Painful to watch yet still winning for now anyway

resr.jpg

Currently playing as Leicester and am allowing myself to only sign British players. Got promoted which was as easy as it should be and then finished 10th in the EPL. Second season roles around and signed some decent players that were an improvement on last season. My results look quite good but my team is painful to watch and I am really riding my luck. Every match has seen the opposition have far more shots than us and even if we had more CCC's we missed them. My DMC gets caught on the ball a lot, my defenders get skinned easily, the AI find through balls the cut my defence open easy, my strikers shoot from miles out or get close and blast it wide, the AI no matter if it's Stoke, Man United or Colchester pass the ball like they are Barcelona.

Anyone else had their team play so bad yet get results? Not sure what I should do really. Team talks are the same method I use in all my games and my two main tactics were successful last season.

I wonder if this is how Bolton fans used to feel watching in the Allardyce days... Still, admire your determination to only buy british players. Have you sold the non-brits or are you waiting for them to fade out? It's not that surprising that your team aren't playing beautiful football, have you watched england lately? (I do love my countries football team but we aren't the best to watch most of the time..)

19 Englishmen, 3 Irish, one Scottish and one Welsh. I have one Japanese player in the reserves I haven't managed to sell. I am not expecting awesome Barca style football with a midfield of James McCarthy, Stephen Ireland and Jonjo Shelvey I just expect passes to reach players wearing the same coloured shirt lol.

19 Englishmen, 3 Irish, one Scottish and one Welsh. I have one Japanese player in the reserves I haven't managed to sell. I am not expecting awesome Barca style football with a midfield of James McCarthy, Stephen Ireland and Jonjo Shelvey I just expect passes to reach players wearing the same coloured shirt lol.

A realistic expectation... and in all honesty they're all decent passers of the ball. Are you playing with 3 in central midfield? I would've thought that would help keep possession, otherwise I'm at a loss, not really a tactical genius when it comes to that, some of they guys over there might be able to help with possession retention and stopping defence splitting passes.

One or two things that might help - I normally manually put my CBs closing down to 'Own Area' as it stops them charging at forwards and having the ball played in behind them so much. Also creative freedom can be helpful for improving players' passing, and getting fullbacks forward can also provide more options for passes.

I hope the style issue improves and the good results keep coming!

My first year as F.C. Nordsjælland (Danish team), with only 1 transfer Stefan Gislason in on a free to replace the out of contract Patrice Bernier, I managed to win the Danish Cup (2-0 final win over Copenhagen!). Got into the group stages of the Europa League (3-0 agg. win over Galatasaray! (I know right!) to qualify), to then take 2nd place in the group with 3 wins, 3 losses, with 2 wins over Grasshoppers and 1 win over Fenerbahce(!), knocked out by Lille 2-2 on away goals in the 1st Knockout round. Finished the league in 4th to qualify for the Europa League again next season. Even had the league top scorer with Nordstrand, who was on loan from Copenhagen, with 15 goals.

If you've ever loaded up the Danish league and looked at FCN, there is only 1 real stand out player (Bjelland), but often enough with the AI they tend to get relegated within the first or second season. No idea how I managed to achieve what I did, Gislason's form wasn't even that good (great stats for a Ball Winning MC), with 6.81 average. But it skyrocketed my players values, so I made a killing in the transfer market the next season (3.9mil from 7 sales).

Best I've ever done in my first season, without overhauling the squad. Deffinalty overachieved. I achieved less the following season with better players brought in. Crazy.

Archived