*OFFICIAL* Blog Feedback - Licensing

I've always wondered why there is an official SPL license but never a Scottish football league one, I know the SFL like all Scottish associations can be a right pain but surely a 2ltr bottle of Irn-Bru & a weeks supply of take-away dinner's should have been enough to secure an official license. ;)

Im still waiting for EA to not have exclusive rights to the premier league clubs.

Interesting what you pick up on the internet, while looking for details on Satan's licensing deals I noticed that his product has its retail release the day before FM, I wonder how much of a tonking they'll get this year.

The licensing is something that, imo, it's not important in FM.

The way the game is made, allow the users to compile all the logos, facepics, kits, competitions game. In fact, why bother with the 4200 facepics that come with the game, when in the community we can donwload 90.000 face pics?

Even the "problem" with the German (and netherland i think also) national team, its not a real problem (google it, and its solve).

With this in mind... one think i like to know... do SI pay for this licenses? Because, if they do, what a waste of money! :(

The way the game is made, allow the users to compile all the logos, facepics, kits, competitions game. In fact, why bother with the 4200 facepics that come with the game, when in the community we can donwload 90.000 face pics?

Even the "problem" with the German (and netherland i think also) national team, its not a real problem (google it, and its solve).

With this in mind... one think i like to know... do SI pay for this licenses? Because, if they do, what a waste of money! :(

Some of us don't use any graphics for FM for various reasons. One of them being is that graphics can cause crash dumps which was the case with FM 2011. That's why we appreciate licensing.

IF user created packs are endorsed by SI then it's a waste of money, but what the licences provide is quite nice even though it can be re created by a user. people like EA hog licenses though and i dont see them giving up on it any time soon, with a fifa advert for football live on sky and access to the PPI and the little logo always there.

People like licensed games, it's why FIFA always outsold PES, many folk prefer to be Manchester United than Northwest Reds.

Will we be able to at least mod japanese leagues in ? Last year there are lots of crippled tabs which ruined the game. :(

It's unlikely. Previous FMs have also not bad the information tab for Japanese clubs and if things stay status quo we should expect the same this year.

Some of us don't use any graphics for FM for various reasons. One of them being is that graphics can cause crash dumps which was the case with FM 2011. That's why we appreciate licensing.

Ok, fair enough! My experience it's completly different. Always used custom graphics and never had a crash dump because of that.

"Italy – We have licenses in Italy with the following clubs, in alphabetical order… AC.Milan, Atalanta, Bologna, Cagliari, Catania, Cesena, Chievo Verona, Fiorentina, Genoa, Inter, Juventus, Lazio, Lecce, Palermo, Parma, Roma, Sampdoria, Udinese."

A total of 18 Italian clubs with just Sampdoria not in Serie A. It just seems strange that Sega couldnt get the 3 missing Serie A teams Napoli, Novara and Siena.

Doesnt realy matter much as I guess user compiled packs are already in development for FM12. Only problem I hope never arises is players real names in the unlicenced league are not allowed to be used and we have a Jens Mustermann instead of a Oliver Khan.

[video=youtube;wjd7L6txGLk]

People like licensed games, it's why FIFA always outsold PES, many folk prefer to be Manchester United than Northwest Reds.

Ok, but the point i was trying to make was, in FM we can create those logos, kits, etc etc etc. If the game was a little "pandora box", like Fifa or Pes, where we couldn't add our graphics, then the licensing issue would have, imo, a much greater importance.

But in the case of FM, this point can be easily turn around by the fantastic work of the community. And of course, we also have to thank to SI for creating a game that allow so much custom graphics.

Like everybody else, i like to play with the oficial competitions names, the real logos, kits etc etc.

Would this usually be the blog where any new leagues are announced? So i take it there aren't any additional leagues compared to the last version?

Thanks for any response

I would also like to know the answer to this, any new playable nations this year? I Doubt there will be but it would be cool if there was.

Ok, but the point i was trying to make was, in FM we can create those logos, kits, etc etc etc. If the game was a little "pandora box", like Fifa or Pes, where we couldn't add our graphics, then the licensing issue would have, imo, a much greater importance.

But in the case of FM, this point can be easily turn around by the fantastic work of the community. And of course, we also have to thank to SI for creating a game that allow so much custom graphics.

Like everybody else, i like to play with the oficial competitions names, the real logos, kits etc etc.

Thanking a company for making a shrewd business move! Fairly unusual but, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

Thanking a company for making a shrewd business move! Fairly unusual but, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

if they made the game so that was impossible to add custom graphics, do you think they would lose costumers? IMO, they would not lose users.

