Penalties taken by players on a hattrick

Should players on a hattrick take a penalty?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should players on a hattrick take a penalty?

• Yes, they should be given the opportunity
    • No, set penalty takers should as normal
    • There is already an option in FM to choose.

On a recent match, my centre back had scored 2 goals. I then won a penalty only for my centre back to step up to take it (overriding my penalty takers) and he missed. I would never want a player to do this but I don't think this option can be changed on FM11. Can anyone help on this issue or do you think there needs to be a way of stopping this on FM12 (e.g. a tick box option for players who have scored a brace to override penalty takers)?

I've never had that. However sometimes I do think that it'd be nice for us to be able to choose who takes a penalty before it's taken. I usually just go with whatever the staff say at the start of the season for who may be suitable for taking penalties. During the season though, I may sign someone with better penalty taking attributes and I always forget to add him into the preferred list for penalties. Asking us if we want to choose someone different would be simple enough.

well I just think- say you are 2-2 and you get a penalty. It's crucial that he scores- now do you want your best penalty taker to step up or a centre back with 5 penalty taking who will be out of position if it is saved.

That's what I'm saying it should only happen if you've got a 2 goal lead

I just let my skipper decide if he's gonna let the dude on a hat-trick take it or not... Personally I like that they do, usually, get to take it but I have seen occasions where, even though players have been on a hat-trick, my "regular" penalty taker has stood up so it's not every time that it happens.

A tick box would be nice in the penalty taking tactics section. Tick for hat-trick override or something to that effect. It would be interesting if the player on the hat-trick were to complain afterwards for not giving him the chance to complete his hat-trick. Personally, I've always thought it was a nice thing to have though and if there was such a 'hat-trick override' button I would probably leave it alone.

I think It should depend on the main penalty takers relationship with the person in question, so if they had high team work, were not a greedy player or had the player going for a hat trick as favoured personnel they would hand it over, just an idea

I think they should be given the opportunity, and I think if he had scored this poll wouldn't be started ;)

Not necessarily, it happened to me and I didn't start a thread. ;)

This comes under the same bracket has do you sub a player to get a standing ovation. Scores could be 3-3 with 15 mintutes left do you give him his deserved ovation or do leave him on in hope he will score another one.

It most certainly does not sir. It's your choice to make that sub, you have no choice with the glory hunter.

This annoys me too. I would like a pop-up box in FM 12 asking me should my regular penalty taker take the penalty or the player who already scored two goals. If my regular penalty taker already scored two goals then there is no need for pop-up box. I voted for second option FWIW.

I think it should only happen if the goalscorer is actually a decent penalty taker, the match isn't crucial and the match is essentially won.

I'm not sure we should have the option to select yes/no when it happens, since a manager may not be heard all the way from the touchline.

I do think we should be able to speak to players about it ("Don't do it again.").

In reality, though, this does happen very often? I haven't seen it - in fact, I've seen more of the opposite.

I think you should change the last option on the poll to "I would like an option to choose"

But I'm with x42bn6 on this one, you can tell them your preferred taker before the game but once on the pitch players make their own decisions. I'd like to be able to have words after the game to tell them I'm not happy about it as well, but I also think it's only happened to me when I've been at least 2 or 3 goals up, never actually noticed it happen in a tight game.

I'd only want the guy on a brace to take the penalty if I was 2 goals clear already.

If it's 2-1 or 2-2 then there's no point in him getting the glory of a hattrick for the sake of it. I'd much prefer my Penalty Taker to take that penalty, especially at 2-2.

Center Backs shouldnt be scoring this much in the first place. Its really nice addition but when we lose because of missed penalty, we're getting mad. I would say lets keep it but fix this corner bug firstly. Then we will see far less our center backs in the penalty spot.

According to Fantasy Football stats

http://worldsoccer.about.com/b/2010/08/13/fantasy-premier-league-tips-defenders.htm

Vermalen scored 7 goals. But seems to be more of a Assists the defenders get.

The last time a defender got 10 goals in the league was Julian Dicks 1995-96 season for West Ham.

Dicks took all penalties and free kicks though.

Really pisses me off this, My young right winger was on a hat trick, 2-2 he went and missed, we subsequently lost 3-2, If he had of scored different game all together, as far as I'm aware there is no option to have this change? If it was 4-0 and he was on his hat trick I wouldnt be too bothered but 2-2 come on, be serious now.

I think it should only happen if the goalscorer is actually a decent penalty taker, the match isn't crucial and the match is essentially won.

I'm not sure we should have the option to select yes/no when it happens, since a manager may not be heard all the way from the touchline.

I do think we should be able to speak to players about it ("Don't do it again.").

I completely agree with this. After seeing things like a centre back stepping up to take a penalty in a cup final when the score is 2-1 it really should involve a bit of common sense.

I'd agree although there's a bit of subjective involved. My preference is still to give the guy on two goals the kick. I'd only really get bothered by it if they were a mediocre penalty taker, and we were level on points or behind by a goal with not much time left.

If my centre back (on 2 goals) has only got, say, 5 in penalties, and we're 2-0 up with 4 minutes to play, I would definitely want him to take the kick - and I'd back him to put it in.

How about a manager shout telling the team what to do or a dialogue box that asks you whether you want the team to stick to normal penalty taking procedure or to let the potential hat-trick hero have it, that way there would be no need for an absolute to be nailed down by a tick box option and you could be in control

A small problem though, we love realism. Does anyone remember when Steve Bruce went mental at Kenwyn Jones or Darren Bent because the other took the penalty to get his hat trick? :D different kettle of fish though when a center back steps up

Archived