Scoring from Flat Bullet Throw

wazza

My DL is only 19 with a excellent long throw stat, I have successuffly trained him to take long flat bullet throws whch he does. The problem is I never seem to score from them and the oppostition Defenders seem to get to them before my players and clear them. I send my tall players foward and to near post but they generally lose out. Any advice or successful set ups from fellow FM'rs to help to get this tactic scoring goals and not losing possesion.

I've conceded to a long throw... Joe Dudgeon for some no-hope team in the cup... didn't throw the ball like that when I had him, sure he had a long throw but he never got it past the 6 yard box and by that I mean it BOUNCED before it reached the 6 yard box...

So I've seen the AI score from them, but how to do it I have no idea... I had Dudgeon on long throws individual training and he took every throw in... didn't matter that I set other players to take them, nor that I set him to stay back at all times, etc etc yada yada, he took every bloody one of them and wasted them all... no idea how to make him throw it like Delap... if they have a long flat throw now, they ain't ever playing for me :(

im not sure of precise figures but goals direct from throws are pretty rare arent they?

I'm presuming you don't really mean "direct from throws"? Because those are exceptionally rare, they need a throw to be on target and get a small touch from a defender.

Delap set up five or six in the season Stoke first got promoted. I think Blackburn have got a few in from Pedersen's throws too? Strangely though, none of Reading, Sunderland and Wolves have scored from a Halford throw to my knowledge, and he probably has the longest throw of them all.

im not sure of precise figures but goals direct from throws are pretty rare arent they?

I don't think you can legally score directly from a throw, if the ball goes into the net direct from a throw then it's a corner kick IIRC. Long throws are useful IRL, particularly in lower leagues, so it's a shame they're not implemented better in game. Then again I don't think direct free kicks are incorporated into the game very well either, the success rate of those is very very low for all teams.

sorry, by direct i mean the ball is thrown in, attacked by a player which leads to a goal, not the thrower throwing the ball directly into the net.

what i dont mean is a player flicking the ball on from a throw for another to have an attempt on goal. hope i make a bit more sense.

from the goals delap set up, weren't most of them at home as stoke's pitch is narrow

I don't think you can legally score directly from a throw, if the ball goes into the net direct from a throw then it's a corner kick IIRC. Long throws are useful IRL, particularly in lower leagues, so it's a shame they're not implemented better in game. Then again I don't think direct free kicks are incorporated into the game very well either, the success rate of those is very very low for all teams.

Unless the throw-in taker is Tom Cowan and the referee is Uriah Rennie :thup: (or was it Gurnam Singh? hmm...) Anyway, live on Sky, Stoke v Huddersfield way back in, '96/97 I think it was? TC threw his long throw in, it went straight in but the ref gave an o.g. (IIRC Sky and the dubious goals both credited TC with the goal :p)

I'm presuming you don't really mean "direct from throws"? Because those are exceptionally rare, they need a throw to be on target and get a small touch from a defender.

Delap set up five or six in the season Stoke first got promoted. I think Blackburn have got a few in from Pedersen's throws too? Strangely though, none of Reading, Sunderland and Wolves have scored from a Halford throw to my knowledge, and he probably has the longest throw of them all.

He hardly played for us (Wolves) to be fair, certainly less than 20 appearances in over 2 seasons. So hardly surprising.

Well I never seem to score either from a player flicking on a long throw straight into the net or from a player flicking one into the danger zone. My best long thrower has 14 for long throws so I assume that if you put someone on the near post from throws then eventually you should get something, never seen it happen yet though, perhaps you have to recruit Uriah Rennie in game?

He hardly played for us (Wolves) to be fair, certainly less than 20 appearances in over 2 seasons. So hardly surprising.

He played for you more than us or Sunderland. But Delap was creating a goal much more than once every 25/30 games when Halford was first with you.

[video=youtube;fuQzF8_x6jY]

It can happen in the game, ok I was Bayern Munich, Cassani took the throw and Demechalis was up to get the header in. For some reason I can't upload a better quality clip of this.

Looking at it again, doesn't look like a flat throw, ah well still a goal from a throw in.

Sheff U got a couple from a Halford throw, Beattie was just a beast when it came to getting on the end of them

[clipped video]

It can happen in the game, ok I was Bayern Munich, Cassani took the throw and Demechalis was up to get the header in. For some reason I can't upload a better quality clip of this.

Looking at it again, doesn't look like a flat throw, ah well still a goal from a throw in.

