ReTraining Players Positions

I have some questiosn regarding retraining players into a position.

1. If I click retrain into a position, do I then need to play them there if they are to improve or can they improve without them playing there? Or do you mix it up, and 50% of the time they play their natural position and then 50% of the time you play them in this new position?

2. Also, what If I start playing a player in a position w/o asking them to retrain, will they still get better in that position?

3. Can I train them to 'natural' in a position?

4. If I have a player who is unconvinving in a position, then if a retrain them to that position I can improve them, right?

5. Any other tips on retraining?

1. Can't give you 100% confirmed answer for that. From personal experience, I just play them in the new position, even if they can't play if yet, seems to speed things up a litte. If it's a winger than I want to be able to play either side, sometimes I'll be switching him back and forth regardless of which is his natural.

2. Not as far as I know. You normally get warnings from your Backroom staff if you do it a lot without training them for that position. They'll say 'Player A isn't comfortable in Position X, you should consider training him for that position'.

3. Yes, some are quicker than others. I've had it take up to 2 years to train a Striker to play on the Left Wing as an Insider Forward. Plus if you stop training them for that position, depending on their versatility stat, they can decline in that position, even completely unlearn it.

4. Yes.

5. If they are a good player overall (not lower league ability), just play them in the new position you are training them in. They'll pick it up pretty fast. Just be careful doing it with young players, as learning a new position will have an impact on their stat development, as they can only train so much.

Agree with Viggo however... I actually found that playing youth players (and retraining) into at least one new position will be beneficial to improving their weak points, might be fooling myself, but it has appeared to work. I always manage my youth team and have only had 2 new signings that went straight into the 1st team over last 9 seasons, so I sort a player out and get him comfortable in any position I think he'll need to back-up in the senior team, would hate to have uncomfortable players in the 1sts :). I have had a strange one though - left winger but second choice yth left winger so trained him to play right wing for a year and he didn't pick up anything. Then needed him as a yth striker as I looked at his stats and thought it would fit. Instantly he started improving in that position (only a couple of games played and got up to awkward or something) but then signed a genuine youth striker so put him back to retraining as a right winger and he was accomplished inside 6 months... go figure.

Archived