Taking the bull by the horns

One of things that I've always loved about Football Manager is how every once and a while there is a player who for one reason or another just busts your original opinion of them and suddenly becomes a world beater. It's rare, but when it happens it is definitely one of the best things in the game.

My recent its been the signing of a youngish centrehalf in my second second in charge of Stromsgodset in Norway. Having arrived for a fairly cheap fee he was meant to be backup to my current back pairing and in fact was 4th choice at the start of the season. An inexplicable injury storm later though left me with no choice but to start him in the first game of the season and simply put he's now the first name on the team sheet. He's even just decided to score a 7 minutes and 12 seconds hattrick just for the fun of it. Why not? He would have had four if my greedy striker did get a touch on the line. He's even the makeshift captain as it stands!

Anyone have any good stories of players who have just taken their chance and made themselves a key part of your side?

Has to be El Hamdaoui in my Ajax side, when I took them over I've tried many combinations with strikers and just couldn't find the right one. Then I thought about him, but he couldn't get the right form and scored only two goals in seven games. After a few weeks my first choice striker got injured. I replaced him with El Hamdaoui who turned into absolute beast! Scored 18 goals in 17 matches, including two at Old Trafford which took us to CL semi-final.

Signed Charis Pappas for my Larisa team mainly for the reason that he's quick (16 Pace/acc), he's not particularly good at anything else although is natural at RW/ST. Intended to use him mainly as an impact sub again because of his pace and versatility for a season until my hot prospect RW developed enough (Pappas is also 30) but he just kept doing the business so became a regular. I play a lone striker and he has no strength so he's not ideally suited for that role but he began tearing some quality defences apart second half of the season until he got injured, ended up my second top scorer but maybe would've been no. 1 but for the injury. Was one of my best players by average rating too, not bad for a squad player on modest wages :)

David Bentley. Signed on a free as back-up when Spurs released him at the end of his contract. Went on to spend 5 seasons with my Wolves squad, creating about 20 goals a season from an AMR position, scoring a few and having an Av Rating of about 7.40. Complete surprise, I signed him thinking he'd be worth a few million and I'd sell him on in 6-12 months once I'd found someone a bit more promising/youthful. He was soon starting due to injuries and then never looked back.

Him playing AMR and Adam Johnson in the AML position = absolutely devastating. His attributes went downhill quite quickly and I wanted to keep him as back-up, out of a sense of loyalty more than anything, but he was asking for £45k+ a week and I just thought it was a waste of money, so let him go on a free :(

Now that's awesome!

Yeah, I can even spell his name without checking now... I just called him Houdini, lol, I watch the whole match and he was just a box of tricks. The only shame is that he's 34 now and Hereford are in the Championship playing a wingless formation, the only game he's had he didn't show up... I'm hoping he decides to retire and gains some awesome staff attributes cos I'd love to keep him on but I don't think he's going to get many more games now, sadly.

Yeah, I can even spell his name without checking now... I just called him Houdini, lol, I watch the whole match and he was just a box of tricks. The only shame is that he's 34 now and Hereford are in the Championship playing a wingless formation, the only game he's had he didn't show up... I'm hoping he decides to retire and gains some awesome staff attributes cos I'd love to keep him on but I don't think he's going to get many more games now, sadly.

89th minute subs until he reaches your appearance record methinks. Legendary status will be obtained and you'll want to build a papier mache statue on your driveway to honour his fantastic career.

Archived