Wouldn't it be better if...

Ok so most of us are playing FM11... well we are all in anticipation of FM12 coming out in less than a month. We all know that the game is going to come out with bugs... Probably a lot of bugs. Well the solution is simple. Instead of releasing a "brand new game" wouldnt it be better if they released a patch that goes on top of 11.3... Something like 12.0. This is obviously the next game. We then have to pay for this upgrade and it may take a while to upgrade but it works on top of the latest patch.. Then the match engine can only ever be improved and all the bugs will eventually be ironed out. 12.0 would also be quite a big update as it would also change the look of the game to the new skins that SI have created etc...

I find that this would be much better. Although im not a programmer :) I just see it as being pointless to bring a new game out with more bugs when they can work on what they already have and then just keep upgrading the game...

Would never work.

Firstly, people may pay for DLC, but people won't pay for a glorified patch.

Secondly, what if somebody dislikes the patched version? They have to go through a lot of mucking about to revert to the previous version of the game and people want to pick up and play games more than they want to mess around.

Finally, there is bound to be limitations in how a game can be developed without excessive downloading. What about people on limited bandwidth/usage connections? What if a patch uses up half their allowance for the month? Hardly fair.

It also occurs to me that there would almost certainly be an issue with saved game compatibility somewhere along the line. At present, you can't load up your saved games from previous versions of FM in more recent versions. I think it would be a struggle and not really feasible to constantly work around limitations in saved games to continue to patch up a version rather than release a new game each year.

Archived