*OFFICIAL* Blog Feedback - Media & subscriptions

Of course, all of the news items that you see are controllable via the subscriptions screen, which has also been improved for Football Manager 2012, making it easier to reset your changes, the ability to subscribe to players, staff and clubs via the search screen and the ability to subscribe and unsubscribe to awards news items.

Hoping that Screen Flow got some love in this revision. It's currently rather awkward to set up, and not always clear how it fits with competitions that you subscribe to. Turning Screen Flow into subscription options for these competitions could streamline these interfaces.

Sounds like good tweaks. Anything to streamline the clicking-through-your-inbox routine is probably a good thing. I've lost count of the times I've missed news items I wanted to read because there were a gazillion others I just wanted to click past.

No more *spacebar*, *click accept* when trawling through 100 offers? Shame :(

Only joking. Top tweaking !

Mind you, it isn't terribly difficult to resolve multiple transfer items in the current version by using the Transfer Centre. Marks them all as read in your inbox, once you've dealt with them there.

Hope with the press conference if I say I'm confident in all areas of my teams ability it won't say it was a cagey press conference/cagey response, as surely that's not cagey at all.

I hate it when its the opposite. In my Villa save up against Chelsea I was asked if I felt I had a chance of winning, I had a few injuries to some key players, so I said we have to be realistic and acknowledge that this is going to be tough, I was asked which areas do I need to strengthen. Just had to say No Comment because I couldnt say well I'm playing Chelsea and they are odds on favourites and Thats why its going to be tough not becuase my team need strengthening. Anyway won 1-0.

No more *spacebar*, *click accept* when trawling through 100 offers? Shame :(

Only joking. Top tweaking !

Hopefully, when replying to loan offers, you'll be able to see whether a team plans to use your player as a first-team regular or back-up in the Transfer Centre this year (unless you already can and I've just missed it?!)

Hopefully, when replying to loan offers, you'll be able to see whether a team plans to use your player as a first-team regular or back-up in the Transfer Centre this year (unless you already can and I've just missed it?!)

In FM2011 you can only see in the news item, not in the transfer centre! Really hope that this will change in FM2012, as for me its the most important factor when deciding to wich club i will let my players go on loan.

In FM2011 you can only see in the news item, not in the transfer centre! Really hope that this will change in FM2012, as for me it's the most important factor when deciding to wich club i will let my players go on loan.

On the loan front I also think its important to know how the proposed club play, I'd rather not send my skilful midfielder to a club that choose to by-pass the midfield by punting the ball to the corners for a speed-merchant wingers to chase.

A merge with a brief scouting report would be ideal as at them moment I have to guess how managers a, b or c go about the business of playing football.

Hope with the press conference if I say I'm confident in all areas of my teams ability it won't say it was a cagey press conference/cagey response, as surely that's not cagey at all.

I thought this was the sort of thing that happens when a journalist doesn't like you.

I really hope that information is on the transfer centre this edition.

The press conferences are a real concern at the moment. They affect the games opinion of you (likes talking to the press etc) and my assistant sometimes screws them up, so I do them. However, it's on autopilot. This area of the game, the interaction with the media and other managers needs to be improved substantially. No game actually offers a solid foundation for this (maybe it's just too difficult) but the repetitive questions in every conference is just annoying.

The changes announced appear to offer little in this regard, just the option of a few different questions. Surely this should be enhanced after so many years of being poor-mediocre in this area. It might not be a major concern but after a while it needs to be looked at!

Changes look good although I hope this

and even specific questions and answers for when your players have hit the woodwork a number of times during the match,

doesn't mean it the game will be tweaked so that there's an increase in the number of times the woodwork is hit just so the question can be asked

The press conferences are a real concern at the moment. They affect the games opinion of you (likes talking to the press etc) and my assistant sometimes screws them up, so I do them. However, it's on autopilot. This area of the game, the interaction with the media and other managers needs to be improved substantially. No game actually offers a solid foundation for this (maybe it's just too difficult) but the repetitive questions in every conference is just annoying.

The changes announced appear to offer little in this regard, just the option of a few different questions. Surely this should be enhanced after so many years of being poor-mediocre in this area. It might not be a major concern but after a while it needs to be looked at!

What is your actual suggestion as to how they should change the press conferences?

