Is there much difference between FM11 and FM12

wazza

Without going into too much detail on the new version to me there doesnt seem to be much difference between FM11 and FM12. Ive been playing this game since it first started and have never missed a new version, however I cant decide whether or not for the first time in my FM adventure to skip a year as I have a great game going on FM2011. Is there that much differecne or should I wait a year til FM13. I really am struggling to decide.

The difference is there. Maybe subtle is some respect and bigger in others.

New addition like scouting changes, tactical changes are bigger one for me. Ability to change league also counts if you go for challenges.

What tactical changes?

Do you know if there will be a long precise list of new changes like usually for patches ? This would be very helpful

I don't know, but there's this: http://footballmanagerwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Football_Manager_2012

and maybe check the podcast thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/272036-Football-Manager-podcast-series-5

I bought FM11 only after the third patch was released last year. Will probably do the same with FM12 this year. I'm still enjoying FM11 and there's no majorly new features I'm desperate to use on FM12. It's frustrating to create a good tactic when the game comes out, only for a new patch to render the tactic half as useful if at all a couple of months later.

FM isn't a game that comes out "ready to play", so to speak. It traditionally takes 2 or 3 patches to iron out a number of bugs and gameplay issues before it is ready for use, before that it's just a beta-version of a game you pay for to test for SI. It's obviously good for them, but I'm in no rush to cast aside FM11.

I bought FM11 only after the third patch was released last year. Will probably do the same with FM12 this year. I'm still enjoying FM11 and there's no majorly new features I'm desperate to use on FM12. It's frustrating to create a good tactic when the game comes out, only for a new patch to render the tactic half as useful if at all a couple of months later.

FM isn't a game that comes out "ready to play", so to speak. It traditionally takes 2 or 3 patches to iron out a number of bugs and gameplay issues before it is ready for use, before that it's just a beta-version of a game you pay for to test for SI. It's obviously good for them, but I'm in no rush to cast aside FM11.

quite a good idea.

(not directed at anyone)

800 changes since FM11.

Only 400 changes went into FM11.

I think there have been significant changes.

Meaningless - some changes are more meaningful than others. Some changes are closely-related. Some changes are easy. Some changes are hard. And so on.

In all seriousness though, the more pertinent issue will be the massive leap we should expect from 12 to 13. Presuming the new activation requirements lead to the estimated increase in sales (discussed in the activation thread) we've been assured by Miles that some of these profits will be ploughed back into development. So 13 should be very highly anticipated if the increased sales bear fruit.

Meaningless - some changes are more meaningful than others. Some changes are closely-related. Some changes are easy. Some changes are hard. And so on.

Hardly meaningless. It's a fact. 800 changes are a lot of changes. Some big, some small. Some easy. Some took a long time.

What's changed in FM12 from FM11. 800+ things have changed. Double that of what changed in FM11.

Don't know how that is "meaningless"?

Hardly meaningless. It's a fact. 800 changes are a lot of changes. Some big, some small. Some easy. Some took a long time.

What's changed in FM12 from FM11. 800+ things have changed. Double that of what changed in FM11.

Don't know how that is "meaningless"?

We could have had 400 spelling fixes and 400 "real changes", whilst in the previous version 400 "real changes".

It's just a meaningless metric like "number of lines of code" or "number of commits to the codebase", really.

Whilst double the number of changes went in, SI could have done all the easy changes this year, so the impact remains relatively the same. Maybe next year we'll have 100 changes, but every single one of them is difficult and revolutionary.

I'm sure you'd prefer the latter, although it's an eighth of the number of changes.

http://www.sega.com/fm2012/?t=EnglishUSA

Football Manager 2012 allows you to take control of any club in over 50 nations across the world, including all of the biggest leagues across Europe.

You’re in the hot-seat, which means you decide who plays and who sits on the bench, you’re in total control of tactics, team-talks, substitutions and pitch-side instructions as you follow the match live with the acclaimed 3D match engine allowing YOU to make the difference!

As the boss you’ll also have full control of team affairs away from the pitch:

Will you spend big-money on expensive superstars or put a focus on scouting for wonderkids?

How will you approach training & match preparation?

Will you be the chairman’s best friend or always demand the best investment from the board?

How do you react when a young star has problems – a shoulder to cry on or a clip round the ear?

And how will you deal with tricky questions from the media?

Now it’s time to put your opinions to the test.

New & improved key features for Football Manager 2012:

Manage Anywhere, Anytime – the ability to add or take away playable nations in your saved game as often as you want. Manage in that country at the start of the next season - meaning you don’t have to decide on which nations are playable at the start of your career.

Transfers & Contracts – significant changes to the transfer and contract systems, including loyalty bonuses, better implementation of amateur and youth contracts, an improved transfer centre and the ability to lock areas of the contract negotiation when you aren't prepared to budge. This helps you to manage your budgets and gives you flexibility in what you offer money hungry players, or agents, as incentives.

Scouting improvements – using several real life scouting reports, a new in-game report was devised which includes squad analysis, tactics information and information about goals scored and conceded alongside lots of other scouting improvements, giving you all the information you need to prepare before kick-off and throughout the season.

3D Match Improvements – new animations, a whole new crowd system, improved weather system, more stadiums, plus two brand new cameras - "Behind Goal" and "Director Cam" as well as all other camera angles being reversible - meaning you can watch and analyse every aspect of every game.