So, with that in mind, i dont have any problems to thank SI, for making the game in a way that users can make there own graphics.

"Italy – We have licenses in Italy with the following clubs, in alphabetical order… AC.Milan, Atalanta, Bologna, Cagliari, Catania, Cesena, Chievo Verona, Fiorentina, Genoa, Inter, Juventus, Lazio, Lecce, Palermo, Parma, Roma, Sampdoria, Udinese."

A total of 18 Italian clubs with just Sampdoria not in Serie A. It just seems strange that Sega couldnt get the 3 missing Serie A teams Napoli, Novara and Siena.

Doesnt realy matter much as I guess user compiled packs are already in development for FM12. Only problem I hope never arises is players real names in the unlicenced league are not allowed to be used and we have a Jens Mustermann instead of a Oliver Khan.

[video=youtube;wjd7L6txGLk]

de laurentis probably wanted some cash from SI

It's unlikely. Previous FMs have also not bad the information tab for Japanese clubs and if things stay status quo we should expect the same this year.

But nobody ever gives an explanation why Japan is the only country where there are hardcoded obstacles to including it in the game. In some places where FM doesn't have licenses they even put in the real database but covered it up (French national team and others). SIGames has to tell us why Japan is the only country where users aren't allowed to re-create the league themselves without bugs.

Don't have time to listen to the podcast, so I'll just ask a quick question:

Why does the licensing seem to prevent SI from letting the German team be filled out with newgens as they come into the game? Greyed out players and all that are one thing, but why can't the team be filled out by "fake" players as the game progresses?

It's a combination of EA's exclusive license & Germany's strong IP laws, Google should provide more in-depth information on the matter as we cannot go into too much detail on the forum.

shame that they lost the portuguese licence. more of a shame that they can never get the EPL licences, as I feel this slightly ruins the game for me (i like the realism of actual pictures and logos etc) and last year i started the game the day i got it with an english championship team due to them having the licences for the team, but once the updates for pics and logos was found, i used those, but couldnt bring them into my saved game, so had to start again. and the same will probably happen this year too :(

shame that they lost the portuguese licence. more of a shame that they can never get the EPL licences, as I feel this slightly ruins the game for me (i like the realism of actual pictures and logos etc) and last year i started the game the day i got it with an english championship team due to them having the licences for the team, but once the updates for pics and logos was found, i used those, but couldnt bring them into my saved game, so had to start again. and the same will probably happen this year too :(
What? Something must have went wrong, because any downloaded pic or logo packs should apply to all save games, not just new ones.

I must admit I do not understand why full licenses are so important to some people, yes they add a nice bit of frosting to the game but to treat the absence of logo's & pictures as game-breaking is beyond me.

"Every year the licensing team at SEGA trawl the world for official football licenses for the Football Manager series, and this year is no different.

We have a plethora of licenses for the game, and are very grateful to all of our licensors around the world for the information and help that they give to us to make Football Manager as good as it possibly can be.

So today’s blog is a rundown of all of the licenses we have in this year’s game:

Australia – We again have a license with the Hyundai A-League, this allows us to feature both league and club logos, as well as the proper fixture list for the current season."

Miles Jacobson

If this is the truth then Miles what you told me on Twitter was a lie, you advised me that due to the agreement with the FFA regarding the structure/format of the A-League that you can't change the structure from 2 competitions (Regular Season - League, Finals Series - Cup) however according to your new post the only thing the agreement gives you the right to use the logo and fixture.

So once again if you only get access to the trademark materials why do you still use a 2 competition structure for the A-League rather than 1 competition with multiple stages (Regular Season -> Final Series) use the format used by the MLS not the made up stuff that has currently used.

This is how Australia should operate...

Stage 1:
Regular Season (top 6 qualify for the finals series with 1st qualifying for the Asian Champions League (ACL))

Stage 2:
Finals Series (this only runs for 4 weeks with a specific structure in which the grand final winner gets the 2nd ACL spot, if this is the stage 1 winner then the runner up gets the spot)

Week 1:
Major Semi Final - Leg 1 (First v Second [A] 2nd are Hosts)

Week 1:
Knockout Semi Final (Third v Sixth
3rd are Hosts, and Fourth v Fifth [C] 4th are Hosts)

Week 2:
Major Semi Final - Leg 2 (Second v First [A] 1st are Hosts)

Week 2:
Minor Semi Final (B v C [D] B are Hosts)

Week 3:
Preliminary Final (Loser A v D [E] Loser A are Hosts)

Week 4:
Grand Final (Winner A v E, Winner A are Hosts)

You currently do both of these however instead of having separate competitions just make the a single competition...

