FM12 digital download virgin - help required

Could someone please advise how I go about buying a digital download and getting to the point of activation (I trust the Steam site makes that quite easy), if I buy from another site (not Steam's). Ive nothing against Steam per se but I will shop around for the best deal as this is my first digital download.

Just a rough guide will help, or maybe when you click on the downloaded game icon it all becomes obvious anyway?. I just wonder if buying from Steam direct makes the whole process much simpler. Price is not my key concern, playing the game over breakfast on 21st Oct with no hassle is. Please do not post pro or anti Steam/activation stuff, am trying to move beyond that and into the practicalities of just playing the game.

Getting it from Steam would be a matter of logging into your account, browsing to the FM2012 page, clicking Add to cart, clicking Purchase for myself, entering payment details, and finally confirming. The game will then appear in your Library. Whenever it's unlocked it can be downloaded, installed and played.

Getting it from somewhere else means you get a key code which you input into Steam (Games > Activate a Product on Steam). The game will then appear in your Library and whenever it's unlocked it can be downloaded, installed and played, same as if you'd purchased directly from Steam.

I suppose I should add, on the point of "Price is not my key concern, playing the game over breakfast on 21st Oct with no hassle is", that getting it from a third party obviously means you rely on them sending you the key on time, which has been an issue for some in the past. I've purchased from Green Man Gaming as these guys were cheap and have been good about being on time before for me. You can also often pre-load the game on Steam the day before release, meaning you only need to get the final 1% on release-day and can get into the game very quickly. This, also, is obviously only available to you if you get the key from the 3rd party some time before unlock time so you've been able to add it to your Library.

The absolute most reliable way is to buy from Steam. I'm cheap, so I'm happy to risk a slight delay in exchange for paying half the Steam price. :)

I suppose I should add, on the point of "Price is not my key concern, playing the game over breakfast on 21st Oct with no hassle is", that getting it from a third party obviously means you rely on them sending you the key on time, which has been an issue for some in the past. I've purchased from Green Man Gaming as these guys were cheap and have been good about being on time before for me. You can also often pre-load the game on Steam the day before release, meaning you only need to get the final 1% on release-day and can get into the game very quickly. This, also, is obviously only available to you if you get the key from the 3rd party some time before unlock time so you've been able to add it to your Library.

The absolute most reliable way is to buy from Steam. I'm cheap, so I'm happy to risk a slight delay in exchange for paying half the Steam price. :)

Thanksto all for the replies so far. Seems Steam will be most reliable as ultimately activation wil be via Steam anyway. Probably could save £5 over shop retail but it will cost £3 ish petrol to get there and back. Never realised from others you just get the "key" as opposed to the game download less activation (may save £10 but possible delays in key receipt really put me off that). Makes Steam seem by far the best option.

Archived