FM09 - Not Working

My laptop isn't the best and I still play FM 09. I've played it regularly until Sunday when it randomly stopped working. I logged off to watch some tv then tried to get back on later but kept repeatedly getting the error message...

Football Manager 2009 has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.

I have reported this on Steam but no response. Has anyone experienced this before, unfortunately I'm not very good with computers so have no idea what's wrong. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure if you're on windows or mac?

But on windows go to Control Panel>Add Remove Programs. Find Steam and choose Uninstall

Make sure you have FM uninstalled first.

To reinstall Steam just google for the download of it. http://store.steampowered.com/about/

But now that you have said that you installed from a CD? You shouldn't need Steam for that? Not 100% sure though as I've never installed from CD in recent years.

Once you have everything uninstalled reboot the computer.

uninstalled everything and tried to reinstall not using steam and all was going well until i went to put in the big code on my manual, i entered it all and it said it couldnt connect to internet for some reason. so uninstalled again and done it via steam and got the same crap. going to uninstall again and try without steam again.

Might have to do with the resolution of your monitor, try change that? http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/display_change_screen_resolution.mspx?mfr=true

or you could try

Right click on the desktop icon, go to properties. under target add this (depending on where you install it) ""C:\Football Manager 2008\fm.exe" -windowed -small_screen".

Have you altered anything regarding your graphics card recently i.e. drivers or any other software recently? It's suprising how some software can affect seemingly unrelated things.

If you have, uninstall the software and try running the game again. Might have to be a matter of trial and error.

same rubbish, downloaded patch and installed then tried to open and got the same error message. doing my head in, no idea why it has just suddenly stopped working.

Uninstall again- this time clear out the cache folder ( instructions in the FAQ thread ). Then reinstall and install the 9.3.1 patch ( make sure it is this patch and not the 9.3 patch). Make sure that your graphics card drivers are fully updated then run the game.

I think we might be onto something with the graphics thing. I went into check the Monitor Resolution etc and it gave me this error message.

Invalid Display Settings

The currently selected graphics display driver can not be used. It was written for a previous version of windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of windows.

The system has been started using the default VGA driver.

Please contact your hardware manufacturer to get an upgraded driver, or select one of the Microsoft provided drivers.

Any ideas?

I think we might be onto something with the graphics thing. I went into check the Monitor Resolution etc and it gave me this error message.

Any ideas?

Yes

Go to the Start Menu

Right Click "My Computer"

Click "Manage"

Select "Device Manager"

In the Window Pane on the right click the "+" beside "Display Adapters"

Right click the icon that has appeared

Select Update Driver

When Prompted make sure that you use the "Recommended" setting.

Yes

Go to the Start Menu

Right Click "My Computer"

Click "Manage"

Select "Device Manager"

In the Window Pane on the right click the "+" beside "Display Adapters"

Right click the icon that has appeared

Select Update Driver

When Prompted make sure that you use the "Recommended" setting.

Do this.

If this doesn't work, tell us your version of Windows and your graphics card model, and I'll search for the correct driver for you.

I had this issue with FM09 through Steam as well. I just turned my computer off etc. I noticed that sometimes Steam would not start up properly either. After a few days I tied again and Steam did some kind of update and voila - all worked once more. I notice that at the top of Steam is a 'Steam' menue tab with a couple of options for 'check for client updates' and '...video driver updates'. If I were you I'd try these. I'd also try the verification and defragmentation found by right clicking FM in your games library, choosing properties and clicking each of these buttons.

Hope you sort it before your wife/girlfriend gets mad at you for getting mad :(

Archived