Moderation policy in these forums

I'm opening this thread in the hope of starting a discussion on the moderation policy and how it is actioned, in these forums.

How do people feel about moderation here?

My view is that, recently, it has become authoritarian, with the goal of stifling discussion to protect the interests of SI/SEGA. Such policies are not consistent with, certainly, what I always felt to be a place that valued the input of the community and respected diversity of opinions.

As evidence of my view, I refer to 3 specific threads that have been closed.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/274801-A-Message-On-Football-Manager-2012-Activation

^^^

The long running discussion on FM12 Steam activation

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/274804-Poll-on-Steam-activation

^^^

The poll and parallel thread

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/274914-POLL-STEAM-for-FM-2012

^^^

A follow up thread when the initial poll was closed.

I would, personally, suggest that, in this thread if we are to discuss this issues, that we should not make any criticism of INDIVIDUAL moderators. Rather, we should criticise the actions as part of a wider policy.

The reason why the threads have been closed is because the same old discussion was happening. This was because too many people were complaining about Steam and not bringing any constructive advice or posts to thread. I do believe there is a email that you can email if you have an issue with the moderating procedures. I'll wait for a mod to say if there is or not.

The reason why the threads have been closed is because the same old discussion was happening. This was because too many people were complaining about Steam and not bringing any constructive advice or posts to thread. I do believe there is a email that you can email if you have an issue with the moderating procedures. I'll wait for a mod to say if there is or not.

A fundamental part of free speech is that it is not for higher authorities to decide whether or not a discussion has run its course. That is for the people to decide.

If you have an issue with moderation, please use the contact us link on the bottom of the page, that goes through to SI who will then be able to look at your concerns. That is the most practical way of getting your concerns looked at. The reasons as for why those threads were closed were discussed in those threads... and this thread is not likely to bring anything new to light on those subjects. I cannot personally see this thread lasting long before there is a post that causes a need for this thread to be locked also.

A fundamental part of free speech is that it is not for higher authorities to decide whether or not a discussion has run its course. That is for the people to decide.

You don't have free speech on these forums. Firstly, SI are a British-based company, so is not bound by the First Amendment, and Britain's laws on the restriction of speech are more restrictive than the American equivalent. Secondly, SI are a private company and are perfectly entitled to restrict any speech they wish to on their private forum.

Archived