Will the game's evolution make some parts redundant?

This came to me whilst at work. The players roles and attacking mentality have made the sliders all but redundant. I have only ever used it to occasionally temper long shots.

This got me thinking about the Team Instructions as a whole and why we use it. So I have played four games this time with the following rules - the team is set to balanced and standard. Because I am playing as non-league AFC Wimbledon the passing is set to direct other than that everything else is set to default. That done the TI cannot be touched and the players instructions through the sliders cannot be touched.

The only thing I can change is formation, players roles, touchline shouts and opponent instructions. All four games I played a 4-1-4-1 (with AML/AMR set to inside forward attack).

I started away to Oxford in the cup - 0-0 draw

Then away to Fleetwood 2-1 win

Oxford home in the cup a 1-0 defeat in a game I was expected to be thrashed in.

York at home in 2nd v 3rd clash with a 2-1 win.

The only thing I changed was the midfield players roles but there is a big different between playing a DM- defend and two CM - support and at home at York where I played with DM - support, CM - support and advanced playmaker - attack. When York pulled a goal back to make it 2-1 I changed to DM-defend and the advanced playmaker pulled back to CM - support and it stifled their comeback.

It makes me wonder why I spent so much time trying to tweak the team instructions. It seems that the individual player roles could make them redundant. I'm am going to try and play some more tomorrow and see if it continues well for me. This new way of thinking has made this game feel new for me as it is players abilities to play their roles that matter.

Personally, I think the method you've described is the most satisfying way to play. It is much better to know you've won because you've dropped a MC support into a DMC defend role and Retained Possession than because your slider combos are 12, 8, 15, 3.

I don't even reduce long shots as 'Work Ball into Box' does it for you.

Personally, I think the method you've described is the most satisfying way to play. It is much better to know you've won because you've dropped a MC support into a DMC defend role and Retained Possession than because your slider combos are 12, 8, 15, 3. I don't even reduce long shots as 'Work Ball into Box' does it for you.

What's the difference really? By dropping the MC etc. you are still setting the sliders to a set of numbers, only they are someone else's numbers.

And how would you know for certain that's why you won?

Archived