Need clarification on the meaning of "Normal" wide play

THOG

Does "Normal" wide play mean "stay in your normal position" (what I've assumed) or does it set wide play to the default for the selected role? I'm trying to keep my single striker central, but even with roaming off, he's constantly drifting wide. Have I misinterpreted the meaning of "Normal" wide play or is it just creative freedom at work (it's currently in the middle for my striker)?

I might be wrong but work rate also seems to affect drifting for strikers. Basically high work rate strikers will often drift in search of the ball, or tracking opposition defenders rather than patiently waiting for a team mate to win the ball and pass it to them.

I used to have problems with this but lately I haven't as much, it may be my new more traditional winger setup. I have my wingers set to cross from the byline and hug the touchline, this keeps them dead wide. My 2 midfielders pass amongst themselves and release the wingers, by the time it happens the forward is in the middle ready to head it in. This is a very header based tactic though.

I am playing a 4-4-2 with a poacher and a deeper forward who does all the link-up work so the rest of the team can get in good positions. If you're playing 4-5-1 then the forward can really drift, I've rarely been able to control it, the best I've had is inside forwards cutting in, the forward usually does a better job of 1-2's to let the inside forwards score.

Sometimes I've set my forward to cut inside, the logic seeing that if he drifts then he'll come back in.

Archived