Getting an itchy clicker finger / Upgrade advice.

Really looking forward to FM2012 and struggling to hold off pre ordering whilst I'm skint!

Have been well out of touch with computer components for the last year or so due to having an Xbox 360 which hasn't yet RROD'd on me (now I've jinxed it, watch it pack up!).

This is what my system currently holds;

Asus M49A79T Deluxe

AMD Phenom II x3 (not overclocked)

Sapphire HD 4850

1GB Kingston ValueRam

Barracuda 500GB HDD

Granted the RAM does need upgrading massively, which I will be doing up to 5GB, that goes without saying.

I know this system, with RAM installed, will easily run FM with a big database, but I was thinking if I should upgrade anything for general gaming as I am really wanting to shelf my Xbox for a while.

Cheers guys!

Really looking forward to FM2012 and struggling to hold off pre ordering whilst I'm skint!

Have been well out of touch with computer components for the last year or so due to having an Xbox 360 which hasn't yet RROD'd on me (now I've jinxed it, watch it pack up!).

This is what my system currently holds;

Asus M49A79T Deluxe

AMD Phenom II x3 (not overclocked)

Sapphire HD 4850

1GB Kingston ValueRam

Barracuda 500GB HDD

Granted the RAM does need upgrading massively, which I will be doing up to 5GB, that goes without saying.

I know this system, with RAM installed, will easily run FM with a big database, but I was thinking if I should upgrade anything for general gaming as I am really wanting to shelf my Xbox for a while.

Cheers guys!

Depends how crazy you want to go and how big your budget is....

Still a decent system IMO :thup:

I'm only upgrading to 5GB because I'll be buying a pair of 2GB's and banging them in, since its so cheap now days its not really a problem, plus there will be a point where I will need it.

Not really wanting to spend too much, and looking around for a while there isnt a great deal I can add to it in order to make it much better short of spending stupid amounts of money.

Might get a new GPU as the fan on it is way too loud for my liking and would like one with a giant heatsink instead. Possibly a better CPU fan so I can overclock it just a tad to squeze a little more out of the system.

If you are going to buy a pair of 2GB modules then dump the 1gb and just stick with the new ram, budget wise and with keeping you board, phenom 2 x4's go really cheap now and gpu wise a decent gtx 460 or even hd 6870 would do the trick, not much outlay there for a fairly decent system.

What psu are you running?

Just as a mark im running a core i5 2500, msi p67a-gd65, 4GB corsair xms3 classic and a msi gtx-460 1gb, my system plays pretty much everything max'd @ 1920x1080 (a couple that wont) and generally speaking, for the power my system has, it didnt cost me too much and there is plenty of scope for upgrade as-well, with sli/crossfire and ivy bridge just a few months away.

The PSU is just a generic 500w Atrix PSU that came with the case when I purchased it. That could probably do with replacing as I did have problems with the system suddenly shutting off when playing games. Also could have been the GPU as it used to give out a really bad whine whilst under load. I couldn't even get past the FM splash screen without it powering off. Overclocked the RAM a little bit ant the problem went away, so...

Just looked at the prices for a 6870, a little bit out of my price range really at £130+, and the processor I have now is still able to pack a good punch as is. Plus there's the potential to unlock the 4th core should I need it; provided it actually works. If not then I would end up getting the x4.

Just wondering really since I want F12011 for when I want a break from FM and want it to look good as I'm playing it.

Archived