An explanation required for disillusioned Italian

Can anyone explain to me how my boys have not finished in the top two of the group?

First image: http://bit.ly/oznLLU

Second image: http://bit.ly/pJDXvE

The above images show the group table and group results (both in the first image) and the tournament rules for the group stages (in the second image).

Now, as far as I can tell, my boys (Italy) should have qualified for the next round.

Italy, Belgium and England all have 6 points so, as the league sorting rules state in the second image, it goes down to results between teams to decide which two teams should qualify for the next round. I BEAT BELGIUM 2-1! So how on earth have UEFA/FIFA/FM/God/Allah deemed Belgium to be the runners-up of the group and not me?!?!

My goal difference is better than Belgium's, my team has scored more goals than them...

Has anyone got an explanation?

Cheers.

When three teams are tied, only results between those three teams count. All teams have beaten Russia, therefore in this 3-team-mini-league all have 3 points. So in this case it goes into goal difference, but disregarding the games with Russia:

England: 3-1(W) 0-1(L). 3 scored, 2 conceded. Goal difference: +1

Belgium: 1-2(L) 1-0(W). 2 scored, 2 conceded. Goal difference: 0

Italy: 1-3(L) 2-1(W). 3 scored, 4 conceded. Goal difference: -1

Highly unlucky, but the table is correct.

I would say, in my defence, that that is hardly articulated in the rules.

I don't think you need to defend yourself, most of us would have reached the same conclusion as you. It could be worse though, in my current save the Italy manager qualified for Euro 2012 and promptly got sacked, at least you got to play the actual tournament. ;)

Archived