Correct wages structures non existant in game?

Yes the wage structure in FM is, if you as a manager have high enough reputation, designed to allow you to break the club's back financially. When managing in Germany I found that Schalke (and HSV) were much more restrictive with their finances, so I guess the Tottenham chairman is free-spending.

On the other hand, this is a game, and if none of the clubs would allow anyone to spend anything the game would become very boring... and what about the AI transfer policies? It is not like they are anywhere close to real life in FM11. Real Madrid not signing any big stars in 10 seasons... right.

Yes the wage structure in FM is, if you as a manager have high enough reputation, designed to allow you to break the club's back financially. When managing in Germany I found that Schalke (and HSV) were much more restrictive with their finances, so I guess the Tottenham chairman is free-spending.

On the other hand, this is a game, and if none of the clubs would allow anyone to spend anything the game would become very boring... and what about the AI transfer policies? It is not like they are anywhere close to real life in FM11. Real Madrid not signing any big stars in 10 seasons... right.

But that's not the point. Real have the money to spend as they do IRL. Whether they do or not is apart from having the correct wage structure in game. Tottenham should not be able to give any player £130k + a week, unless they have had success and/or a stadium move etc. I disagree about the boring part aswell- If anything it would add challenge and heightened realism into the game. Not everyone wants to sign Neymar, Ganso and Pastore. Of course I could ignore it, but this is a football management sim, and everything else is built to represent that truthfully.

But that's not the point. Real have the money to spend as they do IRL. Whether they do or not is apart from having the correct wage structure in game. Tottenham should not be able to give any player £130k + a week, unless they have had success and/or a stadium move etc. I disagree about the boring part aswell- If anything it would add challenge and heightened realism into the game. Not everyone wants to sign Neymar, Ganso and Pastore. Of course I could ignore it, but this is a football management sim, and everything else is built to represent that truthfully.

That was not the point: if things were as realistic as you want, most clubs in the game would have a Transfer Budget and a Remaining Wage Budget of £0, and the whole financial system would break down. If you look at how many billions were used to sign players (and give them crazy wages) in European football this summer, it is clear that there is not nearly enough money in the FM economy to imitate real life realistically, precisely because the clubs do not actually have that much money! They are all spending way beyond their means in RL. As such, the current realism of FM makes its economy unrealistic... What you suggest would make it only worse at least when it comes to transfer money. When it comes to wage budgets I agree that it is too easy to run a club into the gutter; however I think this should be an option in the game as there are managers who would gladly do that to gain quick success.

Archived