Would You Sign Gary O'Connor?

For anyone who watched the Channel 4 Dispatchers program last night will now undoubtedly realise there is a serious problem with drugs in football and the way the FA deal and cover up players failed drug tests. Dispatchers named a few footballers that failed drug tests and were secretly banned, the most notable player being Gary O'Connor. No doubt more players names will be released over the coming weeks and months, so will you sign players that have been known to have failed a drug test? obviously this is a matter of principle as this is only a game and has no real barring on real life. But if you have signed one of these player already would you release them of their contracts, or is it just a game and don't care too much?

The problem? Possesion of cocaine is illegal.

And Cocaine is a stimulant, so it enhances your performance, plus it can lead to bad decision making on the pitch, miss-timed tackles. Imagine a footballer high on cocaine the night before breaking a guys leg, ending his career all because his reaction times were messed up.

People should be able to do what they want in there personal lives (within reason of course) as long as it doesn't effect there ability on the pitch, or in training. Drug tests should be for performance enhancing drugs only. It's all very hypocritical as people don't get pulled up for smoking or drinking alcohol which is just as bad for you, if not worse than 'illegal' (non taxed?) drugs.

In answer to your question; no I wouldn't release them as I'm really not bothered. It is just a game after all.

Yeh I'm same about recreational drug use. And recreational killing. Recreational drink driving. Recreational animal cruelty. Recreational prostitution. As long as it's recreational what harm is it?

There's nothing better than smoking a crack pipe, after 12 hours drinking, whilst driving your car through some shopping centre's with your dog tied to the back of the car, and getting head whilst its all going on........

And Cocaine is a stimulant, so it enhances your performance, plus it can lead to bad decision making on the pitch, miss-timed tackles. Imagine a footballer high on cocaine the night before breaking a guys leg, ending his career all because his reaction times were messed up.

or play like Diego and rule the world!

There's nothing better than smoking a crack pipe, after 12 hours drinking, whilst driving your car through some shopping centre's with your dog tied to the back of the car, and getting head whilst its all going on........

I do miss being a teenager!

And alcohol is what? Ever tried playing football after a really bad hangover? Dangerous and liability are two words that spring to mind.

The problem with it is that it's a stimulant. Using it gives you an advantage over the opposition.

And alcohol is a depressant.

Alcohol is both a depressant or/and a stimulant. It all depends on the amount and who is drinking it.

And I don't think anybody actually snorts coke and then runs out onto the pitch. It's a recreational drug, not performance enhancing.

It's not a stimulant, it is a depressant and acts towards the nervous system. It can seem like a stimulant when you start drinking or with large amounts of it (depending on person). When you see people that are being aggessive or louder than usual or with lots of "energy" etc. that is the result of depression of the inhibitory control functions of the brain, not stimulation.

The problem with it is that it's a stimulant. Using it gives you an advantage over the opposition.

And alcohol is a depressant.

What about Lucozade Sport? The adverts say it gives you an advantage, but I don't think it's banned...:confused:

I actually dont quite get the problem with recreational drug use within sport. I mean its not performance enhancing so whats the problem?

Cocaine can actually enhance performance.

And yes, I would sign Gary O'Connor, be it on Football Manager, or in real life.

Obviously it's all down to personal opinions, like when the program asked the fans should they be told, I bet has much of them turned around and said they don't care but they only showed the ones that said they should know.

But one thing I don't agree with is that clubs buying these players don't know. Which was the case of Barnsley when they bought O'Conner and Cheltenham with another can't remeber his name now.

If we has employees go get another job the company asks for a reference from the previous employer and if you have been a work shy, unreliable, always late worker then your reference will reflect that. So the new company if they do decided to take you on know what could happen and they could find ways to help you deal with what ever problems you have.

I know its wrong to look at footballers has products but in this day and age with the money that is paid to sign players, they are products and therefore you should know if the product your buying is faulty. This maybe a bad example but if your buying a car you would like to know if on occasions it decides to have a blown gasket, or the electrics are faulty. You can still buy the car if you want but atleast you know the facts before hand and you can make an informed decision.

So if you went to sign a player who in the past or still has a drug problem, part of the contract can state that he has to enroll on a rehab course for x amount of days, if the player doesn't then the contract can be terminated.

In the game it doesn't matter.

As for real life you would question the intelligence of someone taking illegal and detrimental to performance substances when they are in a profession where they will regularly have to provide samples for drug testing.

meh we could go round and round quoting facts, the only real difference between them all is the legal side of things, one is socially acceptable, the other is not, for whatever reasons.

One is socially acceptable in (relatively) moderate quantity... But I'm pretty sure you'd not get away with a condescending "boys will be boys" smile if you show up at work drunk, half-drunk or visibly hungover on a regular basis.

Sure, you can talk about your drinking antics and get away with it, while cocaine-fueled tales aren't equally acceptable (yet?) but that doesn't mean alcohol is acceptable and accepted as a way of "having fun" if it interferes with your career... be it professional footballer or junior accountant...

Archived