Words cannot describe the confusion...

So I have this young winger, the best winger and arguably the club's best player... Let's call him Ian. The next part is a long winded explination of the background, if you want to get straight to the whole point of the thread just skip ahead or if you have no interest in this thread here is some chocolate (carefully note that you cannot eat this chocolate as it is only an image on your computer screen). So the day I signed Ian my fans said that it was a terrible move and that would be disrupt the whole club with his terrible attitude, of course I laughed this off and just assumed that he'd win them over on the pitch. Of course he broke his nose within a minute on his debut, but hey... Once he was in the side he was quite decent. He did have one problem though, he had trouble playing 2 matches in a week over the course of months as happens mid season and as such I needed to bring in a younger player to rotate him with. This kid took the bull by the horns, but could only play on one side, so Ian who could play on the left or right ended up on the left. He did well there and ultimately the younger (18 years old, Ian is 20) winger got to keep his right wing position. Ian taking that left wing position meant that my retiring left winger was replaced and replaced well, and ultimately that became his position for me.

I eventually signed another older Norwegian winger (as I'm in Norway) to cover the kid who played on the right wing and tutor him. To my surprise Ian was enraged thinking that he was under pressure by the number of players in his position despite him not playing this position in months. This was even more confusing as Ian was the best paid and most expensive player the club had ever had whilst this 32 year old player cost next to nothing and was being paid in bananas (or at least what they cost these days). I assured him that he was first choice to which he replied: "I hope you keep your promise!" My immediate reaction was shock as there wasn't really any promise there, I just told him he was first choice...

Anyhow, time passes, things are fine and he's play quite well. On the last day of the transfer window however he suddenly comes to me demanding a transfer having only signed a new bumper 5 year deal less than a week earlier. Why? Because he's not had enough first team football. He's played the 6th most games this season at the club, which is good considering that he can barely play 3 games in two weeks. He's about as first choice as he could be and yet he's suddenly decided that not only is he not first choice, but he's not playing first team football. I of course reject the request but then he comes to me whinging about my rejection of it. So what did I do, I told him to shut his crybaby mouth!

...any guesses of what comes next?

If you answered he accepted my position and suddenly has me in his favoured personnel and is suddenly happy with the whole situation, without a word... Then you're 100% correct...

The hell is this?! Words cannot describe the confusion that this has caused me, so here's a picture of Jackie Chan that demonstrates it slightly better:

jackie-chan-whut.jpg

Ian is one of those players that you say: " Fair enough... I've tried, but if you're going to be like that then here's your marching orders".

A lost cause, in other words.

I've had players like this and their actions don't make sense but I think every now and again you have to remind yourself that this is in fact a video game (albeit a very clever one) and stuff like this inevitably happens from time to time.

I think it's a testament to the top work that SI do that scenarios like this don't occur more often.

Edit: Brilliant read by the way :D

Great post :D

I tend to not buy anyone too volatile/confrontational so most of my private chats consist of:

Player: 'I think I deserve a new deal', 'I think I have achieved everything I can here and need a new challenge', 'I'm unhappy about the lack of first team opportunities'

Me: 'Shut up you idiot'

Player: 'OK I accept I may have been a little out of line, this is going well, is there anything else you want to discuss whilst we are getting things done?'

I actually signed an Argentinian striker who I'll call Charles for the previous Champions League campaign. A big target man who could play the ball a bit. On the eve of the Champions League group stages, he declared that he was not settling in Norway. I said I'd bring someone in and he said: "Cool, well you should sign Bobby". I looked up Bobby and he had an £8 mil price tag (I signed this guy for £600k, and that was a big signing at the time!) and was on £30k a week (half of what my squad was worth at the time). Needless to say Charles is now plying his trade elsewhere.

Why do you give them code names? :D

Yeah that feature is a bit odd sometimes...as I tend to manage higher league clubs I find the opposite is true as well. You spend a few million on a foreign player who then struggles to settle and then you offer to bring somebody in and they ask you to bring in some rubbish player who is worth £3k playing in some obscure league.

Whats even stranger is that there is no obvious connection between the players. OK they are probably the same nationality and speak the same language but they tend not to be on each others favoured personnel list or have ever played for the same clubs or national side etc

To sum it up, Ian, despite his talent, has high Temperament, low Professionality (fails to make sure he is fit), low Sportsmanship but high Ambition, high Dirtiness... basically all his hidden mental stats are the epitome of tragedy. Your fans were right - he will eventually become unpopular with the rest of the squad and you will repeatedly have to reply to nonsensical Balotelli-esque issues brought up by him.

He wouldn't be worth it even if he -was- Mario himself and you somehow got him to the Norwegian premiership.

On the advice of those in this thread Ian has been sold to some unlucky side (Estudiantes) for a club record £6.5 mil. He did get a fair few assists, but the combination of his attitude and his lack of consistency meant that he really wasn't worth keeping around. I used the money to fund a £5.25 mil move for a 19 year old regen winger Esai Malfleury, a 6'4" monster winger who has a bit of pace and a deadly freekick.

He debuted against Real Madrid in the away leg of our Champions League round of 16 clash. He was right in the thick of the action setting up a goal and involved in a second inside 15 minutes. Of course Madrid's quality shone through and my barely match fit side (it's preseason in Norway) fell away terribly as the game finished 2-2.

He was at it again though back in Drammen this time with his freekick ability. Firstly setting one up from out wide before curling in a 30 yarder to make it 2-0 again. It was shades of that day in Madrid as we conceded within seconds of the restart after half time, but my other young set piece taker 5'3" Serkan Arslan decided to get in on the action setting up a third from the corner before Malfleury and Arslan combined to give Real Madrid the run around and set up a 4th as Stromsgodset stormed to a historic 4-1 (6-3 on agg.) win in Drammen.

Talk about good advice! Thanks guys!

'I'm unhappy about the lack of first team opportunities'

Which ALWAYS happens the day you win the title. All the bit-part players who aren't good enough to play but have been happy hanging around for a medal suddenly are unhappy with their lack of first team football.

Although my reply is always "offer to clubs, transfer list, set to not needed, okay bye then". My way or the highway :)

I always love your threads, thanks for the chocolate and I've had a story similar to that. Not quite so confusing though, my player was 8th most played in team. (Only because of injury) Injured player comes back and BAM!!! he's unhappy with lack of first team football transfer listed the whinger...

As a bit of irony, first game he played at his new club was against me... and who scored an own goal?

I like it when you have a private chat with a player who doesnt speak any english and you ask him to learn a preferred move or something and he is like "sure I would like to do that" better if he came out with some portugese babajabba, in this instance anyways..

I once had a player that i signed in the summer, and after 4 games into the season he was complaining at not playing enough first team football, although he had appeared as a sub in all 4 games...we had abit of an arguement so he didnt play again and was sold in January.

I like it when you have a private chat with a player who doesnt speak any english and you ask him to learn a preferred move or something and he is like "sure I would like to do that" better if he came out with some portugese babajabba, in this instance anyways..

Me: What seems to be the problem Honda?

本田 圭佑: 私は遊びます事が嫌いですよ。出かけたい。

Me: ...

1082.jpeg

...you want a new contract?

Another one of these that bugs me is when a player comes with concerns that the club is underachieving, where is the option to tell him that you agree but had he played better we would be doing fine.

Archived