Lack of players in positions

Does it happen to some of you that for one-two years every time it is a high lack of some players? I remember coaching Shakhtar from 2010 from 6 years and not being able to find a left winger for two years. Then I coached Ajax and for 2 years I couldn't find any left backs. Now I coach Real Madrid and I lack right midfielders and attacking midfielders. Is it only my game or sometimes you're just not able to find players in certain positions?

Sometimes I find some player's stats are more suited to play in positions they don't know. Like DMs with perfect DC stats, AMC with great winger stats, so try widening your search to other positions that have the stats to play those positions. For wingers, check players who are wing-backs and attacking midfielders.

Good example of this is

Kara, a Sengal DM in Norway

who is an amazing DC if you retrain him for that position.

ally mccoist was a midfielder

torres used to be a striker too

Too funny :D

Yeah DMs are everywhere. One would have hoped that there should be some "each position has a minimum of x regens" thing, but it seems this year everyone was a striker or a DM.

retraining is a big part of football in real life also, for e.g. didn't alan shearer start out as a gk?

Nope, this story has turned into a bit of a myth. He played in goal during a trial match, which also had other players having a spell between the sticks. This was mentioned by Alan Shearer himself in an interview many years ago.

A good example of players changing position would be Paul Warhurst who started out as a center half and then played center forward at Sheffield Wednesday. When Blackburn signed him, he played as a center midfielder.

Ooh...on an off topic note. A quarter of my total number of posts have been today. Aren't you lot lucky :)

Thierry Henry came to Arsenal as a failing left winger from Juventus, he left Arsenal as one of the greatest strikers in the premiership. Retraining does happen.

Steven Gerrard played as a DM in his early Liverpool career as he hit the first team he was developed into an AM and often used on the wing.

Bale came to Tottenham as a Left back from Southampton, he won player of the year as a left winger

Theo Walcott was a striker, now often used on the right wing.

There are many examples. Often with only a small change in position however

LW to ST

DM to AM

LB to LW etc.

A good example of players changing position would be Paul Warhurst who started out as a center half and then played center forward at Sheffield Wednesday. When Blackburn signed him, he played as a center midfielder.

That's a good point. At Barnet I couldn't work out where he was playing!

Joey Barton may yet be trained to be a footballer. Though more likely he'll become a utility man - so long as the gas board have a vacancy.

Retraining positions is something you can do as mentioned. Lots of examples. So I'm just backing the idea to retrain your youngsters so they can slot in when needed. Or else buy a player with good stats for that position and start retraining immediately.

What does it take? 3 months or something?

I thought people didn't do this because the new position would spend some of the CA?
sometimes its a necessary sacrifice. you might lose some CA but if you really are short in a certain position in your save and the only players available who are up to your teams standard are ancient or extortionate then it will be worth it

You guys need to address your scouting knowledge by the sounds of it. A good idea would be to get a scout from Brazil and a scout from your 'other nationalities/leagues' whatever - mine are germany and Holland. Plus I have seen and used a good scout in the Middle East - Saudi Arabia is best. I set my scouts a maximum age limit of 18 for foreign players and have acquired some gems. As an A League team I can't keep really good players but I can develop 18 yos and get at least three 1st team seasons out of them before selling at the end of their (usually) second contract. Building Scouting knowledge does amazing things for your recruiting. Also I play with a large dB on this game for first time (newish computer) and I think it makes recruiting easier. I am still surprised by good players popping up in opposition teams every now and then and think - where did they come from? Most often though they don't fit my pace & technique or height rquirements.

Archived