AFC Wimbledon sponsorship

Having just caught a glimpse of them on TV and spotting the SI Games logo, why is that used on the tops? SI are a company with one product....more people are going to recognise 'Football Manager' than 'SI Games' surely?

I've no doubt a fair bit of consideration went into it, but it seems a weird marketing decision to me. Any ideas?

Apologies that this doesn't have terribly much to do with the game, but it's not quite an OTF post either.

Well, don't you think it'll be strange and slightly confusing to see Football Manager on a kit? I think SI makes more sense.

Er, no. Not in the slightest. That's the very point I'm making, Football Manager would be far more recognisable to the man on the street.

Sports Interactive is the company's name if apple decided to sponser someone they wold put apple not iphone or ipad. Plus SI started sponsering them when the team formed after the old Wimbledon moved to Milton Keynes.

How do you know which brand Apple would use for sponsorship? They have several brands, and may at any one point wish to promote one seperately.

'Irn-Bru' sponsors the rugby league, and the Scottish lower divisions (or used to), not Barr's. Barr's evidently see more worth in promoting that one brand than simply using their company name.

Bringing it back to SI, they have literally one recognisable brand, and I can't see why they don't use it?

• Administrators

I think Football Manager used to appear on the away shirt (it may still, I'm not 100%) and FML was on a shirt a couple of seasons back. Also Football Manager hoardings appear on numerous boards around the pitch. We're very proud of our relationship with AFC Wimbledon and wouldn't change a thing :)

AFC Wimbledon will have to register their new shirts on Steam for 2012 in order to stop people elsewhere getting the shirts before general release. Good job they've made it to the Football League so they should at least have an internet connection to do so.

I think it's friggin' awesome. One of the reasons I became a huge Chelsea fan was because they had Amiga as a sponsor (other great brands of computers that are now fallen into obscurity as an unknown OS are available).

And I think shirtsponsering is a great and relatively "cheap" way of getting a lot of name recognition. And more importantly, It's also a sign of a company that is healthy and doing well. Often it's quite a sign whenever a company stops sponsering that they might go bust not too far in the future.

Archived