I've never really seen anything interesting in the papers resulting from a press conference. It's either

1. "The boys done good" for victory/ "we didn't work hard enough out there" for bad defeats

2. "The ref robbed us"/ "the oppo cheated"/"the oppo manager is a twunt" for close defeats

3. "I'm really/not interested in Team X's Player Y" or "our new winger Player Z has been great/needs time to settle"

They seem to have those ones covered. Can you actually name the sort of questions that the AI should be asking? I understand the questioning of the occasional faulty logic of conferences, and I personally hate how the game ignores your entire conference bar a single response to a single question (meaning that I can spend my time slagging off the ref, my own team, the opposition, and the journalists themselves, and the only thing the press focus on is that I backed Messi for Player of the Year), but the repetitiveness is part and parcel of the press.

What is your actual suggestion as to how they should change the press conferences?

I've never really seen anything interesting in the papers resulting from a press conference. It's either

1. "The boys done good" for victory/ "we didn't work hard enough out there" for bad defeats

2. "The ref robbed us"/ "the oppo cheated"/"the oppo manager is a twunt" for close defeats

3. "I'm really/not interested in Team X's Player Y" or "our new winger Player Z has been great/needs time to settle"

They seem to have those ones covered. Can you actually name the sort of questions that the AI should be asking? I understand the questioning of the occasional faulty logic of conferences, and I personally hate how the game ignores your entire conference bar a single response to a single question (meaning that I can spend my time slagging off the ref, my own team, the opposition, and the journalists themselves, and the only thing the press focus on is that I backed Messi for Player of the Year), but the repetitiveness is part and parcel of the press.

Ok, I disagree with this. I've seen numerous insightful comments from managers in the press. For a start they don't need to have a press conference with every question the same all the time. At no point is there ever a change. More depth and variety is essential along with responses to actual game development. Deeper questions on other teams other than just "will they be challenging at the end of the season", those are around all the time IRL. It could just be a much more immersive experience than it currently is. Also, I don't want this game to just be enough, I want it to be the full on experience with bells and whistles. It might only be slightly cosmetic but at least it'd be better for long-term management interest (breaking things up a bit is good).

A major change could be the occasional one-on-one interview that could have some in-depth questions related to your season or something. From that the game could take traits in management style, tactical awareness (in this game the tactics were different, why? line of Q's) and other personality styles. This is possible to add and would at least be a refreshing change from the monotony of questions currently present. The obvious difficulty is of stock responses but they just need expanding. Any line of research into how questions are conducted and what responses will mean would allow this to be accomplished.

edit Also, what about chairmen? They, or other board members, make comments pretty regularly IRL, often against manager's wishes. That could be added in as well, particularly interfering chairmen.

I wonder if we'll see an end to post-match press conferences that seem to revolve around the opposition, getting bored of 4 out of 5 questions being about the striker that but my defence to the sword

In the press confernences, will you be able to use the new tones ?

thanks.

Will the "Tone" feature be available in press conferences? This would really help liven them up.

+1 for this question. There's a screenshot on Steam of the tones being used in a private chat with a player. I was thinking that the tones were in all of the conversations until a screenshot of a board conversation in a recent blog post didn't have them. So my curiosity is sparked again.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think tone is used in press conferences. Petty...

Another thing:

I manage Telstar of the dutch Eerste Divisie in the demo and the following happened:

When I won the "eerste periode" (first period), and in that way secured a playoff spot (the season is cut into chunks of 8 games with the clubs who do best in such a period earning a playoff spot), nothing was mentioned about this except in a single news item after the game was played. A very businesslike: "Telstar secure playoff spot". No cheerfull fans, no proud director, no congratulations or questions on the subject in the after-match (or before-match) press conference, nothing. I wasn't made aware before the match that something big was at stake, and there weren't any comments to choose from in team talk, like "come on guys, you can win a playoff spot today!" not even in the after game team talk "Tell the lads they did wel winning the First Period securing a place in the playoffs". Especially for a mediocre club like Telstar these are enormous feats. I guess every club would be very happy after such a success.

I don't know how the game handles these types of matches where "prizes" can be or are won in general. I can't remember being asked these sorts of questions in FM11 when I was within a 3 point reach of such a "prize" on "dead-line-day". I feel there should be some warm-up towards such important matches in the media.

• 2 weeks later...

Revise screen flow. Current system is just not on.

Have it set up so that you have a screen with options for all competitions and it is just a case of selecting box (cross or tick) and then that competition will flow like the competitions did in FM08 and before.

Archived