Judging if a player can step up from Championship to EPL

maynard.jpg

I started as Leicester and spent £4 million on Maynard mainly because I like him in real life after seeing him play for Crewe. I am trying to build an all British team so didn't mind the big price tag. As you can see so far he has been brilliant averaging just under an 8 and scoring 36 goals in 26 games. His attributes would suggest he is not quite good enough for the EPL but after such a season in real life he would at least get a chance. How much of a chance should I give him when I get promoted? I had Frazier Campbell score 20 in 20 for my Sunderland side in the EPL and Maynard has better attributes than him.

Do you give players a chance or look for replacements straight away?

I give those that performed to a high enough standard a starting place. Those that I feel are not of that standard I will try to replace. In your case, Maynard looks more than capable of performing to a good standard in the EPL. From personal experience I used Nino of Tenerife in the Liga adelante and he knocked in 40 league goals from 43. Upon promotion I stuck with him based on my experience with him on FM2010 and he served me well, scoring 28 goals against a better standard of opposition. Maynard should do the business for you. I still have retained 3 of the starting 11 from the adelante side all the way to the Europa League (Nino would be #4 had he not gone so far over the hill) so any player who is averaging over 7.3 per game in the Championship should do the job a level higher up

Have him hang on the last defender, make sure plenty of through balls from your central midfield and get his individual focus to first touch then you'll have a real goalscorer on your hands. I had the same problem with a young regen named Christopher William, such a tough name for a fanny. Anyway, rapid pace and quality finishing, worked on first touch, he then went on to score around 18/19 premiership goals and a couple in the champions league for my Southport team. 3rd choice but did a massive job when my first choice was ruled out for 8 months.

I would give him a chance in the Premier League. Attributes look good and his performances in the Championship makes him look too good for that league. If he doesnt prove to be good enough, you could always try signing Welbeck.

When I got promoted with Sheffield Wednesday on FM08 I mainly gave the boys who brought us up a chance to prove themselves in the Premiership only signing 3 or 4 players...

I think he will do a decent job in the EPL especially as he has scored against EPL teams in the cups. I was just wondering do you base opinions on attributes or performance or a bit of both?

A bit of both for me. I had a Liverpool save where Kuyt kept Torres out the side because he was performing better (this was back when Torres was a world class striker, kids). Judging the step up is harder, but I generally don't replace my better performing players.

A bit of both for me. I had a Liverpool save where Kuyt kept Torres out the side because he was performing better (this was back when Torres was a world class striker, kids). Judging the step up is harder, but I generally don't replace my better performing players.

I guess the main worry for me was signing Maynard for Sunderland and he was pretty rubbish but that save only lasted around 20 games and he only played 10 of them. The 4-4-2 I am using is aimed towards faster players, if I can get Maynards first touch and stamina up slightly then he will be okay I hope.

I usually make my own training schedules for my youngsters and use generic ones for the older players that I have used since FM08. Is it possible to raise his first touch and off the ball with a good training schedule despite the coaches saying he has reached his potential?

i have got promoted to the top division many times and kept players in the 1st team from the championship and some have done well. its only fair to give them a fair crack of the whip if you think they are good enough. with luton i had andre wisdom from league 2 to the prem and he was still starting for several seasons after.

Archived