manager comments

- Or just a poorly implemented feature.

Too few possibilities with media interactions seems to lead to irrelevant, vague or inaccurate manager statements. I have scored on over 80% of my shots and received this message... likewise when I won with a 6 goal margin. (Also nice to be told I am out of my depth after beating MU 6-0 with Cardiff).

I imagine it is something like the Mass Effect dialogue system - I think the responses are meant to display a tone rather than have the necessary relevance to the game in hand.

Why do manager's always come out with a comment regarding the fact my side look to pass the ball into the goal rather than shoot? I have all my tactics as being more direct but constantly I have manager's either saying it is a joy to behold or they criticise??

I've had this after a 7-0 win, with over 20 shots. Admittedly I do use short passing and possession football, but the way it words it is poor. "Your team might do better if"... or something. Better?! I just put 7 past you.

I think it's a flaw in the implementation of that feature. I always get a few of those comments from managers. It was understandable when I played a patient, short passing game but I still have that now despite having switched to a more direct style.

It has nothing to do with your shots or how you play - it is only a "warning" by SI/FM that you have turned "off" Long Shots in your tactic. They don't like it because in RL long shots are an important part of football, but the ME can't handle the decision to shoot from distance well enough so everyone turns it off unless they go pure TC tactics.

Long shots are actually fairly well implemented in 11.3 in my opinion (they were too common in 11.2). They are useful as well because it is a good indicator that your tactical set up isn't really working in breaking down the opposition defence. If you have loads of long shots in a game you are dominating, you should probably tweak your tactical approach or formation as well as just using the work ball into box shout. The only time I set long shots to rarely is for players that have bad long shots & composure tributes.

Long shots are actually fairly well implemented in 11.3 in my opinion (they were too common in 11.2). They are useful as well because it is a good indicator that your tactical set up isn't really working in breaking down the opposition defence. If you have loads of long shots in a game you are dominating, you should probably tweak your tactical approach or formation as well as just using the work ball into box shout. The only time I set long shots to rarely is for players that have bad long shots & composure tributes.

But that means that long shots is only an indicator that something is wrong with your tactic! Noone -wants- to shoot from distance if they can help it. I am feeling very confident whenever I play a match where the opposition is too stressed out to keep their calm and avoid shooting prematurely. It is a sign that I defend well.

Furthermore, since players with 17+ in Long Shots + Shoots With Power and high Decisions, Flair, Technique, Composure and Creativity normally score only a few (certainly less than five) goals from distance per season, the whole long shots thing is so unimpressive that it is genuinely worthless! I mean, even players with no prerequisites to score on long shots at all manage to do so now and again?

If Long Shots is to be a skill that is worth its CA points, the decision of when to shoot from distance needs to be part of that attribute. Right now the difference between 1 and 20 in this attribute is whether you get a corner or not, with the additional drawback that their keeper will gain confidence for each useless shot that he saves.

Talking about poorly carried out features, what the hell is the point of being asked your thoughts on a referee performance, I once had a player sent off and two goals disallowed and questioned the performance of the ref and still got slated by the FA and the board. Totally pointless as it literally is a case of doing better if you say nothing?

Talking about poorly carried out features, what the hell is the point of being asked your thoughts on a referee performance, I once had a player sent off and two goals disallowed and questioned the performance of the ref and still got slated by the FA and the board. Totally pointless as it literally is a case of doing better if you say nothing?

Well in real life those are mind-games intended to swerve refereeing decisions your way over time, similar to the "Argues with referees" PPM. I don't know if either actually do that in FM, but I doubt it.

Archived