Captaincy

What effect does having a captain with high influence have compared to a captain with low influence? Does it actually make a difference to your team or is the effect negligible. Also, if you sub your captain during a game is it going to have any effect on your team and how they perform for the rest of the game?

thanks

High influence is a must, it does make a difference to how the team plays, subbing the captain can have an adverse effect.

The example I use is Lahm & Schweinsteiger at Bayern Munich. I chose Lahm as captain and Schweinsteiger as VC on the advice of my assistant, S'teiger had a higher influence attribute. I always felt that the team played better when S'teiger was captain and I rested Lahm, similarly if I had Lahm on the bench and brought him on so he took over as captain the performance semed to drop.

yeh thats what i thought although i wasnt sure because atm van de vaart is my captain and when he is playing i normally do better but i wasnt sure that it was just his good playing ability icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by nots:

does the age of the captain have any effect? miguel veloso would be a good captain but he is still young so i put him vice

I'm not sure. I've asked this before as well, personally I don't see why it would unless it was very dramatic e.g. a 17 yr old wonderkid with 20 influence is a future captain not a captain now.

Originally posted by Nomis07:

I'm not sure. I've asked this before as well, personally I don't see why it would unless it was very dramatic e.g. a 17 yr old wonderkid with 20 influence is a future captain not a captain now.

i've had this as well, regen wonderkid, touted as the next fabio cannavaro, leader type personality. i put him as captain at 22 and he felt "unsure if he could deal with the pressures of captaincy at such a young age" or something to that affect. not that he played any different, but he did get that concern.

i'm a year later now, kept him as captain at 23 and he had no concerns this year.

At the start of my current season i changed my captain and i've noticed that the number of yellow cards my team are getting has tripled so far! Might be a coincidence but i've suddenly gone from the best behaved for the last three seasons to the worst! I never thought of my new captain as dirty but he does have a high aggression attribute.

As suggested, the precise effect of the captain is difficult to quantify but is definitely there.

I have Gerrard as my captain. Now, he rarely gets a rating of 8+ and doesn't score many, but the team plays much better with him there.

I started with Micah Richards as vice and he wasn't happy. Next season I relieved him if the duty but in the third returned it - with him being 2 years older he's much more comfortable.

yeah but that effect on micah richards is on a personel level. I'm trying to work out if having a young captain will effect the team specifically rather than people getting upset because 'player X is captain' and they feel they could do a better job.

Originally posted by nots:

yeah but that effect on micah richards is on a personel level. I'm trying to work out if having a young captain will effect the team specifically rather than people getting upset because 'player X is captain' and they feel they could do a better job.

I think its taken as read that if being given the captaincy affects him personally it will also affect the team he's captaining....

captains will improve their influence as they continue to stay in the role and get older. as long as the player has the right mental stats, you're fine. in FM06, for example, I had Steven Taylor as my Newcastle captain from the 2nd season on (i.e. 2006-07 season onwards) and we won the UEFA Cup, finished top 4 in the league on two occasions, all while he was under 25 years old.

There's also their hidden attributes such as Important Games, Controversy, Sportsmanship, Temperament, ...

Another issue I think is that you shouldn't choose a new player to be the captain without a good reason to as loyal players are more likely to make the team happy. And I'm not sure if not speaking the language of the country is a good idea...

Yes, in addition to the player's attributes you have to consider how fluent he is in the native language (e.g. French at L'Arse icon_wink.gif ), his age and how long he's been at the club. Whereas you CAN bring in a new signing (experienced ol' warhorse) to take the captaincy, you might end up with a 'Savage' situation; normally a player who's been at the club a while is a better option.

Archived