will not state anything about this on the box as it is part of the EULA that you should read before installing the game.

you can install steam onto any computer and log into your account on said computer, doesnt matter if it is set to offline mode if your computer breaks, basically you can access your steam account from any computer as long as its connected to the net, you can then set that computer to offline mode and your good to go.

So, that means in principle I can go to my brothers house and download Steam (plus apply offline mode) to play my FM game. If his hard disk breaks then I can go on to my friend's house and if the same happens to him (I know it is highly unlikely) then I do not have to worry as there is no limitation on how many computers this can happen on. :cool:

remember with this point there are tens of millions of steam users, steam will do everything possible to get their servers back up as soon as possible if that was to happen, for the record in the 5 years i have used steam i have never had a problem with the steam servers, but that is obviously not to say it could happen at some point. If they were to go down permenantly i would imagine there is a fall back plan. FM users will be a very small percentage of steam users at any time, maybe 1-2% if heaps of us are on at once, steam will not be doing anything more for FM than they would for any other game that requries steam.

What exactly is the contingency plan, though?

After a version of FM has been linked to an account it cannot be unlinked, SI will not state anything about this on the box as it is part of the EULA that you should read before installing the game.

I am pretty sure if your product is bound by a certain law then it has to be present on the product itself (by law). It is not up to the consumer to presume any laws, how can a consumer know about an EULA law if they have no idea it exists?

I am pretty sure if your product is bound by a certain law then it has to be present on the product itself (by law). It is not up to the consumer to presume any laws, how can a consumer know about an EULA law if they have no idea it exists?

Because you tick a box to say you've read it during the installation ;)

It's nothing to do with FM or the Eula that makes it non transferable, it's a condition of your Steam account.

But since the boxed game requires that you download a 3rd party program, it has to stat on the box all of the terms and conditions that will lie within it. If any of you read the Product Liability laws or the Customer & Consumer Protection laws it clearly stats this, especially under the Failure to Warn part.

There's no point in asking that here, once again it's only Steam/Valve who can answer that question.

The problem that lies here is that not all of us will be buying through Steam, if we all did then it would be their problem, but if we buy the boxed version through our local gamming store then where does the responsability lie?

But since the boxed game requires that you download a 3rd party program, it has to stat on the box all of the terms and conditions that will lie within it. If any of you read the Product Liability laws or the Customer & Consumer Protection laws it clearly stats this, especially under the Failure to Warn part.

The problem that lies here is that not all of us will be buying through Steam, if we all did then it would be their problem, but if we buy the boxed version through our local gamming store then where does the responsability lie?

Sorry but you really are just playing with words or deliberately misunderstanding.

Do you honestly think that Sega with their huge legal department and Valve serving somewhat above 35M customers won't have made sure they've covered all the required legal prerequisites?

If you do then you need to be taking it up with them independantly, because I'me pretty sure nobody here will be able to satisfy your demand for answers.

Sorry but you really are just playing with words or deliberately misunderstanding.

Do you honestly think that Sega with their huge legal department and Valve serving somewhat above 35M customers won't have made sure they've covered all the required legal prerequisites?

If you do then you need to be taking it up with them independantly, because I'me pretty sure nobody here will be able to satisfy your demand for answers.

No, why are you getting annoyed? I think this issue is in a very grey area and am merely seeking clarity. How do you expect me to understand this if you (or anyone else here) do not know the answer to this?

No, why are you getting annoyed? I think this issue is in a very grey area and am merely seeking clarity. How do you expect me to understand this if you do not know (or anyone else here) the answer to this?

You go and ask somebody who does know, e.g. Sega, Valve or your lawyer, not SI incidentally, it's nothing to do with them.

Your acting like FM is the first game to move onto steam, its not, this has been happening for years, do you really think SEGA and more importantly Valve havent thought of all of this before?

Most of what your asking should be asked on the steam forum really, its not strictly FM related, all thats going to happen is this will decsend into a legal argument over steam.

It's not SI/Sega, it's Sega, SI are just a department of Sega whose sole purpose is to develop the game, they have nothing to do with the terms it's sold under.

If you have any queries regarding the Eula contact Sega, for queries on transferability of games you play via Steam contact Steam/Valve.

It's not SI/Sega, it's Sega, SI are just a department of Sega whose sole purpose is to develop the game, they have nothing to do with the terms it's sold under.

If you have any queries regarding the Eula contact Sega, for queries on transferability of games you play via Steam contact Steam/Valve.

Ok, fair enough, I should have left SI out of it (fixed)...

For the queries on transferability of games you play via Steam then it seems that there is an easy workaround then. Make a Steam account with only one game on it, when you are tired of it you can resell it (complete with Steam account, email address and password) - unless that, of course, is illegal...

Ok, fair enough, I should have left SI out of it...

For the queries on transferability of games you play via Steam then it seems that there is an easy workaround then. Make a Steam account with only one game on it, when you are tired of it you can resell it (complete with Steam account, email address and password) - unless that, of course, is illegal...

Check with Steam, I'm pretty sure their terms forbid that.

Thanks for the advice, now as this is actually about Steam and not FM, I'll close this.

Might I suggest you make your points of view known on the Steam forums, I'm sure they'll be only to eager to help.

Archived