Effective Ways to Defend

Soccer

Hi all,

I have been playing Football Manager 2011 for about 2 months.

A bit of background - I am currently playing as the manager of Tuen Mun in Hong Kong Division 1, in season 2. The team was tipped for relegation in season 1, but they managed to survive, finishing 7th out of 10 teams (the last 2 teams get relegated). The league result was:

P 18 W 4 D 7 L 7 GF 23 GA 31 Pts 19

This season, my team has improved offensively and is currently 5th, 14 points above relegation zone:

P 9 W 5 D 1 L 3 GF 17 GA 16 Pts 16

However, my team has also conceded more goals compared to last term. The most common way the opposition score was poking the ball through the 2 centre-backs. I've tried using deeper defensive line coupled with 1 of my 2 centre-backs as 'limited defender' with 'cover' role. However, that does not help much. Usually, when the ball gets played through, my centre-backs would be pretty slow in responding to that.

Anyone has any effective tactic to counter through-balls in between my centre-backs?

Hi all,

A bit of background - I am currently playing as the manager of Tuen Mun in Hong Kong Division 1, in season 2. The team was tipped for relegation in season 1, but they managed to survive, finishing 7th out of 10 teams (the last 2 teams get relegated). The league result was:

This season, my team has improved offensively and is currently 5th, 14 points above relegation zone:

However, my team has also conceded more goals compared to last term. The most common way the opposition score was poking the ball through the 2 centre-backs. I've tried using deeper defensive line coupled with 1 of my 2 centre-backs as 'limited defender' with 'cover' role. However, that does not help much. Usually, when the ball gets played through, my centre-backs would be pretty slow in responding to that.

Anyone has any effective tactic to counter through-balls in between my centre-backs?

Faster defenders, a keeper good on one-on-ones, pushing higher up can be as efficient as dropping deeper; then the defenders may have the time to disturb the running forward before he shoots unlike when the through ball comes just a few meters outside the 16-meter line. It is difficult to stop through balls in other ways than having better players who intercept the pass or read the game well. Playing more narrowly may be a solution, the same would using a defensive midfielder or two.

• 1 year later...
Hi all,

it's got to be something to do with the CMs. I'm facing a lot of thru balls between the centrebacks too, and i dont see it all that often on MOTD. therefore somehow, somewhere, my defensive CMs aren't doing what they're meant to

Archived