Pre Ordering VIa Steam

I found Steam usually has a good pre-order price in the two weeks before release.

And as other's mentioned, you don't have to wait for a game to deliver or for a store to open. You don't have to drive or walk to the store and stand in line and drive back. Pay, download, play. That's it.

And it will automatically download the latest patch when available.

2007 or 2008 was the last time I bought a hard copy. I've never had a problem losing game data or anything. Nor have I had trouble playing the game when I was lakeside in Tennessee without an internet connection. Start the computer, Steam will pop-up and say it can't find an internet connection. Click continue in offline mode, and fire up FM. Easy-peasy.

I have not been successful in transferring a save from one computer to another. Though I only tried once and it wasn't out of neccessity, I was just f'ing around.

I found Steam usually has a good pre-order price in the two weeks before release.

And as other's mentioned, you don't have to wait for a game to deliver or for a store to open. You don't have to drive or walk to the store and stand in line and drive back. Pay, download, play. That's it.

And it will automatically download the latest patch when available.

2007 or 2008 was the last time I bought a hard copy. I've never had a problem losing game data or anything. Nor have I had trouble playing the game when I was lakeside in Tennessee without an internet connection. Start the computer, Steam will pop-up and say it can't find an internet connection. Click continue in offline mode, and fire up FM. Easy-peasy.

I have not been successful in transferring a save from one computer to another. Though I only tried once and it wasn't out of neccessity, I was just f'ing around.

As i play the game on two PC at various times i would be interested to find out if other members are able to transfer games when done through steam.

Transferring saves works the same whether you use Steam or not. They're in the same place in your Documents folder - just copy from there and paste in the same place on the other PC. Or you can just keep the saves on a USB stick and move that between computers.

release on midnight, you can pre-load so no need to wait until the day it's released

fast downloads - make sure you set up the server settings right though, some gates are faster than others depending on your area

achievements - not for everyone

auto patching

no travelling

no losing your dvd disk or damaging it

thats about it

last year we got it earlier than midnight too - which then made the non-steam users cry

Transferring saves works the same whether you use Steam or not. They're in the same place in your Documents folder - just copy from there and paste in the same place on the other PC. Or you can just keep the saves on a USB stick and move that between computers.

I feel like 2008 or 2009 there were some additional files that needed to be transferred in addition to the basic save game. That was the last time I tried transferring a game.

Windows Live Sync works a treat for syncing games between PC's and the cloud, also, in syncing your docs folder it keeps your graphics and such up to date between PC's. Same goes for shortlists, tactics etc.

I like that I don't have the clutter of a box.

I like that I needn't swap discs between Desktop and two laptops.

I like that Steam lets me do a backup to my network drive which saves a redownload in event of corruption.

I like that it verifies game files and fixes corrupted ones which often helps with xml fault popups.

I like the achievements which give plenty of new ideas for challenges.

Why is it that the poll question?

Created one as the other two were closed, one was getting rather heated which is fair enough but looking at the results its very divided in for and against, seems this is a very dangerous way to go right now judging by peoples feelings.

Advantage:

You'll get to play it on release day at whatever time Sega want it to be available from. Provided your internet is fast enough to download it before said release time. Steam normally allow games to be downloaded or day or two in advance (but you can't activate it).

Disadvantage:

Steam will be more expensive.

You don't get a boxed copy.

Usually amazon get it to you for release day and will be cheaper anyway, rendering Steam pre-ordering a bit pointless. You can eve buy the game and get first class delivery cheaper than what Steam offer.

No, because the game is linked to your account (which is stored online, on Steam servers) so all that would happen is you install the Steam client again, and then re-download all your games.
But I am guessing if you lost / forgot your account and password details your game would be gone forever?

release on midnight, you can pre-load so no need to wait until the day it's released

fast downloads - make sure you set up the server settings right though, some gates are faster than others depending on your area

achievements - not for everyone

auto patching

no travelling

no losing your dvd disk or damaging it

thats about it

last year we got it earlier than midnight too - which then made the non-steam users cry

Apart from the guys who got their pre-ordered hard copies delivered early. ;)

Is there any possibility that the price on Steam could drop between now and the release date?

Maybe a 10% off pre-order offer - that happens every now and then. Other than that, the current price is the standard release price on Steam for big titles.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived