FM 12 new features are nice,but...

Apos

With Football Manager 12 being on the horizon, FM being one of my favourite games and FM11 gathering dust for over 6 months now, I think the combination of those calls for questioning whether some serious issues FM11 had have been fixed, because the "information" given for FM 12 say absolutely nothing about improving what had flaws in 11. Sure,all the new features are nice and most of them will actually make the game a lot better,but in order to make it better,it has to be good in the first place. It won't matter if I can change leagues at any time if I don't want to play the game because of the frustration it can cause.

So let's start with the obvious: Has the match engine improved? I doubt anyone cares whether we get 2 new camera modes or new animations. We want the game not to cheat on us. Seriously, I don't want to buy the game, create or find a tactic that is great and in the end of the day I make 80 shots only to lose with 2-1.

Now,let's go to the less obvious ones:

1) Has the sponsorship scaling got tweaked? In FM2011 if you did LLM you were doomed to have no money for like ever. I personally always liked to manage in Sweden and it was to my surprise that after managing to get all the way up from the second divisions to the Premier, that I would be doomed to have an annual sponsorship of 30.000 euros, whereas the worst team in the division had at least 300-350.000 and the highest was at 750.000. You could end up winning the damn Champion's League and the sponsors would still snob you for the next millenia or smth.

2) Have the interviews, especially the manager comments been looked into? Especially in FM11 the comments were almost always hillarious and uncalled for. You could be standing first with 15-20 points difference and you'd still get comments that the team is gonna drop this year.

3) Has the match preparation been tweaked at all? It was an excellent idea but sadly in FM11 it was more something that caused problems than make the game any more fun. Which is ok, taking in account it was its "test year". It was always astonishing to see that ever asking your players to play a bit slower or faster would cause notable drops in the familiarity. They are supposed to be professionals, not programmed robots who can't execute any order different than what you've given them at the start.

Which brings me to a question that I've done 2 or 3 times over the past year and it always resulted to a thread lock. Were the AI teams EVER forced to obey to the match preparation feature? Because most of the time in the middle of the game,the AI teams change tactics without any penalties whatsoever. Whereas if we were to change tactics ourselves, we were only asking for trouble.

Archived