height/weight of a player

I was told a while ago that the height statistic is purely cosmetic and that jumping is the actual determination of how high someone can reach. This forum has always seemed a but speculative though so it could be untrue.

Yeah, I'd say that if you look at discussion of this on these boards, it's about 50/50 that height is either purely cosmetic, or contributes to jumping (or even heading) ability.

I'm a bit anal about having Centre backs with jumping of at least 15-16 so height matters for that position to me. If a CB is under 6 foot he's not playing for me.

I did have a Right Back who was immense but was a midget, watching him on 3D was like one of the ball boys or mascots had bagged a game.

From the manual http://www.sega.com/fm11/manual/172

Jumping

This attribute related to a player's aerial reach from a standing start. It is an attribute which is relative to every other individual on the pitch. For example, a player who is 190cm will be able to reach higher than a player who is 170cm even with a poor jumping effort, regardless of the jumping ability the shorter player possesses.

So I guess height do have a say.

The official manual specifically states that height has an effect on jumping, so if a player is tall but with a mediocre jumping attribute, he'll still consistently be able to win aerial challenges against a short player with a mediocre jumping attribute.

Weight appears to be purely cosmetic.

Archived