Behold! The first possible first team player emerging from my Academy...ever!

I know, it's pretty rare even at clubs with a fairly good reputation at that sort of thing, though I have been at a couple that were considerable exceptions (albeit in the German 3rd/2nd Div and Czech lower leagues) that did throw out quite a few good youngsters for the level every time.

How much can his Anticipation, Bravery and Work Rate improve, I wonder...

Those doesn't matter too much on the wing - I have had more selfish and lazy players than that before. I do hope they go up to 11-12ish though as I try to find less selfish players up front.

I think I will tutor him, though. "Determined" isn't as good as "Resolute" or "Resilient".

Those doesn't matter too much on the wing - I have had more selfish and lazy players than that before. I do hope they go up to 11-12ish though as I try to find less selfish players up front.

I think I will tutor him, though. "Determined" isn't as good as "Resolute" or "Resilient".

It can be. With 19 determination and a 'Determined' personaity, his professionalism could be as high as 18.

I love it when academy players come good :) i'm in 2025 on my current save and only had 2 ever come through good enoughto feature in my first team. One is a striker and is now England captain, the other is a MC who may or may not end up being good enough to cement a first team place. I've bought quite a few young players who have started in my youths and risen up to get into the first team, but very few come through our own academy.

Well it's harder to get any through at high clubs, but I've had at least 3 or 4 so far (one every 3 years or so) that have at least been decent premiership quality and dozens for the championship. Stats don't always seem much but high potential ratings and they play well, though mostly I do poach from other academies as they seem to have more luck.

Lower league ones on the other hand you should get a reasonable one each year unless you're flying up the leagues, with the odd star.

Really? So he doesn't become "Resilient" or whatever until his Professionalism is 19 or so? I will wait and see how he develops, then.

No. I was referring to this:

Re 'more professional' - Determination can be an indicator, I have noticed that a player's description swaps between 'Professional' and 'Determined' when determination moves beyond 17, when determination reaches 20 the description becomes 'Very Determined' (IIRC) but can become 'Model Professional', this suggests to me that Professionalism takes preference over Determination and leads me to the conclusion that a player with 18 Determination has 18 or 19 for Professionalism if described as a 'Professional'.

The reason I can gauge this is I assumed that 'Model Professional' is the best it can get and so used one with 20 Determination as a tutor and observed the effects on the youngster it went like this: >Determination=18, Personality=Determined< >Determination=18,Personality=Professional< >Determination=19, Personality=Determined< >Determination=19, Personality=Professional< >Determination=20, Personality=Very Determined< >Determination=20, Personality=Model Professional'.

(OK, that last bit was like doing a press conference, it is a pretty long winded explanation and hope you managed to stay awake.)

Spoiler contains hidden attribute numbers

I believe 'Resolute' requires 15-17 Professionalism which falls within the 'Fairly Professional' region.

I use my squad personality to roughly gauge how professional my young players are by checking their coach reports for one that compares the two. (obviously I must have a Professional squad personality)

No. I was referring to this:

Spoiler contains hidden attribute numbers

I believe 'Resolute' requires 15-17 Professionalism which falls within the 'Fairly Professional' region.

I use my squad personality to roughly gauge how professional my young players are by checking their coach reports for one that compares the two. (obviously I must have a Professional squad personality)

Well, makes sense that, but there is no way to find out what his Professionalism is as long as he is described as Determined and the squad is described as Very Determined. However, before the squad was described as Determined it was described as Professional so there is good reason to believe that my team is reasonably professional. Especially considering how well many of them have or must have developed to become as good as they are.

tbh if you give players a chance they might surprise you.. As an example I had a leeds game (20+ seasons) where because of poor management I was left without a DR and AMC and the transfer window was closed.. so I took 2 "ok" youngsters from my youth team and gave them a chance.. they had the attributes of players that you normally would release 1 season after they appeared. No attributes over 15 and most between 8 and 12 and then many below 8.

Yet 4-5 seasons later both were regulars on the english national team, having won several EPL titles and a single CL title. the AMC was probably one of the best midfielders in the game.. they didnt have the best attributes in the world, but no other player could perform like those two! - since then I've managed to develop several youth players to become regulars.. not with the same succes, but good enough to play in my first team.

The moral of the story is.. dont throw players away just because they dont look like big talents.. give them a chance.. Since my leeds game I ALWAYS have 2-3 youth players in my first team and let them have a match here and there and if a player is starting to look like he can cope he will get more and more matches and some do turn into quite good players

i almost did it again a few seasons ago, had a young player, fantastic finishing and off the ball but very little else, didnt see much of a future so chucked him on loan to Forfar in the 3rd division, he single handedly got them promoted, and kept them in the second division, now he is first choice for me and scored 50 in 70 odd games. Some regens are just not obviously good when you first get them, but any of them with good PA can be brought up to an acceptable level. Just dont release everyone the day they arrive!!!

Yeah the problem is that I never get rid of any academy players. I tutor them all with my best tutors, and put them in the correct training regime and do everything in my power to let them fulfil their potential. The best I have achieved so far is one guy who is a squad player CD at Liverpool (who is a fairly poor team in the PL now). I had hopes for him since he was over two meters tall and not slow, and he got a fair amount of chances for me before I decided that there was no point.

rinconattributes.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rincon.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I really like the look of Rincon, I always get a technically poor but very physical defender for my team and he would fit the bill. His movement isn't that bad either, I would have tutored him with somebody quite aggressive though so he can get stuck in.

Really surprised he didn't score more from corners. I have a softspot for powerhouses. :(

I really like the look of Rincon, I always get a technically poor but very physical defender for my team and he would fit the bill. His movement isn't that bad either, I would have tutored him with somebody quite aggressive though so he can get stuck in.

Really surprised he didn't score more from corners. I have a softspot for powerhouses. :(

I didn't have that many good tutors back then. Didn't know too much about tutoring/player development back then either. I guess he is a decent player, but I really need to aim higher. Even back when I sold him it was clear that he wouldn't become good enough for me as he was the fifth best defender already then.

Archived