Thanks SI/Sega - FM2012 Steam Price in Australia

How about the rest of Europe and world ?

In the past some countries customers were obliged to pay 2 or even 3 times the price of UK customers. ( and BTW UK salaries are among the higher in Europe )

Thx

SI/SEGA don't set the prices.

They are down to the importers & retailers - take it up with them.

You've got to think about it; it's not just about salaries and who is earning the most. You don't sell something by going "the average wage in that country is higher so we'll sell it at a higher price".

It comes down to tax systems in place, localisation (translating the game), packaging and distribution in the country, import excises, etc. and plenty of contributing factors, help lines, support systems in place for those countries etc.

While UK salaries are rather high, the cost of living is higher again.

Especially in London :(

Hmmm. sorry about the tiny OT but which is the price of benzin in UK ?

In my country it's 1.610 euros per liter and our salaries are 1/3 of UK ones. ( yes 1/3) average

Yes, the price on steam last year, here in Australia, was over the top.

For 2012 I didn't even bother to check on steam first and now I'm paying $49AUD from game lane instead of the $39AUD, oh well...too keen to pre-order. :)

BTW, I found the UK to be 'cheaper' than Australia while I was visiting family in April.

A pint of beer is around $4.50 and we are paying that, or more, for a Schooner (385ml), clothes and food seemed to be cheaper too.

I was in a pub in Sydney the other day and they wanted $6.20 for a Schooner....ouch!

My broadband is terrible - its the worst broadband available because the phone lines around here haven't been changed since the 60s :(

I basically have to pay for 8x the speed I'm actually getting as that's the lowest deal available.

That price is great, but I've never used Steam before. Does it installs a local copy of the game exactly the same as the boxed version.

And if we play on a different computer it installs a local version of the game there as well, activated by the Steam client?

Or are we always playing it from a remote server?

it installs it. It'll be installed in the steam directory, so you'll have to explore to find it without launching from steam, but it is there. You can put Steam in offline mode then play just fine without internet connectivity.

After activation do not uninstall Steam. You won't be able to play your game without Steam running, even in offline mode.

Cool. I installed Steam last year when thinking about it, saw the price of FM11 so uninstalled it pronto.

Actually, with Steam the prices are entirely down to the publishers.

What you say is true with regards to shop prices, but not steam prices. Sure you can allow Steam to "price it for you", but that's optional not compulsory.

This is correct.

I am very happy with the change. Thank you very much for setting a fair price, I pre-ordered on Steam as soon as I read this thread.

Archived