pointless stats/merging stats

they are completely different things :confused:

jumping - how high you can get off the ground

heading - how well you can make contact and direct the ball using your head

pace - how fast you can run

acceleration - how quickly you can get up to speed

fitness - how well you recover from injuries and how your body stands up to challenges etc

stamina - how much you can run around without being worn out, both in terms of physical and cardio etc.

http://dictionary.reference.com/

Different stats for completely different things. Jumping ability doesn't have any bearing on heading bar getting off of the ground. If they were correlated as you suggest then why don't football teams put pro high jumpers at centre back? And pace is sustained effort, while acceleration is the ability to increase your pace quickly. Different things.

I've got to agree with Hershie and UH. It makes sense to me to have different stats for those things.

The only attributes I see as superfluous are Long Shots, Consistency and Pressure-handling, all of which seem like they should just be derived from existing attributes instead of being totally independent.

There are many attributes that are used very rarely in the ME.

The attributes that are used the most are Pace, Decisions, Anticipation and Technique. These are used almost continuously the whole 90 minutes and are therefore very important to all players.

At the bottom of the "usefulness scale" are attributes that are used very rarely, or, when they are used are influenced heavily by other attributes - diluting their impact. These are all the Technical Attributes except Technique and Dribbling.

You see, many look for Finishing when they sign strikers, not knowing that Composure and Balance are both vastly more important for goalscoring than Finishing. In order to come into a goalscoring position, there are many attributes being used - such as Pace, Off the Ball, Decisions, Anticipation, Determination etc. When he is in such a position, the ME checks his Composure to see if he keeps his calm and gets to use the next attribute in line; Balance. If he is composed (in that situation) the ME checks his Balance to see if he is able to use the next attribute in line; Finishing... but before his shot is calculated against the keeper the ME checks another attribute; Technique, which is the overarching "Boss" skill for all Technical Attributes, adjusting the end product of all this calculation - the shot - accordingly.

Finishing only checks the technical quality of the shot and measure it against the quality of the goalkeeper, not its direction or anything else. For most goals you score Finishing is entirely unimportant, but if a player is very good at it he may score on situations where all the other attributes were unhelpful... in other words difficult trickshots and such.

You can really think like this for all the Technical Attributes (except Dribbling and Technique). So Mental Attributes > Physical Attributes > Technical Attributes.

is there any point to having a seperate 'jumping/heading' stat? surely they are both very much connected? as is the same with the 'pace/acceleration' attributes. not to mention 'fitness/stamina'. surely they could be merged?:confused:

Fifty Pence head Antonie Sibierski says there is as do Emil Heskey and Peter Crouch.

The only truly superfluous attributes [NOT 'stats'] are long throws and eccentricity (and maybe running out) which are really PPMs.

I don't think Long Throws is a PPM, since it's an "ability" rather than "tendency". Flair should really be a PPM, since it details how they play, rather than how good they play. It should be possible for a player to play contrary to what they are good at (and for a player to consistently play to his weaknesses) - i.e. Flair 20, but plays short simple passes (or Long Shots 1, but tries shots from distance). Long Throws is basically how good they are with long throws, whilst "Low, bullet throw" (or whatever it's called) is the PPM that can exist for Rory Delaps or players with no upper-body strength whatsoever.

There are many attributes that are used very rarely in the ME.

The attributes that are used the most are Pace, Decisions, Anticipation and Technique. These are used almost continuously the whole 90 minutes and are therefore very important to all players.

At the bottom of the "usefulness scale" are attributes that are used very rarely, or, when they are used are influenced heavily by other attributes - diluting their impact. These are all the Technical Attributes except Technique and Dribbling.

You see, many look for Finishing when they sign strikers, not knowing that Composure and Balance are both vastly more important for goalscoring than Finishing. In order to come into a goalscoring position, there are many attributes being used - such as Pace, Off the Ball, Decisions, Anticipation, Determination etc. When he is in such a position, the ME checks his Composure to see if he keeps his calm and gets to use the next attribute in line; Balance. If he is composed (in that situation) the ME checks his Balance to see if he is able to use the next attribute in line; Finishing... but before his shot is calculated against the keeper the ME checks another attribute; Technique, which is the overarching "Boss" skill for all Technical Attributes, adjusting the end product of all this calculation - the shot - accordingly.

Finishing only checks the technical quality of the shot and measure it against the quality of the goalkeeper, not its direction or anything else. For most goals you score Finishing is entirely unimportant, but if a player is very good at it he may score on situations where all the other attributes were unhelpful... in other words difficult trickshots and such.

You can really think like this for all the Technical Attributes (except Dribbling and Technique). So Mental Attributes > Physical Attributes > Technical Attributes.

I had to retrain my eyes after years of looking at the technical attributes first.

Archived