Please respond to clarify why you told me that you can't touch the completion however the agreement mention above doesn't mention that.

Regards and waiting for a reply...

---

To vote and provide feedback on my general discussion topic to introduce Staff Roles and Duties into FM Series please click on my provided link to do so http://bit.ly/u8WoDS

If this is the truth then Miles what you told me on Twitter was a lie, you advised me that due to the agreement with the FFA regarding the structure/format of the A-League that you can't change the structure from 2 competitions (Regular Season - League, Finals Series - Cup) however according to your new post the only thing the agreement gives you the right to use the logo and fixture.

So once again if you only get access to the trademark materials why do you still use a 2 competition structure for the A-League rather than 1 competition with multiple stages (Regular Season -> Final Series) use the format used by the MLS not the made up stuff that has currently used.

This is how Australia should operate...

Stage 1:
Regular Season (top 6 qualify for the finals series with 1st qualifying for the Asian Champions League (ACL))

Stage 2:
Finals Series (this only runs for 4 weeks with a specific structure in which the grand final winner gets the 2nd ACL spot, if this is the stage 1 winner then the runner up gets the spot)

Week 1:
Major Semi Final - Leg 1 (First v Second [A] 2nd are Hosts)

Week 1:
Knockout Semi Final (Third v Sixth
3rd are Hosts, and Fourth v Fifth [C] 4th are Hosts)

Week 2:
Major Semi Final - Leg 2 (Second v First [A] 1st are Hosts)

Week 2:
Minor Semi Final (B v C [D] B are Hosts)

Week 3:
Preliminary Final (Loser A v D [E] Loser A are Hosts)

Week 4:
Grand Final (Winner A v E, Winner A are Hosts)

You currently do both of these however instead of having separate competitions just make the a single competition...

Please respond to clarify why you told me that you can't touch the completion however the agreement mention above doesn't mention that.

Regards and waiting for a reply...

cant see where he has lied... unless i'm missing somethig here

cant see where he has lied... unless i'm missing somethig here

Sorry if this is a little unclear, I posted on my twitter account towards Si Games & Miles to hopefully understand why a licensed league has been coded incorrectly in every Football Manager game since they were official (Australia has been official since FM07). The reply I got from Miles was due to the commercial licensing agreement they can't change the structure of the A-League which currently is structured as 2 separate competitions with Hyundai A-League (Regular Season) and Hyundai Final Series.

The question I have raised since FM07 is why don't SI change the coding so instead of 2 separate competitions structure it like it is in the MLS with Multiple Stages (this was found out by using MagicMasterMind124's advanced editor add-on to the official editor supplied by SI - see the Editor Forum for details) the actual structure of each competitions is correct however the behind the scenes coding split the Hyundai A-League.

So the above example is for a Hyundai A-League in which the Regular Season (League Format) is used as a qualifying competition for the Finals Series (Knockout for Trophy). Similar to how their a pool games and then a knockout series in the World Cup.

So on face value SI have Australia working correctly however the behind the scenes has been incorrect for the last 5 years, surely if passionate fans of the series what things changed in the game to make them better then SI should listen as this will make the league closer the 100% realistic rather than 50/75% realistic.

Regards

---

To vote and provide feedback on my general discussion topic to introduce Staff Roles and Duties into FM Series please click on my provided link to do so http://bit.ly/u8WoDS

But nobody ever gives an explanation why Japan is the only country where there are hardcoded obstacles to including it in the game. In some places where FM doesn't have licenses they even put in the real database but covered it up (French national team and others). SIGames has to tell us why Japan is the only country where users aren't allowed to re-create the league themselves without bugs.

Konami have rights to J-League. PES is huge selling game in Japan because of this. Presumably Konami wont let anyone use the Japan as they hold the licence for 20 years.

• SI Staff
I've always wondered why there is an official SPL license but never a Scottish football league one, I know the SFL like all Scottish associations can be a right pain but surely a 2ltr bottle of Irn-Bru & a weeks supply of take-away dinner's should have been enough to secure an official license. ;)

No games have an SFL license. On a personal level it would be great to be able to get one but you can't always get what you want.

Im still waiting for EA to not have exclusive rights to the premier league clubs.

I expect you'll be waiting a long time.

What if we didn't have a license for, say, the French league and as a result we couldn't have it in the game?

Odd really, considering I thought there was a good working relationship between Konami and SI. I'm sure a few years ago Konami used FM's database (with SI's permission, obv) to improve the accuracy of its player ability stats?

I don't think it's got anything to do with Konami. Is the J-League even in PES? I thought it was just in Winning Eleven but I've not been following it much these days.

Archived