Frustrating Contract Situation

Harper

I signed Miralem Pjanic on a free in 2013. A stipulation in his contract was that if he played 20 league games in the final year of the deal, his contract would be extended by an additional year. So, I get to January and fBosman offers start coming in. He hasn't hit 20 games yet, but he is close (15 or so) and he will hit 20 games, no problem. The only reason he hadn't was because he wasn't playing very well at the beginning of the season and lost his spot. It he spent about 4-5 games on the bench until a rash of injuries brought him back into the starting 11.

He ends up accepting a contract from Barcelona. I go to offer him a contract, in hopes of keeping him, but I don't even have the option of offering him a contract! It's not shown in his profile at all. He accepts the Barcelona offer. His contract gets extended once he hits 20 games in February. But his transfer to Barcelona is already signed for. Shouldn't the clause in his contract override the Bosman transfer?

I'm prepared to lose him. And I was going to offer him to clubs in the summer, after his deal got re-upped. But now I am going to lose him on a free. It's my own fault, I should have done my due diligence and locked him up to a new deal. Or just brought him on as a sub every game when he was riding the pine pony. Game 20 was played December 31

But just polling other minds. Is this legit?

In this save, Barcelona could use the help. I think they've won La Liga once, maybe twice in seven years. Valencia is a power house, after some massive investment (three of my former players are key members of their squad; Nasri, Hummels, and a newgen). Wish I hadn't sold Hummels though, he is the exact person I need to replace Cahill, the youth I have are not showing they are ready to start full time).

Nope, his new contract has precedence over his old one. And as soon as he accepts a contract from another club, you don't have a choice of offering one, otherwise players would be accepting contracts only to be gazumped by another club. Imagine if you were on the other end of that?! You should have offered it as soon as you got the message saying Barca were in negotiations with him to stand any chance. Just one of those things, mate.

I've got to say whilst a sympathise with the irritation this situation has cause but that type of clause should only be used for ageing players, that may not get the games but if they do, they can stay another year has reward. Pjanic from your screen shots looks like a first teamer not a back-up player.

On a personal note, I think what happened is right, but it is a grey area, whilst it is a clause in his contract to extend ones games target is reached, it is also in the rules that when a player has six months left on his contract that player is free to negotiate with other clubs if he chooses. BUt thats my opinion.

Back to the game, I don't know how things work because I know that when the magical 30th December comes I always look to see who's contract is expiring in 6 months, there are some players that I can't offer contracts to and others I can. I don't know if it is do with reputation or clauses in the contract (I think I'll look into it the next time round). If it to do with the extension clause for not being able to offer these players contrats then it must be a bug in the game to how the AI can offer your players contracts. Like there used to be a bug where when you set the start of the season to have no transfer budgets, the AI was still allowed to sign contracted coaches, even though you couldn't, becuase you could pay the compensation.

I understand. My biggest issue is that I was unable to offer him a new contract. When I went to offer him a new contract after I saw Barcelona had offer him one, the option was not there. The only option was to offer him out for transfer and to set Transfer/Squad status.

I'm usually on top of re-signing my players, especially those that I can get a good price on.

the player may have decided he didnt want to talk about a new contract therefore not wanting to hear your offer?

I've experienced that after walking out of negotiations. You still get the offer contract screen, but it will be red with a message about why the player won't negotiate, whether it's them being upset they are transfer-listed, or that you walked away from negotiations before, or that they walked away before you negotiated too many times with out making significant progress.

Archived