which tackling for CB ?

Since many seasons, i usually set tackling to hard for all my players (in order to stop the counter attacks and keep possession) but I read somewhere in an officiel FM manual that easy tackling for CB is recommended to make sure they don't fault in the penaly area. This is true ? Is this about any attribute like agression or composure ?

I have had one truly world class assistant manager who recommended some strikers be tackeld "hard but fair". I generally don't set my CDs to tackle hard though. I usually try and target one or two players in senior games and none at Youth level. I will normally actually tackle the opposition CDs hard or wait until one of the opposition is on a yellow and start tackling them hard. Do you get many cards? I had a game where 4 of my players were injured in the first 20 mins, so after 60mins with a 2 goal lead (was hoping for more) I set all my players to full close down and hard tackling (every parameter I could) to try and injure them back - my team apparently gave up no more fouls and definitely didn't injure anyone, dammit.

I tend to set all my players to medium tackling (apart from maybe a ball winning MF) and then rely on individual opposition instructions to target players with bravery of 10 or less, and usually strikers. I don't really see the point in setting hard tackling on opposition CBs as it'll probably be my forward players challenging them who can't tackle anyway and will end up giving away lots of silly fouls and pick up cards unnecessarily.

My best advice is that Tackling stat isn't neccessary. What you need is to have all players picked with 18-20 Agression and teach the PPM "Dives into Tackles" you then do the following:

set Team Takling to "more aggressive",

set all players Individual Tackling to "Hard",

set all Oppossion Player Instruction Tackling to "Hard",

Use Touchline Shouts "Hassle Opponents" and "Get Stuck In"

And dont forget to say "Do this for the supporters" during team talks.

My best advice is that Tackling stat isn't neccessary. What you need is to have all players picked with 18-20 Agression and teach the PPM "Dives into Tackles" you then do the following:

why not give them baseball bats as well? :D

Do you think my team is appropriate to your tackling philosophy ?

Kuyt Rooney Tevez

Van Bommel De Jong

Barton

Marcelo Terry Pepe Carragher

Kahn

:D

Just set it to Medium - then it is more up to the player to decide how to tackle. Actually I advice aiming for as few "extreme" player/team instructions as possible, leaving it up to your players to best use their abilities.

What if your players have low Decisions?

You forgot to tell us in how many matches you ended the game with 11 players...

You forgot to tell us in how many matches you ended up with eleven players though... :p

Setting your CB's to hard tackling unsettles strikers with low bravery and is generaly more effective, but increases the risk they will give away a penalty/get a card. They will also sometimes get pulled out of position or lunge in only for a player to dribble around them. The risk of cards changes depending on what level you are playing at. A DC with a 12 tackling in league two won't give away many penalties, In the prem he would be a penalty machine.

It's an interesting choice wether to do it by opposition instructions or tacticly though. Depends on the players/team.

The risk of cards changes depending on what level you are playing at. A DC with a 12 tackling in league two won't give away many penalties, In the prem he would be a penalty machine.

Not true. It is the aggression attribute which determines how likely a player is to give away a foul. Players with high aggression are less likely to concede a foul or give away a penalty. Tackling influences the effectiveness of the tackle, if they will win the ball or not.

Not true. It is the aggression attribute which determines how likely a player is to give away a foul. Players with high aggression are less likely to concede a foul or give away a penalty. Tackling influences the effectiveness of the tackle, if they will win the ball or not.

High aggression is more, not less, likely to give away a foul. And tackling effects it too, as does decisions.

Decisions and aggression decide if a player will try to win the ball, and how strongly. tackling controls if they win the ball cleanly or end up getting the man. A low aggression player is likely to merely end up tripping them, a high aggression may rip their leg off at the knee.

A DC with a 12 tackling in league two won't give away many penalties, In the prem he would be a penalty machine.

And what happens if a player doesn't win the ball in a tackle buddy?

And what happens if a player doesn't win the ball in a tackle buddy?

Like I said above, if their tackling is too low (or they made a bad decision or were badly positioned or didn't anticipate a change in direction or whatever) they end up getting the man, or missing. A miss is a miss, but getting the man is where aggression comes in to play. Low aggression is likely a free kick, high aggression makes a red more likely.

You forgot to tell us in how many matches you ended up with eleven players though... :p

Its doesnt matter how many players on your team get sent off. What matters is that injuries inflicted outweight red cards recieved. So I wouldnt recommend playing a Hargreaves as he will likely get injured himself, this beats the object of the teams philosophy.

[video=youtube;fipEh7iF6RY]

Do you think my team is appropriate to your tackling philosophy ?

Kuyt Rooney Tevez

Van Bommel De Jong

Barton

Marcelo Terry Pepe Carragher

Kahn

:D

Not a bad team for my tackling philosophy. But I would replace Tevez with Kevin Davies.

