Formations and player attributes at lower levels

Alekos

I don't know if this is the proper forum for this but since I want a more general opinion on this I am posting it here..

So..What do you this is the most suitable formation/tactic on lower league teams in England for example?

Also what are the most important player attributes in each position at this lower levels since it's very rare to find or get players with an average attribute rating above 10-12??

I don't know if this is the proper forum for this but since I want a more general opinion on this I am posting it here..

So..What do you this is the most suitable formation/tactic on lower league teams in England for example?

Also what are the most important player attributes in each position at this lower levels since it's very rare to find or get players with an average attribute rating above 10-12??

The best formation is whichever one fits your players best.

The best attributes are whatever your players have.

That sounds like a weird answer but it does make sense. You will always get more out of a team if you use a tactic that suits them rather than forcing them to play one that doesn't, and the best attributes for any position are always what your players have, as those attributes will allow you to build a tactic that fits.

Well let me make it more clear...Of course what you say is totally true but..I think is harder to implement a "complicated" tactic at lower leagues since based as said in player attributes is harder for them to play as you might want them to..With so many players with crappy stats it's hard to make a clear tactic for them since there always be a problem in a specific area...For example I might want to play a 4-4-2 but my wingers have bad stats ar acceleration and dribbling...At the same time let's suppose that I want to play with more focus on the centre of the park but again the players have passing, work rate etc around 10...So I don't think is so clear which tactic you should apply...Sorry for my english am trying to make it as clear as I can..

I started out with my LLM side with a pretty standard 4-4-2. I use wingers since there are still usually lots of pacey players at that level. I usually use my 2 CBs as a stopper and cover. It depends how good your players are compared to the rest of the league really. If you've just been promoted as underdogs via playoffs or something, then you'd be wise to use a rigid counter-attacking 4-4-2 formation for example. When you feel confident that your players are better than most in the league, you can start trying to change little things. This is just my personal experience from guiding a previously unplayable side to the Championship, currently.

Pace and acceleration in a striker is key in lower leagues. Having a really quick player will get him ~20 goals (if lucky, he will score quite a few anyway) even with a poor finishing stat.

Exactly this.

When I search for a player at lower level I always filter out slow players (Pace - must be at least 10, usually). I even make sure my defenders are fairly pacey.

My tactics are usually:

Philosophy: Rigid

Passing Style: More Direct

Creative Freedom: More Disciplined

Roaming: Stick to Position

That usually works. I also have a slightly more flamboyant tactic that I use when I'm confident of win. I'll also switch to that if I'm having a run of bad games, just to mix things up a bit.

I think at lower levels (especially if your players are on semi-pro contracts) the most important attributes are first and foremost, stamina, and then possibly determination.

My reasoning for this is that your fitness levels are very hard to maintain at lower levels, especially if you are semi-pro and cannot attract decent coaches, or have a small squad, and that having a squad of players who are more fit will carry you on through the season, whereas most teams around you will begin getting tired.

Determination is key to getting through matches, snatching draws, etc etc. If I can, I try never to get a player with a determination below 12 for instance, unless they have great stats elsewhere (passing, finishing, pace, etc) that make up for it.

At lower levels, say League 2 and below, I have found a lot of luck with a straight 4-3-3 formation. It's nice to be able to bring in about 5-6 strikers and central midfielders into the squad without also having to worry about retaining wingers or wide midfielders (so long as you have a good LB and RB).

I hope that helps.

I play with three central midfielders myself, and when the groundsman asks for pitch measurements, never go wider than "standard". That allows you to get on top in the centre of midfield thanks to playing an extra player to most other sides, and if you play a 4th midfielder as a trequatista behind the front two you can use the space between the midfield and their back four.

At the back I'll go with one quick central defender and one who is dominant in the air, so the two of them combine pretty well. Up front, a nippy poacher and a target man who is strong and good in the air, and I'm good to go.

I'm also not one of those who plays the rigid system. I play a fluid 4-3-1-2, but you do need decent players for that. However, I do play direct with a high tempo, which certainly helps.

Exactly this.

When I search for a player at lower level I always filter out slow players (Pace - must be at least 10, usually). I even make sure my defenders are fairly pacey.

My tactics are usually:

Philosophy: Rigid

Passing Style: More Direct

Creative Freedom: More Disciplined

Roaming: Stick to Position

That usually works. I also have a slightly more flamboyant tactic that I use when I'm confident of win. I'll also switch to that if I'm having a run of bad games, just to mix things up a bit.

Yep that's what I use at lower tiers...Due to lack of good attributes I am trying to keep my tactic as simple as possible so the players will be able to cope with it--well not always..

Also that with pace and acceleration is true, at least at National Conference and Blue Square South/North too..I had a striker with acceleration around 16-17 but not with any other good stats and he was my top scorer..Sadly when I was up to League Two acceleration and pace was not enough there so I had to replace him..

Archived