Help me build a computer for FM12!

Hey guys,

I would like help building a computer for FM12, my computer is a number of years old now and wasn't top fo the line when I built it and trying to put a heavy burden on it in FM11 certainly shows.

I will retain my current graphics card since I don't play too many 3D intensive games and it does the job, and I have a case and PSU already I will keep since the PSU is fairly new.

What I need is recommendations for a CPU, Motherboard and RAM. An important note to make is that I have a requirement for it to be micro-atx. Don't worry about cooling I have that handled.

I am open to different price brackets but I want to know what I am getting for my money.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Ensure whatever you do make sure your system is water cooled and the processor is unlocked so you can overclock as cpu speed is key to game speed, more than anything else as long as the processor is of the latest generation. I would suggest an i7

I have an i5 2500 3.30ghz sandybridge, 8gig DDR3 1600Mhz, GTX560, GA-P67-DS3-B3 motherboard and a run of the mill HD which is perfectly fine.

I really don't buy into the whole "you must have an uber HD!" when it's just not necessary unless you have money to burn. I don't use water cooling or any extra fans as I find this pointless as well, I've never used it and I've never had any rig in 10 years over heat or blow up etc, and how long do you really want your rig to last for as it will be out of date in 3 or 4 years anyway and time for an upgrade. You can waist a whole lot of money, building a PC, on pointless things, or, save a whole lot on not buying pointless things! I guess it's all up to the individual.

With my modest rig, which cost me around £4-500 (cant remember exactly), I can run things like Skyrim and BF3 on High to Ultra settings (depending on how much FPS you like) without any problems at all, I'm also flying through FM with 12 leagues running and I'm sure it could handle a few more without any problems.

So I'm very happy with what I have, for the price I paid for it. Hope this helps.

Dking, some good points there for FM users.

HDD for steam is fine but windows 7 on an SSD is out of this world. As for the watercooling it is only to allow more overclocking, a top spec FM rig needs an overclocked top of the range processor.

As for FPS on your PC may I ask your screen resolution? I can max out games too but there are some I cannot due to the resolution I play at.

I haven't over clocked anything on my rig, and probably wouldn't as I don't really need too. I might in a year or two if it needs it, but for now I'm very happy with how it's handling stuff.

My Skyrim resolution is 1920x1080 and I think BF3 is the same. Skyrim, on ultra, gets choppy very, very rarely and BF3 is smooth as anything on high to ultra. I don't think I dip below 40fps which is fine for smooth gameplay.

Very good for the cost indeed, I think mines was 1100 3 years ago for a water cooled overclocked i7 920 running off an SSD. The difference in cost mostly comes from the case and components to get the top end overclocking, its running at 3.8 with no effort and its still hardly warm.

Its also the modding that adds cost, my cable management is rubbish but I love the lighting in mine.

For FM the single rule is processing power, 4GB ram is sufficient but processor model and clock speed make all difference. For FM just get the recommended minimum graphics card. It will run like a dream

I like to use places like scan or cyberpower just to name a few of custom builders. The build quality varies from place to place so i would check each one out.

You can pretty much specify each component, you then pay a base build cost and they put it together and ship it to you ready build and OCed.

Archived