Coming back to FM

Hi - as a former semi-addict of CM/FM, I'm in a bit of trouble.

In the past couple of years, I've really struggled with the game - I don't know whether its down to not being able to commit enough time, or simply not being good enough any more - but I just consistently failed, which spoilt my enjoyment.

Anyone, due to a recent change in circumstances (ok, I'm single again now) I've placed an order for FM12 and will be able to commit to taking it seriously, and playing a long save.

But, and here's the problem, I can't really conceive of where to start!

I've spent some time the past week or so reading the forums here, and got some good tips that would be useful throughout the game - but it's getting things right to start with that I've had problems with in the past.

Essentially, I must be making mistakes with either training or tactics/team selection.

I think this may be a hangover from the days of the v basic training model, but I consistently apply the same training models for my teams - does a lack of imagination cause anyone else problems?!

Anyway, I know that this thread is quite self-serving, and apologise for that, but it might end up being helpful to other players too - and I would appreciate any tips. I've got a few weeks to get my head around applying tactics before the new game!

I'm new, be kind ;-)

Your off to a good start reading the forums, the tactical forums and probably good player guides will be a lot of help to you to start off with. Lots of useful tips to be found on here and what i would also say is if you find yourself struggling make a thread with your tactics and your problems and people on here will be more than happy to point you in the right direction. Training wise i dont think you should worry too much unless you really want to get into, i, for the best part have left the training to the standard set up and it hasnt done me any harm in my long term save, again tho there are great threads, and downloads to help you here if you want to go into more depth. FM12 will also come with a new fancy tutorial which should help you find your feet again with the new UI and features.

I would suggesting starting with the team you support, or one of the very big teams, you will know more about them and their players which will give you a good starting platfrom, then give it a few seasons, mess around with everything and find what works for you, dont get disheatened if it doesnt always come together right away, sometimes this game can be frustrating, but remember, its about having fun :)

definitely a good idea man, the tactics forum on here is fantastic i would especially recomending reading anything wwfan and sfraiser have written as they have a fantastic knowlage of both football and the way it is interperated into FM. Sadly Sfraiser is longer with us but this thread has links to all of his work on here, i would def recommend a read of them all.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/275644-The-SFraser-Memorial-Thread-Links-to-all-the-discussions-and-guides.

also if you use the link below it will show you all threads wwfan has started, again i would suggest a read through them will put you in good stead

http://community.sigames.com/search.php?searchid=161966

Thats just two examples from here that can get you started off, there are obviously other sites out there that can be of use to you and some of them have fantastic downloadable user guides, a quick search on here or google should point you in the right direction.

Like i say as well dont be scared to come on here asking for help, for the best part users like Cougar2010 and Nottingham Forrest will be very willing to step in and help you out where needed.

My advice would be to start at the bottom, and ensure you pick a club where the expectation level isn't too much. (survival/ mid-table finish). That way, no matter how bad you start, you aren't under immediate pressure, which makes a difference.

Try and play a tactic you're familiar with if the players are available, so nothing too complex. Don't try and play like Barca if you don't have the players for it, and first and foremost, find the best scout you can! But on the tactics front, remember that tempo and playing styles are linked (direct style needs a high tempo) and you shouldn't go too far wrong.

Also, if you're out of practise for a couple of years, make your first "go" just a mess about, just to get the feel of the game.

Welcome to the forum mate

I can say right now that I am a totally inept tactician and cannot seem to come up with a winning formula- I mainly play the game for regen development (and glory as Celtic). this site is a fantastic resource for making up for your deficiencies.

If you cant seem to find a decent player in the position you want theres the Good Player/Team guide to help

If you are tearing your hair out due to tactics there plenty of quality theory pieces for you to read (the late great SFrasers threads in particular go into great depth if you desire it) and even if you cant be bothered with making your own, there are plug in and play tactics thanks to those kind people on the Tactics forum ;).

If you are a FM genius by all means take up the famous Dafuge challenge and prove it amongst other things on the Challenges forum.

I have always found the community here to be very willing to help so Im sure you'll find what you're looking for

I am in a similar position. When I was younger I started save after save on CM / FM. In recent years I have found it tough to become immersed in the game due to time restrictions. I tend to binge play now. If I know I have a few free days I will get into FM, fly through a few seasons and then stop. I repeat this process 3 or 4 times a year and usually have a few decent saves with decent success.

The secret is to read the forums. The tactical forum is very informative and other users theories will give you an idea of what works and what doesn't work. This will prevent you having to waste hours of your own time experimenting with different ideas. You may come up with the formation or the playing philosophy but reading other users interpretation of the match engine and how to set up an effective unit will certainly help you when it comes to implementing your ideas.

The same goes with training schedules, team talks, match preparation, scouting etc...

the brilliant thing ive found about fm is that it can be as in depth as you want it to be..

training etc is always useful but isnt necessarily essential to success...

my first port of call in any new fm installment is to play with one of the big boys... its a lot more forgiving to get a feel of how tactics and the game works i feel...

start as say.. arsenal and you will use the tactical wizard to set up the players how you know they can play from basic knowledge of real life football in fact.. i.e , you know rvp isnt a target man and he likes to drop deep.. you can see he is a creative player from the stats so you'll set him up as a deep-laying forward with lots of freedom etc..

getting to know the intricacies of tactical development takes time but its fun learning as you go...

and as always , the forums are usually really helpful, aswell as the people who are in it .

Archived