Intelligent Interface – a new adaptive layout system, which means the higher your screen resolution, the more info is easily at your fingertips. The new interface also contains new filters, customisable columns, a new tactics screen, and lots of new overview screens.

Tone – a whole new level has been added to team talks and conversations, with the new tone system, which allows you to specify the way you want to say things – be as cool as a cucumber by saying things calmly or throw tea cups around by saying things with passion. There are 5 different tones to choose from with specific comments per tone.

Brand New Tutorial – standing separate from the main game, a mode to help new players find their way around the game easily, whilst also offering tips to experienced managers on how to get the most out of the game, as well as a new in-game “how to” system.

On top of these key innovations, there are over 800 new features making huge improvements, such as the media system, press conferences, the youth system, newgens, the social networking options, friendlies, international management and many more which will be detailed in a series of video blogs over the coming months, alongside more information about Football Manager 2012.

There you go. Plus the many blogs and podcasts as documented on the forums going through a lot of these, and even more things.

http://www.sega.com/fm2012/?t=EnglishUSA

There you go. Plus the many blogs and podcasts as documented on the forums going through a lot of these, and even more things.

Still meaningless. A "new feature" could be a tiny thing, or a huge, major undertaking. A change in triage strategy could inflate counts year-on-year.

In addition, it's clearly not 800 new features, as the media system, press conferences and so on are not new features - it's 800 improvements, likely though some bug tracking system.

Still meaningless. A "new feature" could be a tiny thing, or a huge, major undertaking. A change in triage strategy could inflate counts year-on-year.

In addition, it's clearly not 800 new features, as the media system, press conferences and so on are not new features - it's 800 improvements, likely though some bug tracking system.

While I find you cynical in the extreme;) I think you're actually quite correct, what's significantly new is definitely add/remove leagues, the changes to existing things like interaction could however be radical enough to make them seem like new features:)

While I find you cynical in the extreme;) I think you're actually quite correct, what's significantly new is definitely add/remove leagues, the changes to existing things like interaction could however be radical enough to make them seem like new features:)
If we had 800 of those, then great. But clearly, there isn't, otherwise SI would be writing the next Windows operating system, as they are so efficient at coding.

In any of my software projects, it would be easy for me to inflate my bugfix count and advertise that. Clearly, however, it might not actually make much difference to the program.

And the title of the thread is "Is there much difference between FM11 and FM12?"

And the answer is still "yes".

Well, yes, but you worded this post:

(not directed at anyone)

800 changes since FM11.

Only 400 changes went into FM11.

I think there have been significant changes.

As if it were down to the "number of changes". When it is likely not...

Without going into too much detail on the new version to me there doesnt seem to be much difference between FM11 and FM12. Ive been playing this game since it first started and have never missed a new version, however I cant decide whether or not for the first time in my FM adventure to skip a year as I have a great game going on FM2011. Is there that much differecne or should I wait a year til FM13. I really am struggling to decide.

swapping leagues in and out is a great feature. You can keep an optimised / decent sized database to run on your pc/laptop and then swap in/out without it slowing down you overall game play. This then gives you a chance of manageing in other countries that you would be restricted to from the start of the game under FM11

As always the demo version always gets the juices flowing, not long to wait now

With regards to the guy with the FM11 killer tactic - isn't that the exciting bit rising to a new challenge?

I completely disagree with the dude saying FM pre patches is a beta. Most people are happy playing OOTB day 1 and wont notice any issues at all unless having a read here. Its always in good shape from day 1 (perhaps thats included a day 1 patch on occassion). Additionally the patches are save game compatible

Hopefully 750 of those changes are to the abortion of a 3D that FM11 has given us.

It's merely an interpretation, not an accurate representation.

You just wait until FM 13, all those profits ploughed back into development; there'll be huge improvements to the match engine, indeed the entire game will undergo a massive step forward.....or most likely not.

Honestly, how much of a difference do you expect from a football management sim to a football management sim? Maybe you were expecting some first person shooter parts? They could introduce that for the offseason in June when things are a little quieter and you have no matches. Perhaps you could fight your way to the meetings with all the players that you want to sign for the new season? Would that make you happy?

Long answer short. If you are happy with FM11, then stick with it. I imagine there will be quite a few people who have active games going on FM11 that they don't want to give up on just yet.

I started this thread after quickly overviewing the differences between FM2011 and FM2012, however after looking in more depth there does seem to be a few good changes which will benefit the game. After reading the blogs teamtalks, player interaction and tones along with revamped scouting reports look excellent feature. Also as I play a long term career game adding and removing leagues looks good too, just hope it has been imlemented properley and you still get offered jobs in inactive leagues so then you can accept if you want and turn that league on

Honestly, how much of a difference do you expect from a football management sim to a football management sim? Maybe you were expecting some first person shooter parts? They could introduce that for the offseason in June when things are a little quieter and you have no matches. Perhaps you could fight your way to the meetings with all the players that you want to sign for the new season? Would that make you happy?

Long answer short. If you are happy with FM11, then stick with it. I imagine there will be quite a few people who have active games going on FM11 that they don't want to give up on just yet.

Agent hunting. :thup:

Archived