Selling players when not getting first team football, what to do?

I have a few very, very good players in my squad who are just not getting anywhere near first team football. This is mainly due to injuries having all cleared up and so on- players such as Kranjcar, Bassong and Pavlyuchenko.

Now, so far none of these lads have complained, so no-one's asking for a move. Yet, I feel a strange yearning to sell them because I want to see them do well in their careers! The january transfer window is coming up, and would a good chance to get some funds in for new signings. However, I feel that selling them will bite me in the ass as the season unfolds.

What do you do about this situation yourselves?

I just rotate my squad. I have them sorted by appearances. And especially when playing below-par opposition I will definitely play the lads with less appearances. Come the bigger games I'll pick the best players I have.

But if you don't want to sell them make sure you make them available for the reserves to keep fit.

You could try loan them out and see how you get on without them. If you are doing alright then cash in on them. If you find out you need them then keep them around.

If you play a 442 you will need:

2 keepers

2 right backs

2 left backs

4 centrebacks

2 right wingers

2 left wingers

4 central midfielders

4 strikers

That is 22 players

You can register 25, so normally there's an extra defender, midfielder and a forward on top of that. In addition comes hot prospects in the youth team deserving a few chances throughout the season.

All of those 25 players should be at least Match Fit at all times because players lacking match fitness won't be able to play to their best when they do get the chance, and they become more tired risking injuries. On top of that they recuperate slower, so if there are 3 days until the next match and you need to play him again he would start at 90% or less. Unfit players are also unhappy and may disrupt the harmony at the club. Unfit youngsters do not develop. Unfit veterans deteriorate at an alarming speed.

So this is why I rotate heavily.

Others always pick the best XI and don't like luxury problems. Like the AI. I have this evil supercrook-laughter which I burst out with on a regular basis towards the end of the season when they start with players in the 60s or 70s because "they are the best players (even if that is with only 1 CA point)".

Archived