Definitely a bug..

Playing in the SPL at the start the champions of scotland have to play in the 3rd qualifying round for the champs cup, this is the same as in real life, however if you play a few seasons and win the champions cup every season you still have to play in the qualifying round. I was in the final 3 seasons running winning it twice and even as holders if you are a scottish club you have to qualify.

I was not amused when as champions I drew Man Utd in qualifying round 3 and got knocked out and had to suffer the much poorer standard uefa cup.

Playing in the SPL at the start the champions of scotland have to play in the 3rd qualifying round for the champs cup, this is the same as in real life, however if you play a few seasons and win the champions cup every season you still have to play in the qualifying round. I was in the final 3 seasons running winning it twice and even as holders if you are a scottish club you have to qualify.

I was not amused when as champions I drew Man Utd in qualifying round 3 and got knocked out and had to suffer the much poorer standard uefa cup.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you not remember last/this season in the champs league???

My team (Liverpool) won the champs league last season only to have to start from the very first round in the competition this season because we finished outside the top four...

The rules are the rules (even though they were slightly bent in Liverpool's situation as we shouldn't really have been in the competition at all this season according to last seasons rule). I'm not saying that the rules are fair, I'm just saying that this is the way it works at the moment icon_rolleyes.gif

Source, Liverpool's situation was an anomaly.

Had Arsenal (or Villareal) won the CL this season, Celtic would be entered next year in the third qualification round. Because neither side triumphed, Celtic are in the Group Stages.

The reason? The CL winners from this seaon onward are treated as top seeds regardless of their league position, and as neither Arsenal nor Villareal were ever going to finish in the top two, they'd have shoved Celtic down a place.

It seems to me that FM Handheld simply doesn't have UEFA rankings, so Scotland is always fixed at having two entrants that enter in the 2nd and 3rd qualifying rounds regardless. Perhaps Dave could tell us how many Scottish sides participated in that CL competition after he won it.

Not so much a bug, more a missing feature.

Crayola is right, there were still just the two teams in the champions league, celtic entered in the 2nd round and as scottish champs I entered in the 3rd round.

It's not that annoying but out of 7 seasons one of the seasons I drew man utd and lost in the qualifying round even though I was the holders!

I just don't play in the scottish league anymore, just won my 4th dutch double in a row and second successive champions league with Go Ahead Eagles!

No problem in the dutch league as the champions go straight into the group stages

Archived