Why can't I win?

This is getting incredibly frustrating now, I was dominating in the first half of the season, up in the top of the playoffs, etc. Since the second half of the season my performance has nose-dived and I can't get a win rfom anywhere, now dropping to 10th in the table. My team has great motivation, anyone have advice on how to start winning again?

Happens to me sometimes too for what seems like no reason at all. Suddenly mid season your players stop performing and it seems like theres nothing you can do to change it. Try and tweak your tactics a little as teams become used to the way you play and exploit weaknesses, use a DM if your not already it can help in some cases, for me it did anyway. Using different team talks may help also.

Yeah, same for me. The feedback was good but for some reason or other they would hit a losing streak that only changing my team talk would solve.

They key is to try and spot it happening before you hit the losing steak, usually after about 15-20 games.

I've played the same formation for the last two and a half seasons (442 defensive) without losing form... I guess if I can't do much about it then I'll have to put up with another season in the blue square :(

I guess I'll try the team talk and see if that makes a difference, but..

Maybe your reputation increased because of the good performances, bumping the media predictions before the matches so that you are now favourites instead of underdogs. The AI will then defend deeper, be more cynical and destructive when facing you. This will make it more difficult for you to win. You may need to play with a slower tempo and less attacking mentalities so that your players are more patient when attacking against an established defence where there is little space.

If anybody has lower than very good moral, especially strikers make them available for reserves. Stick them on the bench and bring them on later in the game with a 'you have faith' team talk.

Whats your away form been like?

Just tried some of the stuff you guys suggested and managed to beat Wrexham 2-0 (although I have a 100% winning record over them from 7 games :p), hopefully I'll be able to win enough games to get back in the playoffs, but auto seems unrealistic now.

Thanks for the advice :)

That might be more useful, I've always played Attacking/Overload, so I should calm down from that? I'll try that to, thanks for the help. (I have noticed some teams have dug in which kinda annoys me...)

Yeah the typical signs that the mentality and tempo are too high are:

1. The shot on target vs shots conversion is low

2. You shoot from distance a lot

3. The players attempt shots when a pass would be a better option, for instance from tight angles, when under pressure, and the most tell-tale sign; too early

4. The midfielders pass to the first player making himself available even though that might not be the best option. If they were biding their time more, that first movement could open up space instead

5. Conceded goals are from break-aways or counter-attacks primarily. At Key Highlights it might look like the opposition dominates completely as all highlights starts with them in possession or you losing possession, but in reality those are the way the ME displays you being countered to pieces. See #4 for an explanation for why you lose possession. You might want to change to Extended or Full to really see what is going wrong.

6. Counter-attacking may be a good option against teams defending deep, as what that box does is instructing your players to keep possession in the back to lure them forward. It does -not- improve counter-attacking per se. It actually does the opposite of instructing counter-attacking football (which is winning possession in the midfield and launching an attack immediately)

After hoping for change, I've done nought but lose since the Wrexham game. 6 games left and now in 10th place, was pushing for first ~30 games into the season.

Go back to your original tactics. The worst thing you can do is start messing with something that wasnt broke in the first place. In lower league, simple tactics are all you need anyway. You dont try super tempo with players with 4 for passing.

Its team talk related, I can assure you. I always manage lower league.

Well, once you start losing like that you will no longer be the favourite to win your matches, so going back to the original tactic that you succeeded with could be a good idea.

The team talks should be the ones with less pressure when you're in bad form. Like You Can Win, Wish Luck and No Pressure.

Archived