Angry Players: Should I Sell?

I have a player who is upset with a fine I levvied against him. After his first red, I gave him a warning and he was OK. After his suspension, he got a second red and I issued a 1 week fine. He threw a fit and when I tried to initiate conversations, he says Our relationship has broken down and I have lost patience with you... etc. I do not get the option to discuss anything with him. His morale was poor and now it is OK and I have continued to play him.

I am coming to the transfer window and wanted some advice from the community- has anyone ever encountered this situation before? Should I sell him during the window or, if we do OK, will I be able to talk to him again soon? I don't want to sell, but if there is no hope, I want to make sure that I can get some money before his contract runs out.

Depends how good he is, how much you're paying him. If hes really good and paid like it you can try to talk him round a few times and if it still doesn't work try to ship him. I often end up annoying pretty much no hope youth team players, they wake up next day with their contract torn up in their face.

I once bought a 22-year-old £40m striker, who was unhappy at a fine I gave him after three months at the club. He only played five games after that - just enough in the last year of his contract to force a one-year extension. I'm not sure he had the career he'd hoped for when he left on a free aged 29.

Players who show you that much disrespect should be sold or otherwise leave the club at the first opportunity. Their professionality, loyalty and sportsmanship are all probably low, and temperament, controversy are probably high. They disrupt the harmony at the club and are difficult to motivate. Even if you can make them happy again, there is no guarantee they won't make more noise in the future.

So sell or fire him asap.

If a player talks back to you, sell him instantly. Keeps the discipline up and you know that your squad will be ready to give it your all for any game if they never talk back to you. Provided you're being reasonable that is.

Archived