Board expectations

They seem to increase each season with a club, regardless of how realistic that is. Having guided Peterhead into the Scottish Premier with back to back promotions, our first season there ended in a shock 2nd place, behind Celtic. The board only asked to avoid relegation as the basic expectation. So, new season, comfortable mid-table finish or avoid relegation again? No, they want European qualification and here's £325k cash and a £43k wage budget to do it. Now, firstly I think that's a ridiculous demand even though we actually achieved it first time, especially with the amount of money being offered. They should just be glad of whatever success they get for a club this small.

The maximum wage i can offer is £3.1k a week whereas Celtic are paying out £6k-£10k on average with their top earner on £24k a week. The wage disparity is fine, Peterhead are a small club, but the board shouldn't expect to be able to compete with Celtic, Rangers, Hearts etc on those kind of budgets, even if we do manage it. Tweak the board expectations please!

I've been running a Man City save and the expectations have been surprisingly low - achieve European qualification and that's been it for the last five seasons (could do with clarify which Euro competition), despite huge sums being constantly pumped into the club. Won the champs league once and some of the domestic cups but embarrassingly I haven't won the league. Just came 6th and was told that my FA cup win had saved me for another season. Had won the League cup too. Great for some clubs but surely not Man City? In reality I'd have been out long ago. So it seems to work both ways.

In reality i belive the expectations are all the same as what you lot have described. Win a trophy with a team and you are going to get brownie points regardless of what trophy it is. Man City at the start of FMH2011 were technically after breaking into the top 4 but would of been happy with European qualification so you would naturally keep your job. Winning the champions league is a major competition that would save your skin even if you finished 10th in the league. In real life, Man City have pumped tons and tons of money into the club but if they dont win the league this year i doubt Mancini would be sacked if he still finished in the top four :)

The problem with football in real life is also everyone expects more from your club even though you have just gone up a division they still expect you to smash teams at home and finish in the play-offs which very rarely happens and loads of managers are now getting sacked due to boards expecting way too much without pumping the millions of pounds into the club.

I agree the board expectations need slightly tweaking but not too much so we dont lose realism in the game :)

I agree the board expectations need slightly tweaking but not too much so we dont lose realism in the game :)

I think it just needs to be a bit more clever than it currently is. Obviously it's a game, so we want some lattitude, but even so, I would expect the boards of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea to be insistent on trophies or else. Equally, small clubs done good I would expect to have a supportive board who were grateful of their day in the sun, not make ludicrous demands and then not hand over the cash to back them up. It's probably because I finished 2nd that they then expect it again the next year. Currently, Peterhead have now actually made it through two rounds of qualification to the group stages of the Champions League while Celtic got knocked out and are in the Europa. Highly amusing, but will my megalomaniac board now demand Champions League football next season because we got there this season?

Archived