When were you last sacked?

This isn’t a brag – I’m not mega successful with every team – but the last time I remember getting sacked was when I got Leigh RMI relegated from the conference on CM 01/02…..

I’m usually a mix of teams, on FM11 I’ve been Banbury United, Fiorentina, Notodden, East Fife, Bristol City, Celtic and Hartlepool United… so a mix of big and smaller teams and somewhere in between. And apart from getting Banbury United to the Football League, I haven’t really achieved much on FM11. I was actually TERRIBLE at East Fife…… but yet not sacked from anywhere, as I haven’t been for a decade of real time now.

How badly do you have to do to get sacked?

I am sure I must have been sacked in more recent versions but I can not remember any,the 1 I do remember was back in 97/98 when I was sacked after the 1st 3 match's of the season when managing Bristol Rovers.

The directors were already angry at me before we even kicked a ball as I had transfer listed the entire team and sold quite a few,brought in my own players but it never worked out very well as after 3 defeats I was on the unemployment line.

I think back then the game was a bit more unforgiving for a string of bad results.

I was made to resign in FM11 while managing Pors Grenland in second division group 4 of Norway when i applied to be manager of Liverpool as a joke lol so i had to quit or they would sack me. Needless to say that with a sunday league reputation i didnt get the liverpool job either.

The only time I've ever been sacked was as Rochdale manager on a very old CM, 00/01 or earlier perhaps. High board expectations combined with a minimal budget for league 2 meant I got the chop after a mediocre start to the season, bit harsh I thought at the time. I tend to struggle a bit in the far reaches of the league/non league to be fair, obviously I'm destined for greater things :)

I've been sacked once in nearly 15 years of CM/FM. That was with Forest Green Rovers on CM01/02. There are 2 reasons why I haven't been sacked more. I'm now quite good at the game and I usually give up or resign before i happens.

Oh wait I have a more painful memory of the sack - on my all conquering SWFC game on CM 03/04 (league one to winning the CL) I was made England manager and breezed through the WC qualifiers, and beat Germany on their own soil in a friendly too. As the previous manager had won the euros we qualified for the Confederations cup, where we were drawn in a group with South Korea, Brazil and Iran. Played very poorly in the opening game against South Korea and lost, played a bit backs against the wall but managed a creditable draw with Brazil and then in the final game we were drawing with Iran but needed a win to go through so went a bit gung ho in the last ten mins, got hit on the break and lost. Finished bottom of the group and then was unceremoniously booted out, still ranckles me to this day!

FM09 (The one I have enjoyed the least). I was managing Liverpool and was sacked at the end of the 2nd season. Granted, I hadn't won the league but I did win the Uefa CUP and FA cup in my first season, as well as finishing 2nd. In the second season I won FC Cup, League Cup and finished 2nd in the League again (also semi finalist in the Champions League).

If that had happened irl, I would be loved by the board and the fans. I was not amused...

Wacker Burghausen on FM08 sacked after being 3rd in the league. In the First season. Not a good way to end the first ever season of that game.

Does the board not offering you a new contract when it runs out count as a sacking? If thats the case it was MK Dons on the same game hit a brickwall in the Championship with them.

jesus, i thought i was half decent at the game, but off the top of my head have been sacked twice FM11. Didnt last the season at Wolfsburg and got the boot 4 seasons in at Fiorentina despite Champions League football. Looking back they were both early saves and since then i have had some relative success, learnt from my mistakes!

FM11, with Palermo about 20 seasons ago. I tried to rebuild the squad with great youngsters in a very short space of time and the team just didn't click quickly enough for me, resulting in the sack due to poor results. Predictably, the club picked up after I was gone, with some of those young players going on to great things.

Slightly off topic but can anyone help me out here.

As I posted earlier in the thread about sacking in the 97/98 edition I have been thinking about it today and I am pretty sure back then if you were a team that was 1 of the favourites for promotion and you lost 3 games in a row weren't you always either sacked or your job was very insecure and sacked after the next game if you did not win?

Pretty sure I am right but it was a long time ago so maybe my mind playing tricks on me ;)

I was shamefully sacked twice and resigned once within 3 seasons in a save.

At the end of Season 1 i resigned from Bradford after finishing 3rd in League Two

Then in November the following season I lasted an amazing 3 days with Darlington, losing 1 game.

Then at the end of season 2, I was hired by Burton, who sacked me 3 months into the new season as I was lying in the bottom half of the Conference with 1 win. Made some poor tactical decisions in my time at Burton, went in thinking I was going to walk the league, with signings such as Craig Westcarr, Lee Hughes and Barry Conlon.

I was sacked by Spain in FM11, because of getting eliminated at the WC in the first knockout round. No damage though, I was already a high-reputation manager and in the meantime I was also coaching Inter. That was before I led AS Roma to European victory and before taking over a 5-year reign at Real Madrid, where I won everything possible and brought to the club more than 15 trophies.

