This just isn't funny anymore

So, I spend most of my time playing the game searching for young players who might be good. Every once and a while I actually spot a young player who is worthwhile, and in my current save with Stromsgodset a fraction of these players actually want to join my side. As such when I find someone who fits that category I normally have good hopes for the future with that player and sign them immediately, even if they can't join for 6+ months. The game however appears less than impressed when I do this and as such has a habbit for giving these players horrific career threatening injuries, just to remind me who's boss. This wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for the fact that it seemed to happen at an alarming incidence. Some quick examples (all regens)

Alex - He agreed to join my Honvéd side at 16 years of age from Coritiba in Brazil, needless to say - Broken Legs (yes, two before he finally signed for me) - Was only injured once more in 11 years with my club, and that was a stubbed toe

Mamouh Salah - Ironically the "replacement" for Alex, did his knee and was out for 6 months the day after agreeing to join my side at 17. Although he did do his knee again at 23.

Daouda Barro - I spent 3 years chasing this kid, he finally agrees to join me... Broken leg! Never injured again!

Paulo Ceasar - 16 year old goalkeeper, signed for my club and celebrated by breaking his ankle <- This season!

...and now, 17 year old Ivorian centrehalf Lamine Brou, set to join later in the year. He was essentially the clubs saviour at centreback. Well, he's not playing until he's at least 18 and a half now, as of course he blew his knee!

You know, this happening once or twice is okay, but it happening on a regular basis to young players who then go on to have no injury problems is just silly. Really, what do the AI clubs do to these kids?

Do you think the AI managers are doing what some of the forum members do when a player agrees to leave. Setting their training to heavy and retraining them to a new position :).

I really hope not!!!

Speaking of Nottingham Forest though, how's its feeling after the game on the weekend?

I can picture it "okay, I will let you leave.. if you can leave.. without your legs! mwahaha" *breaks legs or knees with bat*.

Or maybe it's part of some bizarre initiation ceremony for your club, the player has to break a leg in advance.

I can picture it "okay, I will let you leave.. if you can leave.. without your legs! mwahaha" *breaks legs or knees with bat*.

Or maybe it's part of some bizarre initiation ceremony for your club, the player has to break a leg in advance.

Hahahaha! Best reasoning ever!

In truth its probably just a bit of selective memory, the more I think about it I used to turn over 10+ signings a season at Honvéd (at least) and the vast majority arrived unscathed. This one like Alex though is very high profile to me though as my defence shocking and this kid is already better than what I already had and according to my top scout could be "a lot better than [my captain]". Then again maybe its a good omen. Alex started slowly and whilst my assistant spent his time tell me to drop him (and transfer list him once..?) he came good and won World player of the year first at 26, then retained it until I stopped playing that save, so maybe... On the flip side I think Salah went on to flip burgers... so who knows.

Do you think the AI managers are doing what some of the forum members do when a player agrees to leave. Setting their training to heavy and retraining them to a new position :).
Ahhh... I don't feel so guilty now, knowing other people do it too! :DSpeaking of which, Esteban Granero's move to my club didn't work out. He wasn't playing well enough, so dropped to the bench, then our of the squad... began complaining rather than accept the challenges I presented to earn a place or improve, so when another club came in for him, upon securing the sale, he's now on intense goalie position training, with a corresponding GK training schedule. ;)

The hell?!

So, I signed another youngster to cover the position that the new youngster who did his knee was meant to play in the Champions League campaign. I also had to go and make this joke earlier in the thread:

Back on topic though I just signed another young defender to "replace" this guy for the half of the season that this guy will be injured for and...

...bam! Day before he signs for me he's out for the rest of the season with a torn hamstring! Oh yeah!

Third time lucky, I've signed another defender to take this role. He's not even close to the other two, but he'll have to do. He's joining in a weeks time... All I can do is hope!

Archived