Huge salary demands

How do you deal with a key player demanding a huge salary at renewal with one year before his contract expires?

I coach Real Madrid and I have this Dutch attacking midfielder who is vital for my team and his NT. He earns a lot of money, like 21 million per year, and wants 38 (!!!) at renewal. What would you do, considering it is quite impossible to find a replacing attacking midfielder for him right now? [if you want to know why, read here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/275179-Lack-of-players-in-positions?p=7090774#post7090774].

How would you deal with this situation?

Get the agent to like you, sign some of the agent's young players on a cheap/free with high agent fees. Also try and give as many bonuses as possible so you can lower the wage.

A club like Real Madrid does not need to do that IRL. And I wouldn't do it myself, I use my finance wisely and can't spend money for rubbish players.

I had the same problem at Valencia. I had an ageing Joaquin earning £60k pw and he would not budge with his demands. Couldn't sell him and no chance of releasing him with our finances in a shambles. I eventually just had to wait out his contract (he seemed perfectly happy not getting much game time for the next 18 months or so).

Towards the very end of their contracts (3 months minus) players start to lower their demands, sometimes significantly. If a player's being a dick about wages I normally leave it until closer to the renewal date and try again. Obviously you run the risk of him being nicked on a free, but if I set asking price to £100m I never get bids even on pre-contract.

if you really want him you DONT have to sign any of the agents players. just offer them contracts theyll accept like 200,000 pw and just cancle the transfer but the agent will still like you for being able to negotiate with you keep doing it till the relationship between you and the agent is respectful then go back into negotiations with the player you want to sign. i didn't realise this till i tried to sign messi didn't work then i offerd the agents worst players 200,000 per week so they accepted then withdrew the offer then he loved me before trying to sign messi and he was willing to do a deal went from demanding 450,000 pw to 275,000 which i could afford.

Archived