FM 11. As manager of Zlin in the Czech Republic Second division, started out there with Sunday league rep, struggled to adapt and was fired half way through the season with the team languishing in the lower mid of the table. From there I went to Droylsden, got them promoted from Blue Square North at the second time of asking and then keeping them up in the Blue Square Premier, before moving to Yeovil whom I'm currently at in League Two.

One of my most enjoyable saves of this FM to be honest.

The one and only time i've been sacked was on a muckabout game on FM10 with Leeds (A save which I creatively titled 'The Damned United'), I basically got rid of all their first team players and filled the squad with youth players and freebies.

Suffice to say it didn't go well and I was given the sack a couple of months into the season with Leeds bottom of the league. Surprisingly, I was still offered a couple of jobs even after all that (Albeit they were lower league jobs).

On saves i've taken more seriously i'm pleased to say i've never been sacked, i've always either been approached and accepted the offer or i've quit.

It usualy gets closest for me after I win a few things then the board expect success all the time.

Never actualy get sacked though as I generaly get peeved at the boards lack of respect for what I have done for the club and just go somewhere else.

I remember getting sacked 3 times in a season on CM02 I think it was, was managing in the Polish league for a reason I cant quite remember, didn't really take it too seriously (well I hope I didn't :D) and just seemed to lose every game. Managed 4 clubs in a season in the top league and they all got relegated :(

I think it was 01 that I took Peterborough up in my first season and got sacked because the finances were all over the place which I thought was unlikely to happen IRL

Also I took Hayes (before they were with Yeading) from the BSS to the Championship got the play off final, lost to Fulham 1-0. The following season we just fell apart and got relegated and the board just let my contract run out and didn't renew it. They went into freefall after that and were soon back in the BSS

I get sacked all the time because I suck. And I've been playing since the year 1999. I have never won anything besides the second best league in denmark. Maybe one day I will become good, and I will win. But till then, I'll keep cutting myself with my wooden knife. I'm pretty lazy though. Cba to watch entire matches, or even extended. Matches make me nervous, and I always look away when they are played. However, I can't wait till the day i start winning. I have waited so long.

I'm about to get sacked right now. I've steered Ipswich all the way to the bottom of the Championship in my second year, after just missing out on relegation on goal difference last year. 4 games in, 0 goals scored (which would seem to justify the fans complaints at me "wasting money" on Eidur Gudjohnson) and 9 goals lost.

My only real problem is that I seem to be an atrociously bad tactician. 4-4-2 with or without diamond, 4-3-3, 4-5-1, 4-2-2-2, defensive, attacking, rigid, fluid, you name it I've tried it, and leaked goals like no tomorrow whilst simultaneously failing to score with comical regularity.

I'm about to get sacked right now. I've steered Ipswich all the way to the bottom of the Championship in my second year, after just missing out on relegation on goal difference last year. 4 games in, 0 goals scored (which would seem to justify the fans complaints at me "wasting money" on Eidur Gudjohnson) and 9 goals lost.

My only real problem is that I seem to be an atrociously bad tactician. 4-4-2 with or without diamond, 4-3-3, 4-5-1, 4-2-2-2, defensive, attacking, rigid, fluid, you name it I've tried it, and leaked goals like no tomorrow whilst simultaneously failing to score with comical regularity.

You always that bad? Anyway, the story of my life. Perhaps stick longer with one tactic, to make your players familiar with it?

Well, I remember the first time I got sacked. I made a board request, they refused and I issued an ultimatum. I was unaware at that time that Ultimatum is basically a "Get Sacked" option. That was in FM2009.

Most recently, though, I was doing a bit of LLM and got sacked from CRB after losing every game but one in a season. Prior to that, the last time I got sacked was (again) in LLM. I signed with some German team who gave me 2 years to rebuild the team. They sacked me after 8 games. (Interestingly enough, it was the team I signed with after being sacked over the ultimatum.)

As far as I can recall, those are the only times I've ever been sacked. I leave teams of my own accord quite often in LLM, though. Usually because I know a sack is coming and I'd rather leave myself than have them do it.

You always that bad? Anyway, the story of my life. Perhaps stick longer with one tactic, to make your players familiar with it?

I maybe do chop and change formation too much, but even when I stick with my "default" one, I haemorrhage goals. Played Reading last, 3-0 UP at half time, lost 4-3.

So far, played 21 games, won 2, drawn 5, lost 14, scored 11, shipped 43.

I was terrible at Morton, but decent with Premiership teams. I think I just choose bad players at lower league teams due to being terrible at judging talent on a small budget.

Edit: Yep sacked after next game. Terry Butcher got my job, good luck Terry enjoy the first division!

Edit 2: And he wins the next 3 games with the exact same team and formation, awesome :(

My first job on my current FM save. I started unemployed with sunday league rep, and got a job with the worst team by far in Chile. About halfway through the season, they were bottom of the league with only 3 points to their name, all 3 in draws. I figured I could do better than that, so took over. After my perfect record of 16 defeats in 16 matches, scoring 5 goals and conceding 73, they decided they'd made a mistake and would be better off without me. :(

Archived