Have you ever tried using AND had success with

As the title says :)  

144 members have voted

1. 1. As the title says :)

• A single striker formation WITH a target man
    • Fullbacks or Wingbacks on Attack instruction
    • Sweeper or Libero
    • A long ball tactic

My 4-3-3 Attack uses fluid, direct passing (shouted to 'Get the ball Forward' and 'Work into the Box') and attacking fullbacks to great success. I regularly see my fullbacks - especially the one that has the 'Hug the Line' PM - deep in the channel looking for a pass from the playmaker CMC or one of the outer MCs.

I ran a 4-2-3-1 with direct passing and a single target man (dzeko)- two wingers and adv playmaker support with man city, Dzeko averaged 40 goals for two straight seasons- lots of headers.

Run a 4-3-3 that morphs into a 2-5-3 or a 3-4-3 (depending if i run with two wingback attacks or one) with barca atm (this is a tactic i picked up from someone else) had bale and alves as the wingbacks (in a fb spot)

A Full House! Though not all in the same version of FM.

I used a long ball tactic to a lone target man (run onto ball) a few FMs ago to take Oxford up the leagues. I just had a really pacy striker, great off the ball, and a couple of decent passing midfielders and scored all my goals exclusively from one-on-ones. My striker couldn't finish for toffee, which meant I had to change things up once we reached the championship and the chances were far fewer, but it was great for the lowest leagues.

In FM10, which is the last game I bought, I play with a Barcelona-modelled formation, and thus a right wing back on attack instruction, though I have made some custom changes (gave him a free role, set his mentality to the highest attack level, stopped his crossing) so that I can play Barca-esque through-the-middle passing football.

They're bloody useful in a free role, because when they decide to come inside the AMR and make a run between the FB and CB, the defence don't have a clue how to cover them.

The Libero was even more unmarkable. I finally got it (sort of) working in FM09, but it was a huge bloody effort, and I think I cheated with FMRTE to get a "gets forward whenever possible" PPM on the player, after he constantly refused to learn it. I had a perfectly gelled squad (5 Years with no transfers) and still needed to get PPMs, instructions and formation just right, before I could get the Libero to go the hell forward and be useful.

And even then, sometimes he'd dribble straight into the back of midfielders and then just stand there while their ST would dribble through the gaping centre of your defence and score.

It was worth it, though, for the times he intercepted, slalomed through midfield and then scored from the edge of the area, or played a perfect through ball. A Romanian newgen called Iannou Smarandache was the guy I had there - 20 anticipation, positioning, tackling, and 18 marking, dribbling, passing, creativity. You've always got to retrain a DM, if you want the right attribute distribution.

I generally retrain short DMs to get my wing backs also. And tall DMs for my ball-playing CBs. The CB/DM/MC newgens fill about half the positions in my teams.

I tried long ball tactic with to head and couldn't get it to work.

I have played a target man with a 'run onto ball' instruction, and that's how I always prefer to setup teams so I use that a lot, especially when I don't have good strikers or only 1 good striker.

Libero, never in a million years. They just don't work. Not worth the risk.

Attacking Wing/Full Backs, sure. That just depends on the quality of my team compared to others.

"Single striker target man" and "long ball"- not on FM10 or 11.

Attacking full backs- this is recognised as one of the major flaws in the ME (overlapping full backs aren't passed to as much as they should be, and therefore aren't effective enough), but I have got it to work. However, I find they're more useful when they act responsibly defensively.

Must set fullbacks to run with the ball if you want them to get really attacking. I always use a terget man and if I don't have 2 good strikers available I play lone striker in a 4-4-1-1. Sure, a lone striker can have bad games but they can also have great games, if your attacking mids and wide players pitch in you will be fine.

A single striker formation WITH a target man

Voted "Yes". Mostly with lower league clubs, but Macheda is doing rather well for me in that role at the moment in Liga BBVA with Granada.

Fullbacks or Wingbacks on Attack instruction

Voted "No". I don't particularly like to have my full-backs set to "attack", but I do usually have them set to "automatic". Technically speaking, I could have voted "yes", but they defend/support/attack depending on situations during matches.

Sweeper or Libero

Voted "No". Just not something I've every really tried, or fancied using in FM. I've a back four system that has worked solidly since about FM08. Reluctant to change a winning formula and always play two "automatic" full-backs, with "stopper" and "cover" centre-backs.

A long ball tactic

Voted "Yes". Again mostly in lower leagues, but also when I'm trying to "bully" more technically gifted opponents, using a long ball and physical approach. Actually tends to work rather well in Spain against the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona. Winning "ugly" has brought me some great results as I've climbed with Granada CF.

A single striker formation WITH a target man

Yes, never worked but iam using hernadez at MU as a signle striker as poacher and hes scoring

Fullbacks or Wingbacks on Attack instruction

I often use when i play as MU against weaker or teams that dont have strong fullbacks of their own

Archived