SHouldn't it be Injuries > Red Cards +3. 2 reds and 3 injuries is still 9 vs 11.

You would need to include substitutions made prior to red cards in your formular. So I would say Red Card + (3 - Subs Used). So as long as Subs Used is equal to 3 when you recieve a red you will have at least equal number of players on the pitch. IF not you are still able to catch up if Injures occur whithout a Red Card being shown.

High aggression is more, not less, likely to give away a foul. And tackling effects it too, as does decisions.

Decisions and aggression decide if a player will try to win the ball, and how strongly. tackling controls if they win the ball cleanly or end up getting the man. A low aggression player is likely to merely end up tripping them, a high aggression may rip their leg off at the knee.

Pretty sure high aggression means they are less likely to give away a foul. Read this on Ultimate FM guide.

Aggression This attribute indicates how well tempered a player is. If this

attribute is low, the player will get involved in issues in matches

and can find himself in trouble. This attribute can have an effect

over other attributes such as Tackling and Marking.

Kind of stumbled over this in the FM11 Manual.

Aggression

This reflects a player’s attitude in terms of playing mentality but is not necessarily a dirtiness indicator. A more aggressive player will look to involve himself in every incident and get stuck in, perhaps at the expense of a yellow card or two. A less aggressive player may shy away from situations and merely drop into his comfort zone.

Pretty sure high aggression means they are less likely to give away a foul. Read this on Ultimate FM guide.

Pretty simple test really. Load up the database and find four players:

Lee Cattermole

Joey Barton

Dimitar Berbatov

Which of the three would you say controls his temper well, never gets into trouble, and doesn't go diving in? I'd say it's Aggression 5 Berbatov, while aggression 18 Barton and 20 cattermole are well known thugs.

Pretty simple test really. Load up the database and find four players:

Lee Cattermole

Joey Barton

Dimitar Berbatov

Which of the three would you say controls his temper well, never gets into trouble, and doesn't go diving in? I'd say it's Aggression 5 Berbatov, while aggression 18 Barton and 20 cattermole are well known thugs.

edit: Messi is a 7, Rooney a 17. Iniesta a 5, Essien an 18. There's no way low aggression = likely to get into trouble.

Depends on the players really. Strong, non-dirty players with good tackling and mental attributes I'm very comfortable putting on hard tackling. For the aggressive and limited types though, it seems to bring more problems than it's worth, although I may employ it for shorter periods of time for them as well.

Im not saying it makes sense although i have played joey barton alot on hard tackling and can't recall him ever being sent off for me in FM 11 or 10. Yet i have had players with low aggression commit ridiculous fouls in the middle of the pitch for no apparent reason and recieve a straight red In anycase aggression is an attribute which i consider to be something to look for in a player.

Im not saying it makes sense although i have played joey barton alot on hard tackling and can't recall him ever being sent off for me in FM 11 or 10. Yet i have had players with low aggression commit ridiculous fouls in the middle of the pitch for no apparent reason and recieve a straight red In anycase aggression is an attribute which i consider to be something to look for in a player.

A red card from two yellows could be due to a high aggression attribute, the same with professional fouls or handballs in the area etc. "Dangerous two-footed tackles" and other violent behaviour that is penalized by a direct red card and a three-match ban are not linked to aggression at all. They are not even "tackles" per se, but attempts at harming opposing players. I believe that neither the tackling attribute or tactical instruction will have any say on violent behaviour.

Violent behaviour is linked to the hidden Temperament and Dirtiness stats. Probably Sportsmanship as well.

I don't know if fining them (which can make them lose one point of Aggression) will change those hidden stats. Based on the frequency with which fined players continue being violent despite the Aggression attribute dropping like a stone, I would say that it does not.

I therefore presume that the positive reaction to a fine is designed for normal red cards and not violence.

Maybe hard tackling have special influence on derbies and mentality players.

I think it may, Although I usualy go out aiming to maim a few of of the opposition in derbys anyway. Their manager always seems to get under my skin :mad:

Aggression is how strongly a player will challenge for the ball, not that he's more likely to dive in, but that he is more likely to win the ball in the challenge (albeit sometimes giving away fouls). It's how much they want to win the ball, not how much they want to hurt the player - as mentioned, that's related to temperament and dirtiness hidden attributes. Defenders with high aggression will show more intent to stop the opposition than defenders with low aggression, which is a good thing :thup:

On whether temperament and dirtiness attributes can be changed through fining/warning a player I know this: On FM09 I signed a "Temperamental" Brazilian left-back shortly before leaving the job. When I looked at his profile a season or so later, his personality had changed to "Balanced" - what the AI did to alter his temperament I don't know, but it wasn't Tutoring as he was ~26/27 when I signed him.

Archived