That pretty much the exact way I scored my one goal that way in 10 years...

I have chiellini, 20/20 long throws. Have tried various set-ups with a big player on the near post but haven't scored in 3 seasons. (or generated many chances that i can remember!)

In it's current form long throws are just a counter-attack generator for opponents i think.

I hate long throws with a passion until there is a diffinitive way of scoring from them I don't see the point in them so all my throws are set to short, but then I hate how many time my players passes the ball back to the thrower who for some reason decides to step over it.

I make sure I always have four players set to receive short throws (three back, one forward, and one lurking), and don't seem to have too much of a problem with them. In fact, I'm glad to see recent patching that increased the number of passbacks...

Strangely though, none of Reading, Sunderland and Wolves have scored from a Halford throw to my knowledge, and he probably has the longest throw of them all.

Portsmouth scored a couple of goals from Halford throws last season.

On the game I've seen my team score from Connor Wickham throws. There's usually a goal-mouth scramble and someone pokes it in.

Remember that on those long throws, the game selects the Corner instructions not the Attacking Throw-In instructions. It is difficult to tune the Attacking Corner instructions to be optimal in both circumstances. If you have the "corner cheat" instructions where everything is intended to make the one instructed to Attack Near Post stand alone on corners, this will also be dangerous if you have someone with bullet-throws. If not, it is not so dangerous.

A friend of mine is struggling a lot whenever he meets Delap and Pedersen w/friends according to himself. I don't.

Remember that on those long throws, the game selects the Corner instructions not the Attacking Throw-In instructions. It is difficult to tune the Attacking Corner instructions to be optimal in both circumstances. If you have the "corner cheat" instructions where everything is intended to make the one instructed to Attack Near Post stand alone on corners, this will also be dangerous if you have someone with bullet-throws. If not, it is not so dangerous.

A friend of mine is struggling a lot whenever he meets Delap and Pedersen w/friends according to himself. I don't.

Huh? There must be more than one "corner cheat," then. I have my best aerial attacker set to attack the far post with the corner kick going to far post and a good technique guy challenging the keeper, another standing on the far. For a long time, I had two back, one lurking, one "if needed," and everybody else forward. But I moved one of the "forward" instructed guys to attack near so he could be the target of the long throws. He loses out the vast majority of the time, but between the lurker, the two set to "Back", and the thrower, we do a good job of chasing down the clearance.

My whole game is predicated around maintaining attacking possession, and bullet throws don't hurt me much. OTOH, they don't help much, either...

I've recently trained a player to be able to deliver bullet throws & so far it has been a waste of time, the throw-ins either fail to clear the first defender, drops on the head of a defender standing unchallenged on or around the penalty spot or sails perfectly into the embrace of the waiting keeper.

I guess it might take time for my players to get used to the new set-piece so I'll give it until the end of next season before passing full judgement.

Stoke scored around 7 in our first year up, it has declined since then. It's still a threat, but more often than not the corners or free kicks it can help lead to or even sustained pressure probably does result in more goals through the course of the year but those aren't counted as because of the long throw.

I've seen a few of Halfords throws and when I'm used to watching Delap at Stoke its like watching a replay because they're so slow. I imagine that is why no one scores from them, he can throw it far but it seems to take such a long time to get there. Halford shouldn't have the bullet throw PPM in-game because they are just far too sluggish to be a real threat.

Ryan Shotton is one to watch out for though, he's our next generation Delap :p

I score about 6/7 season from my regen who has got 18 for long throws and has also been trained on bullet throws. I don't set it up that way i.e. my throw ins are set to mixed not long nor do I have any player listed under the "throw in takers" so basically the player seems to take a long throw if he "thinks" it is suitable and only on his side of the pitch (he is a right back)

Remember that on those long throws, the game selects the Corner instructions not the Attacking Throw-In instructions. It is difficult to tune the Attacking Corner instructions to be optimal in both circumstances.

Thank you. This explains why I'm having trouble. My corners are set up to aim far post, and have one CB stand on the far post and the other attack it. Needless to say my long throws into the box have been going straight to the opponent's defenders, as there is no one on the near side.

I have scored my first two this season 1. the throw was from just the attacking side of halfway - total bullet onto targetman head at top of box and in. This was a flat bullet throw with throw set to long and targetman set to forward. 2. loopy throw from byline, defender misjudged the bounce and it bounced over his head and my striker tapped in after running from 20yards away. The striker was set to forward at throws but is never anywhere near goal when the throw comes from the byline.

Archived