Is offering coaches new contracts the only way to keep them?

This is an area that I've wanted looked into for ages, always amazes me that your coaches will leace at the slightest sniff of an offer from another club yet it nevers seems to happen the other way round, if the coach applies for an advertised role then there should be an option to talk to the coach about why he's looking to leave.

Actually the next time I have one of my coaches being approached I will go back to the last rolling save file to see if the club that is trying to hire him has a vacancy advertised, my guess is there won't be.

This is an area that I've wanted looked into for ages, always amazes me that your coaches will leace at the slightest sniff of an offer from another club yet it nevers seems to happen the other way round, if the coach applies for an advertised role then there should be an option to talk to the coach about why he's looking to leave.

Actually the next time I have one of my coaches being approached I will go back to the last rolling save file to see if the club that is trying to hire him has a vacancy advertised, my guess is there won't be.

No, they will not always leave . After they spend certain time working with you, they will have you listed as their favorite person and possible club to. Also, same as players they have their personalities and some of them are more loyal then others.Same goes for their ambition.Check those before you sign them.

Off course if you are L1 team(example) and EPL comes knocking for them , they will go, like any sane person would.

So, in short, there is more to it then just contract.

I reckon it's linked to the amateur players bug.

If you have amateur players, and they're offered a contract elsewhere, they'll always accept. If you offer them another amateur contract, with wages at £0, they may accept yours, even though it's no different to the contract they already have.

I'm not sure that they're capable of comparing their present contract to one offered, and instead they just compare ones that they've been offered (one of which may be from their current employer).

TBH I have never seen one of my coaches turn down an uncontested contract from another club in all my years of playing FM/CM, as you right point out I do spend a fair amount of time in the lower divisions but as is the wayy with career saves I do occasionally reach teh top of food chain & even then coaches leave at the first sign of a deal elsewehere.

I know what you mean and feel the same. I understand that there are factors at play such as club preference and loyalty, but I still think there should be an action you can take other than offering a new deal. At the moment it is offer a new deal or just cross your fingers, whereas IRL there would be some sort of conversation.

TBH I have never seen one of my coaches turn down an uncontested contract from another club in all my years of playing FM/CM, as you right point out I do spend a fair amount of time in the lower divisions but as is the wayy with career saves I do occasionally reach teh top of food chain & even then coaches leave at the first sign of a deal elsewehere.

To be honest , i have completely opposite experience, last several FM's (07-11), i had rarely anyone leaves.But i tend to hire them with low reputation and certain personalities.1/2 star less in training doesn't mean much, and tends to keep clubs away from trying to hire them.

Exception would be if coach gets offer for AssMan or head Coach position, in which case it wouldn't be fair to even try keeping them.

In my experience i "always" have to offer them a new contract, in order to make them stay.

There is the occassional happening where my staff will just refuse the contract offer, from the approaching club.

Pretty annoying really.

Have been thinking about making a thread on this for ages, it's very annoying. I understand staff moving should be a part of the game, but if I offer a contract to someone who is wanted by Arsenal, perhaps, it means I don't want my staff to leave, not feel free to offer for a different staff member every time. On my current game, Arsenal came in for 6 or 7 of my coaches in the same summer. Was a bit annoying.

There's no "friendship" between you and your staff. Coaches simply follow where the money is best, despite the fact that...

- A small pay rise is meaningless if you have to move house and reorganise your life.

- Some staff are former players who are possibly millionaires - why would they jump at a slightly-higher salary as a staff member?

- It is possible that some staff at clubs work as employees, not as contractors - so they don't have contracts.

I'd like to see a lot more interaction with your staff and between your staff, and some genuine staff development in a similar vein to the way you develop players. For example, you might hire a young coach who has been a fan of the club since he was a fetus, whose ambition is to become the manager of the club (of course, he tells you his aim in life is to be assistant manager...) - so you might set him objectives that get steadily harder and harder as he develops and grows. He will only consider leaving if it makes true financial sense and he will always be hinting at a return.

On the other hand, you might have a former player who has millions in the bank whose only interest is to develop youngsters at your club. However, he regularly gets called up by his home nation to run training courses for coaches and youngsters and his contract requirements are that he is permitted to do this. It benefits you since he might not be considered a coach, but a motivating figure who does not need to be around 24/7, and lets him do community work in his "retirement". This player has little interest in leaving since he has enough in the bank already, but you would not rule out him joining other clubs where he feels loyalty to as well.

I usually holiday for3-4 weeks at the end of a season and usually have to replace a couple of coaches on my return, this despite the fact they are perhaps less than a year into a new contract. Also the compo seems to be bobbins compared to what i have to pay to get someone else. I just search for unemployed now and seem to do ok.

what irrates me is when the same club come in for all your coaches.

man city offer for my liverpool coach. i offer coach better deal and coach accepts me.

man city offer for my 2nd coach. i offer coach better deal and coach accepts me.

man city offer for my 3rd coach. i offer coach better deal and coach accepts me.

man city offer for my 4th coach. i offer coach better deal and coach accepts me.

all happens in the space of a few weeks.

man city offer for my liverpool coach. i offer coach better deal and coach accepts me.

man city offer for my 2nd coach. i offer coach better deal and coach accepts me.

man city offer for my 3rd coach. i offer coach better deal and coach accepts me.

man city offer for my 4th coach. i offer coach better deal and coach accepts me.

Exactly the same for me (same clubs involved too).

I wish that one of those 'must respond' warnings came up when I try to press continue, as sometimes I have lost coaches because other teams have poached them because I pressed continue too quickly and didn't offer a new contract. I'd like the game to prompt me to either offer a contract or have a private chat and ask the coach to stay.

I was under the impression that in real life the club that was looking for staff had to approach the club first as it is with players before being given permission to speak to the coach?

Correct me if im wrong here but there has been a few instances of this in the past Colin calderwood supposedly going to work with chris hughton never materialised because of hibs refussal to grant permission etc.

Surely this should be implemented into the game also instead of them accepting contracts willy nilly without being approached by clubs first?

I look for coaches that aren't well known. Nobody goes for them then and you can keep them on low wages.

The higher the rep the more they want and the more other clubs want them.

But I do expect a bit of loyalty from some coaches. I have mine on auto-continue and go off to get some coffee and come back and a few months later I wonder what's happened to the finishing of my strikers and I go into coaching and find out there's nobody training them.

this!

lol, but this has been happening for as many fm as i can remember, though i do think there is some times in fm11 where it takes the mick a bit i believe ive had a club try to raid 6 or 7 of my staff in one season xD

this happened to me, i was playing with an edited DB and as Brighton i had Poyet as my Assman, after 3 years i was winning the prem and man city (who had won NOTHING in the past 3 years and wernt even in the champs league) decided to try and poach him, so i offered him a MASSIVE contract (£20+ grand a week) and what happens? hes off to city for £3.000 a week........ and before anyone says City will have a higher rep than brighton, i checked with FMRTE and we had the higher one (only just but still higher)

Archived